The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclause View Post
I don't think there are. It looks like the standard under 16-, 12-, 8-, 4- minute media timeouts. BTW - I personally have never seen the under 15-, 10-, 5- minute media timeouts. Anyone here ever see that format used before?

What CBS seems to be doing is using the called timeouts at the end of games to put in quick 15 and 30 second ads. Other broadcasters don't seem to do that.

And help me out here, since I can't seem to find an answer. What happens if an entire media timeout period goes without a suitable stoppage in play? That media timeout just goes away?
Pretty sure they still have to use it. Radio and TV stations sell the ad time...their buyers would be pretty ticked off if their commercials didn't get in
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Pretty sure they still have to use it. Radio and TV stations sell the ad time...their buyers would be pretty ticked off if their commercials didn't get in
Yes, it still gets taken. There will eventually be an opportunity. If the under-12 timeout hasn't been taken and there is a whistle/dead ball at 6:30, they'll take the under-12 timeout then. Then, the under-8 timeout will be pending and could occur almost right away if an opportunity presents itself.

I guess it is technically possible to play a half without a whistle....leaving no opportunity for a commercials until after the final buzzer...how many people do you thing will sit through those 4 sets of commercials (about 3.5 minutes each) for the post game chit-chat? I think I'd be long gone.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
They have a camera person flash a bright light in the eyes of someone about to receive a pass so the ball goes OOB.
Just like the Buffalo Wild Wings commercials where they get a photographer to blind the players with a flash or get a football ref to make a blatantly bad instant replay call to put a game into overtime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Here's the rule, where apparently the first timeout called in the 2nd half can be extended to a media-length timeout (I guess I hadn't been paying too much attention). I suppose if the first called timeout in the 2nd half is near the end of the half, it could turn into an extra length timeout.
Art. 10. When the electronic-media agreement calls for AT LEAST THREE
electronic-media timeouts in either half, the format shall be as follows
(PAID ADVERTISING as in Rule 4-69.2 AND TELEVISION, RADIO OR
INTERNET AUDIO OR VISUAL BROADCAST MUST BE PRESENT TO
USE THIS ELECTRONIC-MEDIA TIMEOUT FORMAT):

d. The first timeout requested by either team in the second half shall
become the length of a timeout called for by the electronic-media
agreement:
1. In any extra period the first timeout granted to either team may
become an electronic-media timeout.

Note: For NCAA Division I tournament games, the men’s or women’s
Division I basketball committee may make the first team-called timeout in
both halves an electronic-media timeout.
Note: For all NCAA tournament games, the electronic-media timeout format
may be used without the presence of paid advertising.
So they do actually have a few rules in place that allow the extension of called timeouts into a media timeout for NCAA D-I Tournament games.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Wasn't aware there were more media times-out. Maybe they were longer, but I don't think there were any additional media T-O's. Also, coaches tend to use more T-O's in the tourney.

I don't watch commercials, I'm a channel flipper. Last night it was Sober House w/Dr. Drew.
I paid more attention to the one game I was most interested in today. I noticed that the under 16-minute media timeout was taken in the first half. Then around 13:37, Louisville is absolutely hemorrhaging (down 22-4), Pitino calls timeout, and CBS cuts to a 3-minute commercial. Apparently for NCAA Tournament games, the first called timeout in each half becomes a full-fledged media timeout, although that's also supposed to be the case for regular season games for the first called timeout in the second half.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 01:30am
In Time Out

yeah there was a TO called by a team and the announcer even said something about it being under 4 minutes media timeout in the first half but it was a Team timeout. Goes to ads. Play resumes and seconds later an out of bounds call. TV timeout. In those cases they should just make the team TO's the tv ones.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 08:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclause View Post
I don't think there are. It looks like the standard under 16-, 12-, 8-, 4- minute media timeouts. BTW - I personally have never seen the under 15-, 10-, 5- minute media timeouts. Anyone here ever see that format used before?

What CBS seems to be doing is using the called timeouts at the end of games to put in quick 15 and 30 second ads. Other broadcasters don't seem to do that.

And help me out here, since I can't seem to find an answer. What happens if an entire media timeout period goes without a suitable stoppage in play? That media timeout just goes away?
The officials call a nickel-dimer at the first opportunity once it gets under the media timeout threshold.

I go to a *lot* of D-I games and I'm amazed at the cheapies that are called within 10-15 seconds of that threshold.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 08:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
yeah there was a TO called by a team and the announcer even said something about it being under 4 minutes media timeout in the first half but it was a Team timeout. Goes to ads. Play resumes and seconds later an out of bounds call. TV timeout. In those cases they should just make the team TO's the tv ones.
What aggravates me (or would if I didn't have the DirecTV package) is how CBS goes to another game, but just *gotta* get in a series of commercials first. Then they go to the other game and it's time for a media timeout. MORE commercials.

At least with the DirecTV package, I can watch the other game instead of watching the commercials once a game ends. Of course, there are other annoyances -- I have to watch one of the games on my local CBS station, which does "live look-ins" and will break away from the game I'm watching. Happened during the Wisconsin game yesterday. I'm in Wisconsin and was forced to watch the end of ANOTHER game I could simply tune to (the games are on 702-705) if I wanted to. In order to watch Wisconsin during these live lookins, I have to tune to the mix channel, which shows 4 screens in one. Those here without the package have to listen on the radio or wait till they come back.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
The officials call a nickel-dimer at the first opportunity once it gets under the media timeout threshold.

I go to a *lot* of D-I games and I'm amazed at the cheapies that are called within 10-15 seconds of that threshold.
I wonder if they file that under "Game Management"!
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 11:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
The problem with this is the ad packages are sold with all the timeouts in mind; media and team timeouts. It's not like they only sell ads for the TV timeouts.