Thread: Any tips?
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

There are a few things you can do to help pave the way. If you are in an association, get the board secretary to write a letter stating that you are a member in good standing, and for how many years. Devise a resume that relates to your basketball experience; number of years refereeing, levels you work, clinics or camps attended, board(s) you are a member of, and a few references (assignors/board officers) who can give you a good word if called (or you may get a few letters of recommendation to attach).

Contact the State HS Athletic Association where you are relocating to. You can get the names/numbers/addresses of the assignors in that area (or the boards who assign). Write a short letter stating your plans to relocate, and that you hope to referee games. Be sure to include your phone numbers and e-mail address. Attach your resume and letters and mail them off. Make follow up phone calls a week or so later. Depending on the response you get, and your experience level, you may suggest that you are willing to be observed reffing a rec game, or middle school/Fr game to show your abilities.

These are just a few ideas I think I would try if I were moving. Others may have more suggestions. Good Luck!