The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

UK/MissST Last FT: What do You Have?

YouTube - DeMarcus Cousins sends the SEC Championship into OT - BEST QUALITY!

In NCAA are the players behind the FT line and circle restricted until the ball makes contact with the rim/board?
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

The Kentucky player who obtained the rebound (#11) and missed the try from the corner clearly violated. Although he was in first and even below the FT line when the ball struck the ring, the Miss St. player (#3) also entered early.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 05:20am
Official Forum Member

As soon as Kentucky #11 violated the play is dead...doesn't matter if a MSU player violated after him. This needs to be seen and called.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

By my log in name, you can see I am a BIG KY Fan, but I am also an official. I did not see the game (reffing a volleyball tournament all day Sunday) but heard they won. As a KY fan, I was happy with the outcome, but now seeing the foul shot violations, as an official, I am appauled that this was not called. Miss St got the short end of the stick by the officials in this game and by the NCAA tournament Committee on Sunday.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

So NCAAM rules say players on the lane and the shooter can enter on the release but all others must wait until it hits the rim? I did not know that.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcof83 View Post
So NCAAM rules say players on the lane and the shooter can enter on the release but all others must wait until it hits the rim?
No, the rules do not say that.

1) The shooter must also wait until the ball hits.

2) The ball needn't hit the rim.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
As soon as Kentucky #11 violated the play is dead...doesn't matter if a MSU player violated after him. This needs to be seen and called.
That is true. I was merely describing the action which took place on the play. I did not state what the call should have been.

I will note that had the two players entered from beyond the 3pt line in the reverse order from what actually occurred, then the correct decision would have been a double-violation.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Mar 16, 2010 at 01:36pm.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That is true. I was merely describing the action which took place on the play. I did not state what the call should have been.

I will note that had the two players entered from beyond the 3pt line in the reverse order from what actually occurred, then the correct decision would have been a double-violation.
That said, and all correct at that, how often do FT violations get called....at any level. From my observation, they have to be a long way "over" to get the whistle....and I really don't see them getting called in the last minutes of the game even when they're 'obvious' unless they're blatant.

Is that right? Perhaps not. But that is the standard.

And, it is not like his being in there early did any good, he didn't get the ball or even tip the ball away from someone.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That said, and all correct at that, how often do FT violations get called....at any level. From my observation, they have to be a long way "over" to get the whistle....and I really don't see them getting called in the last minutes of the game even when they're 'obvious' unless they're blatant.

Is that right? Perhaps not. But that is the standard.

And, it is not like his being in there early did any good, he didn't get the ball or even tip the ball away from someone.
1. True that FT violations are not called frequently.
2. I believe that #11 of Kentucky was about 12 feet below where he should have been when the ball struck the ring, so in my opinion that is an obvious violation.
3. Did it do any good? Well, he was the first player to gain control of the ball after it was tipped by another player. Would he have gotten to that location as quickly had he not violated?
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 02:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
2. I believe that #11 of Kentucky was about 12 feet below where he should have been when the ball struck the ring, so in my opinion that is an obvious violation.
3. Did it do any good? Well, he was the first player to gain control of the ball after it was tipped by another player. Would he have gotten to that location as quickly had he not violated?
2. Agreed.
3. Interesting thought, but had he waited until the ball hit the rim and reacted to it, I think he still gets it. But it shouldn't have mattered, IMO. He's in the paint with everyone else when the ball hits the rim.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1. Particularly not with 5 seconds to go.

2. Sounds about right....my guess is all the attention was on the 6 bodies legally in the lane fighting for position. It appears he crossed the line about when the ball was at its peak and just starting to come down....maybe 1/4 or 1/2 second before he should have.

3. Given that he controlled it OUTSIDE the 3-point line, after first detouring through the lane, I'd say that his path was far from optimal and could have easily reached that location directly without violating.