The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ball on floor K-State/Butler (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57712-ball-floor-k-state-butler.html)

tomegun Sat Mar 27, 2010 05:38pm

Ball on floor K-State/Butler

Burr just put the ball in the floor and hit his whistle on the inbound instead of handing the official the ball. This happened when the ball was staying in the front on the end line. I don't know, it didn't make much sense and it didn't look like the player was delaying.

tomegun Sat Mar 27, 2010 05:44pm

Dick Cartmell (sp?) called basket interference from the Lead. It was hard to tell if the C didn't make it down court, but the play was a break.

grunewar Sat Mar 27, 2010 05:49pm

Saw em too Tomegun

KSU simply got outplayed at the end......

I thought they would put time back on the clock at the 1:00 mark, but I guess Burr decided against it. I thought the ball went into the crowd under the basket preventing KSU from inbounding or there was a TO called. Shrug - made no never mind.

PS - I like that young Butler Coach.

Jurassic Referee Sat Mar 27, 2010 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 670994)
KSU simply got outplayed at the end......

I thought they would put time back on the clock at the 1:00 mark, but I guess Burr decided against it. I thought the ball went into the crowd under the basket preventing KSU from inbounding or there was a TO called. Shrug - made no never mind.

PS - I like that young Butler Coach.

They reviewed it. The ball went through at 1:01 so the clock is supposed to keep running. That's why time wasn't put back on the clock.

And I like the Butler coach too. Very calm and composed, and I think that his players feed off of that.

Well officiated game overall, I thought.

Mark Padgett Sat Mar 27, 2010 06:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 670992)
Burr just put the ball in the floor and hit his whistle on the inbound instead of handing the official the ball. This happened when the ball was staying in the front on the end line. I don't know, it didn't make much sense and it didn't look like the player was delaying.

I saw that too and I agree it didn't look like the player was delaying at all. However, the coach and players didn't say anything. The player picked the ball right up and inbounded, but almost threw the ball away on his inbound pass.

SAJ Sat Mar 27, 2010 07:19pm

Why does Burr's backcourt count consist of just a simple hand out...one finger...two finger...three finger...etc.? I thought the correct mechanic was the arm swing.

Jay R Sat Mar 27, 2010 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 671007)
Why does Burr's backcourt count consist of just a simple hand out...one finger...two finger...three finger...etc.? I thought the correct mechanic was the arm swing.

Because he is Jim Burr

JRutledge Sat Mar 27, 2010 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 671018)
Because he is Jim Burr

And because no one would care.

Jurassic Referee Sat Mar 27, 2010 08:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrutledge (Post 671020)
and because no one would care.

+1

Raymond Sat Mar 27, 2010 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 671007)

At one time I'm sure he did use the correct mechanic. ;)

fullor30 Sat Mar 27, 2010 09:51pm

I thought the KS player was delaying, so Burr put ball on floor. Terrific!

What about when a TO was called and a kentuck player slammed ball down around midcourt, bounced pretty darn high. I think it was right in front of Curtis Shaw who rightfully called a T on a whiny kentucky player earlier. Loved it.

Mark Padgett Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 671027)
What about when a TO was called and a kentuck player slammed ball down around midcourt, bounced pretty darn high.

It was obvious to me (and I'm thousands of miles away) that he was upset with his team's play, not anything regarding the officiating. At that level, it's virtually an automatic no call.

Texas Aggie Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:07pm

Quote:

The ball went through at 1:01 so the clock is supposed to keep running. That's why time wasn't put back on the clock.
You're wrong. The announcer clearly said it was to review when Martin called a TO. :rolleyes:

Sheesh. Whoever that guy was made a fool out of himself.

SethPDX Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 671040)
You're wrong. The announcer clearly said it was to review when Martin called a TO. :rolleyes:

Sheesh. Whoever that guy was made a fool out of himself.

I think it was Len Elmore, who was going on and on about how a foul should have been called at the end of regulation in the KSU/Xavier game Thursday. Not that great a weekend for him. :rolleyes:

grunewar Sun Mar 28, 2010 06:47am

Saw it too

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark padgett (Post 671035)
it was obvious to me (and i'm thousands of miles away) that he was upset with his team's play, not anything regarding the officiating. At that level, it's virtually an automatic no call.

+1