The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Technical before OT

Interesting situation last night. Black team is 2 points ahead. Called a foul with probably 1 second on clock against Black as White player was shooting. Wild shot goes in. Tie score and White shoots free throw to win game. White, during FT, while ball is in the air, steps on line. FT attempt goes in, I'm blowing whistle and waving off the score while the place goes wild as White thinks they have won the game. This, by the way, was a 7-8 grade tournament championship. While my partner and I are trying to get order restored the White coach is going balistic. Close to technical but didn't cross the line, IMO. If he had dropped the F bomb and a technical was called, would the resulting FT for black, if made, end the game in Black's favor or would the OT start with Black 1 point ahead?
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 10:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh898 View Post
Interesting situation last night. Black team is 2 points ahead. Called a foul with probably 1 second on clock against Black as White player was shooting. Wild shot goes in. Tie score and White shoots free throw to win game. White, during FT, while ball is in the air, steps on line. FT attempt goes in, I'm blowing whistle and waving off the score while the place goes wild as White thinks they have won the game. This, by the way, was a 7-8 grade tournament championship. While my partner and I are trying to get order restored the White coach is going balistic. Close to technical but didn't cross the line, IMO. If he had dropped the F bomb and a technical was called, would the resulting FT for black, if made, end the game in Black's favor or would the OT start with Black 1 point ahead?
You didn't say so, but I'm assuming time had expired, so you were shooting with the lane cleared. In that case, the 4th period is over as soon as A1's FT is not successful; so a T called at that point would start the OT.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 10:57am
Ch1town

I think he still has 1 second on the clock.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 11:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
I think he still has 1 second on the clock.
With the fans thinking he'd won the game, it's hard to say, but you might be right. I wouldn't think there'd be any confusion, though, on how to administer the T if there was still a second on the clock.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

With 1 second on the clock the Technical would be during regulation play. After the free throws black ball at mid court with 1 second on clock?
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 11:36am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
With 1 second on the clock the Technical would be during regulation play. After the free throws black ball at mid court with 1 second on clock?
Yes, just like any other technical that occurs with time on the clock.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You didn't say so, but I'm assuming time had expired, so you were shooting with the lane cleared. In that case, the 4th period is over as soon as A1's FT is not successful; so a T called at that point would start the OT.
If time had in fact expired, isn't this 5.6.2D(b)? You don't know if there is to be an overtime until the T shots have been administered.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 02:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp View Post
If time had in fact expired, isn't this 5.6.2D(b)? You don't know if there is to be an overtime until the T shots have been administered.
Hint: What's the score when time expires in 5.6.2D(b)?
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

The situation indicates it could be anything from team A down 60-59, to up 61-60 after they shoot their FT's. Same thing here, score is either tied or white is ahead by 1 when white coach gets the T. The only time the free throws for the T were not shot was when the results of the personal foul free throws made the score a 3 point game. That would make shooting T free throws meaningless.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 02:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The situation indicates it could be anything from team A down 60-59, to up 61-60 after they shoot their FT's. Same thing here, score is either tied or white is ahead by 1 when white coach gets the T. The only time the free throws for the T were not shot was when the results of the personal foul free throws made the score a 3 point game. That would make shooting T free throws meaningless.
Overtime begins as soon as the 4th quarter ends with the score tied. If the score is not tied, all FTs will be shot to determine whether it should be played or not.

5.6COMMENT B
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 03:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
hope drh shows up to clarify.....
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Still struggling with this. 5.6.2Db indicates a tying free throw is made after the 4th period has ended (A1 was fouled in act of shooting as time expires). It also indicates in that situation, if either free throw for the technical foul is successful, no extra period is required.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 03:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Still struggling with this. 5.6.2Db indicates a tying free throw is made after the 4th period has ended (A1 was fouled in act of shooting as time expires). It also indicates in that situation, if either free throw for the technical foul is successful, no extra period is required.
In this case, the 4th period is not over until the free throws are completed for the shooting foul. Therefore, any fouls committed prior to the last free throw would be part of the 4th period, not the over time. That's the key difference from the OP.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In this case, the 4th period is not over until the free throws are completed for the shooting foul. Therefore, any fouls committed prior to the last free throw would be part of the 4th period, not the over time. That's the key difference from the OP.
There we go. That's the distinquishment I was looking for.
Old Thu Mar 18, 2010, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
distinquishment
Amesman likes this

(seriously)