The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Proper to laugh at a coach

Last week, I was officiating an AAU tournament. A player drives to the basket and gets his shot blocked by a player that outweighed him by more than 50 pounds. The player jumps straight up and blocks the shot, but the offensive player runs into the defensive player. The contact - which I ruled incidental - caused the player to go to the floor. He curses in my direction and I call a technical foul for the language.

Later in the game, the coach calls me over and says that his kid says that he didn't curse. I started laughing and walked away. I had no explanation. Laughing was all I could do. The kid cursed. I was standing right next to him. There are only so many words that sound like "duck." Is laughing at a comment from a coach ever ok?
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

I would personally never laugh at a coach. I don't see what positive can come out of it. At best, he doesn't take it personally and ignores/does nothing. At worst, you take this situation and make it potentially worse. Again this is for me. I suppose for other officials, that could work for them.
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed. I would have said something along the lines of "Coach, I'm 100% positive that your player cursed at me." Then I would have turned and walked away.
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 09:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

At an AAU game? I would have probably laughed too. Then I would have told him "Coach, I am not really concerned what he told you, I know what I heard him say to me." Then I would have walked away.

Peace
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 09:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I laughed at a coach once, and I'd do it again in that situation because I thought he was joking.

His player caught a ball, then proceeded to fall and land on his arse. After I called the travel, the coach tried telling me the cheek becomes the pivot on that play. I laughed out loud.

"I'm serious, the cheek is the pivot."

me: "White ball, let's go."

If he wasn't joking, I still feel good about it. I found out later this guy won state championships in both boys and girls ball here; but was then (and now) coaching JV boys on the other side of the state.
Old Thu May 06, 2010, 10:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornets222003 View Post
Later in the game, the coach calls me over and says that his kid says that he didn't curse.
Years ago in a young kids rec game (I think 7th grade), I called a T on a kid for using profanity. I went over to the table to report it and the scorekeeper said he wasn't going to record it. I just stared at him. He then said it was his son and his son "would never swear". I laughed and told him that was funny. He put down his pencil, crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back as if to say he wasn't going to do anything. You can probably guess what I said next. "Coach - you need to get a new scorekeeper over here".
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE= Is laughing at a comment from a coach ever ok?[/QUOTE]

YES!!! Yes it is ok. People are funny --even (or especially) coaches....so in my opinion yes..laugh at a funny comment. Now I am not proposing we eliminate the use of common sense but in the scenario you gave I would have said, "Ok coach", smiled, and moved on. What else is there to really say....ESPECIALLY at an AAU or rec game.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 09:12am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Is laughing at a comment from a coach ever ok?
The key word there is "ever," so of course, the answer is YES. The only alternative is that it's NEVER okay, and that doesn't fly.

On one play this year, Team A is moving the ball on transition, with me trailing. B-1 cleanly swats at the ball, and it could have been a steal, but the ball bounced off my leg while I was still moving, and landed at the Team B bench. Team A ball.

B Coach: "Hey, that's a kick violation!"
Me: "Yeah, on ME!"

We both smiled. That's called messing with the ref for the sake of humor, and I love it.

Even when a coach is mad, there are occasions for laughter. An example: After Team A drives for their second consecutive easy layup, Team B's coach hops up angrily.

Coach: "Time out! TIME OUT!!"
Me: (TWEET) "30 or 60, coach?"
Coach: "30! Just enough time for me to yell at these guys!"

I couldn't hold back laughing. Regardless of their mood at the time, no-one could say such a thing without appreciating the humor behind it.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 12:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

I hate it when you make a call against a player and the coach asks the player if he "did it".

Back in the day when I was less proficient in holding my tongue it would be cause for a comment from me.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

It was interesting. I'm new to officiating outside of college intramurals, so I don't have very much experience interacting with coaches. If in a similar situation again, I don't think I'll laugh. I think I'll just tell the coach I heard it and walk away.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 01:49pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
It was interesting. I'm new to officiating outside of college intramurals, so I don't have very much experience interacting with coaches. If in a similar situation again, I don't think I'll laugh. I think I'll just tell the coach I heard it and walk away.
Welcome to the forum, newbie. You do know the first rule of officiating, don't you?

Also remember this one: "Coach, I'd respond to your comment but I left my English-Jibberish dictionary at home."
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Welcome to the forum, newbie. You do know the first rule of officiating, don't you?

Also remember this one: "Coach, I'd respond to your comment but I left my English-Jibberish dictionary at home."
I would assume the first rule to officiating is that you're only as liked as your next call?
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 06:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pick A Prize From The Top Shelf

Quote:
I would assume the first rule to officiating is that you're only as liked as your next call?
Wrong. Remember, when you assume you make a domesticated donkey out of you and Mark Padgett.

Wait a minute. You may be correct. Delete my comment above. That is the first rule of officiating. So you don't have to ask Mark Padgett what the first rule is. You already know. No need for a followup question, or worse, a followup answer from Mark Padgett.

Congratulations. You have won a free one year subscription to the Official Forum. Please send your bank account number and PIN, in a private message, (private for security reasons) to Mark Padgett. He needs that information in case you want to sign up for a paid year at the end of your free year. If you don't want to continue to be a member of the Forum after your free year, Mark Padgett will erase your information from his hard drive. He promises. Cross his heart.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 07, 2010 at 06:02pm.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 06:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nope.
Old Fri May 07, 2010, 06:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Nope.
Yep!!!

Peace