Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 04, 2010, 09:50pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
What else do you say in your pregames?
The usual...properly and legally equipped...sportsmanship...noting anything funky about the gym. Why?
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 05:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Same Old, Same Old ...

Quote:
What else do you say in your pregames?
Herre in the Land of Steady Habits:

Players properly equipped,
Players wearing uniforms properly,
Practice good sportsmanship,
Adhere to the restrictions, as well as the privileges, of the coaching box.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 07:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
The usual...properly and legally equipped...sportsmanship...noting anything funky about the gym. Why?
I'm always curious about peoples' pregames. I assume by funky, you're talking about side baskets or overhanging balconies and such. I don't recall ever even mentioning those in pregames, as I've found (at least around here) the players aren't listening and the coaches want to get back to the bench.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm always curious about peoples' pregames. I assume by funky, you're talking about side baskets or overhanging balconies and such. I don't recall ever even mentioning those in pregames, as I've found (at least around here) the players aren't listening and the coaches want to get back to the bench.
Seems like this topic was discussed at length a month or two ago. Important topic, nonetheless.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 10:18am
Back from the DL

Quote:
I assume by funky, you're talking about side baskets or overhanging balconies and such.
Right. Those don't come up often, but if you're dealing with an older and smaller gym where overhangs are close, they need to be pointed out. Come to think of it, there's a brand new (built last year) gym where the side baskets don't retract! (A little oversight.) There's also a local middle school gym where one set of bleachers literally end flush with the sideline. You have to improvise throw-ins a little there.

Other than that, it's the usual: Is everyone properly and legally equipped? Can I expect good sporting behavior from everyone here? I don't do speaking captains, but I always end it with the aforementioned, "Head coaches, and players on the floor, question anything you like, as long as you're civil about it. Let's have fun!"
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 10:44am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I guess I don't bother with the gym stuff because, while it may be my first time in this gym, all the players have likely played in gyms with overhangs and side baskets that don't retract. They all know those things are out of bounds.

I don't do speaking captains either, although I found quite a few of the refs around here do. I don't even ask the captains to show me their numbers.

"Introduce yourselves. You know who your hotheads are, so take care of them for us. Have a good game."
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 11:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
"Introduce yourselves. Any questions? Have a good game."
Fixed it for you. Too loquacious.

As the R in a 3-man, just for hell of it I introduced us pre-game at the captains' meeting by saying "My name is Daryl..and this is my brother Daryl...and this is my other brother Daryl." Not one of the captains noticed or said anything. They just stood there like they normally do..vacant-eyed, not listening, watching the stands or the cheerleaders.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

As the R in a 3-man, just for hell of it I introduced us pre-game at the captains' meeting by saying "My name is Daryl..and this is my brother Daryl...and this is my other brother Daryl." Not one of the captains noticed or said anything. They just stood there like they normally do..vacant-eyed, not listening, watching the stands or the cheerleaders.
I sometimes add, "No fast breaks." For a girls game: "No hanging from the rim."

Gets a laugh about 75% of the time.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 01:08pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
They were being polite, since you obviously screwed it up. Everybody knows that your name should have been Larry.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 01:17pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
They were being polite, since you obviously screwed it up.
I think you confused the poor kids, Jurassic. That show went off the air in 1990!
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 01:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

They make us say something about sportsmanship, and my version beats reading the back of the card.
Old Wed May 05, 2010, 02:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I think you confused the poor kids, Jurassic. That show went off the air in 1990!
Iirc I said that while it was still a hit. The l'il sh!ts don't listen to us anyway. That hasn't changed.