The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Camp Info (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/58103-camp-info.html)

Rufus Thu May 13, 2010 08:45am

Camp Info

I'm signed up for my first camp this weekend and have yet to receive any information regarding agenda, schedule, or what I need to bring in terms of note-taking or equipment. I've sent several follow-up emails to the camp coordinator and received only a "be at this place at this time" reply. Not very helpful that.

So that I don't end up bringing everything including the kitchen sink with me, do you all have any advice in terms of what to bring to instructional camps like this? This is a combined camp for college and HS and I'm attending the HS portion. Thanks in advance.

Raymond Thu May 13, 2010 09:04am

Take at least one pair of long pants to any camp you attend. Always have a notebook and pen on you when in a classroom setting. Always bring both black socks and white ankle socks.

Bring a pair of khaki long pants and khaki short pants and one or two plain polo shirts. Bring a pair of athletic flip-flops to be comfortable between games.

Smitty Thu May 13, 2010 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 676686)
Take at least one pair of long pants to any camp you attend. Always have a notebook and pen on you when in a classroom setting. Always bring both black socks and white ankle socks.

Bring a pair of khaki long pants and khaki short pants and one or two plain polo shirts. Bring a pair of athletic flip-flops to be comfortable between games.

Why bring the items I colored in red?

CLH Thu May 13, 2010 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 676690)

So that you don't look like the camp rookie or wannabe by putting on the camp tshirt over your uniform everywhere you go.

Raymond Thu May 13, 2010 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 676690)

Socks: Because some camps prefer campers where white socks when wearing shorts.

Khakis/polo shirt: Just so you look semi-professional when away from the court.

Also, his camp is held in conjuction with a college camp. Never know whose eye you might catch. You wanna look the part.

Judtech Thu May 13, 2010 10:01am

You also may want to bring a VHS tape or something to use in case they are using video on one of the courts.
You can NEVER bring enough socks!! If you wear something under your officiating shirt then bring several of those. It sounds small but make sure that all of the "other" clothing that you wear/bring does not have any type of HS/College logo on them, you want to give the impression you are impartial.
As always don't forget to mark your socks and underwear with a laundry safe marker!!!
And finally make sure you bring BLACK SHOES to officiate in. Very important. Honestly, I know people who dont bring them.
Have fun and best of success

Raymond Thu May 13, 2010 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 676693)
And finally make sure you bring BLACK SHOES to officiate in. Very important. Honestly, I know people who dont bring them.
Have fun and best of success

Had a buddy who was attending a camp in my hometown. At was at the same venue ref'n for the locals. Camp required long pants and he didn't bring any. Luckily I had an extra pair I keep in my trunk for him to use.

Mark Padgett Thu May 13, 2010 12:42pm

Don't forget your meds. Oh yeah - some camps will give you a higher rating if you bring a bunch of hot moms.

tref Thu May 13, 2010 01:13pm

Make sure not to wear "ABCs" camp shirt to "DEFs" camp. Some camp directors take that serious!

"Do you know where you're at camper? This isn't so & so's camp, it's mine." :D

Raymond Fri May 14, 2010 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 676684)
I'm signed up for my first camp this weekend and have yet to receive any information regarding agenda, schedule, or what I need to bring in terms of note-taking or equipment. I've sent several follow-up emails to the camp coordinator and received only a "be at this place at this time" reply. Not very helpful that.

So that I don't end up bringing everything including the kitchen sink with me, do you all have any advice in terms of what to bring to instructional camps like this? This is a combined camp for college and HS and I'm attending the HS portion. Thanks in advance.

Is your camp this weekend or later this month?

stripes Mon May 17, 2010 05:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 676686)
Always bring both black socks and white ankle socks.

Not in my neck of the woods. Black socks are a no-no (no idea why...maybe because it looks bad?). Ask the people in your area what is acceptable and do that.

IREFU2 Tue May 18, 2010 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripes (Post 677279)
Not in my neck of the woods. Black socks are a no-no (no idea why...maybe because it looks bad?). Ask the people in your area what is acceptable and do that.

All of the camps that I go to (NCAA-W) will specify either pants or shorts. Most say you can wear either, but I only wear pants when I have to or its specified. When wearing the shorts, I always wear white socks (below the ankle). I was blasted at a camp for wearing black socks one year. As far as the flip flops, khakis and polo shirt, I only wear this kind of stuff after the games are over for that day. I stay in my gear incase I am asked to fill in. IMO, its not proper to change and walk around the gym in such attire while games are going on, unless you are a big dog!!!!!

Raymond Tue May 18, 2010 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 676692)

Khakis/polo shirt: Just so you look semi-professional when away from the court.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 677331)
...As far as the flip flops, khakis and polo shirt, I only wear this kind of stuff after the games are over for that day. I stay in my gear incase I am asked to fill in. IMO, its not proper to change and walk around the gym in such attire while games are going on, unless you are a big dog!!!!!

Already had that covered. ;)

However, when I at the gym in between games, striped shirt comes off and is replaced with the camp's T-shirt. And the sneakers come off and are replaced with the flip-flops.

DLH17 Tue May 18, 2010 11:21am

I can't imagine why anyone would be blasted for wearing black ankle cut or no-show socks when wearing shorts.

I'll bet the evaluator was "advanced age". :D

Raymond Tue May 18, 2010 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLH17 (Post 677336)
I can't imagine why anyone would be blasted for wearing black ankle cut or no-show socks when wearing shorts.

I'll bet the evaluator was "advanced age". :D

It's one of those "Rome" things....that's why it's best to bring white socks just in case.