The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 12:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
For those who are calling baseball "easy" I challenge you to actually officiate a game.

Granted, there aren't as many calls to make during a game if you're on the bases. But there is a much greater area to cover.
I was the one that called baseball relatively easy. Meaning compared to other sports, it was easier to master. Now I do work baseball and have for almost 15 years. I am not speaking from a place of ignorance; I am speaking from a place of being around the game as a player and then umpires.

Quote:
Some of the mechanics for positioning and rotations are fairly complex.
That is true, but the mechanics and rotations are not as difficult to master as they are in football or basketball. Baseball has some set starting positions and movements are pretty easy to figure out as it is based on where the ball goes. Not to say that everything is that simple, but I do not have as hard of a time getting angles.

Quote:
Also, the rules of baseball aren't an easy read ever.

Anyone who says baseball is an "easy" sport to officiate has clearly never tried to read the balk rule. There isn't a section in the 2 basketball books I'm conversant in ( Fed and FIBA) which is screwed up as that.
Actually I think the balk rule is one of the easiest rules to officiate in baseball. It is not like you are moving while trying see the play. You can focus on the pitcher and nothing else. And you have two people at least in most cases that can make a call based on what they see. That rule is not harder than some football rules and you have to do that with bodies all over the place and try to get angles.

Quote:
Baseball requires a great deal of mental concentration. You might go 2 innings without a "banger" and then you might have to make 2 calls on the same play. That doesn't really happen in basketball. Also, weather doesn't make nearly as much of an impact in basketball- at least once you get to the gym it doesn't.
You have to have a lot of mental concentration in other sports as well. And since this is on the basketball board, you have to constantly be on your toes because the minute you think nothing is going to happen, you have to call something or not call something. But someone feels you should have called something or not called something. In baseball you have to call something and it is a one way or another call. I would not put weather as a factor to make a call. The only thing about the weather is you likely do not want to be there. But I have never seen the weather as a deterrent to make a call.

Quote:
Easier than basketball- perhaps from time to time but they are apples and oranges and should not be compared.
Easier than football too. For many of the same reasons I said basketball is harder than baseball. A lot of movement to get in place and much more dead ball officiating in football is required and movement. Many of the baseball calls can be made completely still. You cannot do that in football. And you have to do this consistently.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Which sport do you think is the easiest to add to the hoops officiating repertoire?
Football. From my experience and observation, it appears that basketball officials who become football officials do well, but the opposite transition doesn't work well at all.

Most of that observation about football officials going basketball came from back in the days of almost pure running game football with few pass-interference type (i.e. basketball-esque) calls. Now that may be different with the game going pass oriented at the high school and even jr. high levels.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 11:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Football. From my experience and observation, it appears that basketball officials who become football officials do well, but the opposite transition doesn't work well at all.

Most of that observation about football officials going basketball came from back in the days of almost pure running game football with few pass-interference type (i.e. basketball-esque) calls. Now that may be different with the game going pass oriented at the high school and even jr. high levels.
Football will make you a better rules official in basketball. Basketball will help you become a better judgment official in football. That is what someone told me a long time ago. I tend to agree.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
As someone who does both, I would say the biggest problem many football officials would have transitioning to basketball would be physical fitness.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I currently oficiate volleyball and softball. Had to give up basketball due to leg injuries that no longer respond well to the pounding on the hard court.

From my experience, basketball is the most difficult sport to officiate. It is a series of snap judgements while having to constantly re-position yourself to follow the action. With two officials, it is difficult, but doable to watch ten players, with three officials, that job becomes easier.

It took me about three - four years of doing volleyball for the light to come on. The rules are not quite as complex as basketball or softball, but there are several things that an official needs to know and be aware of. There is almost no physical component to officiating VB, but it is very mentally taxing if you want to do it right.

I've been thinking about becoming a track starter...where else does your job consist of pointing a gun in the air and firing blanks??
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 02:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I've been thinking about becoming a track starter...where else does your job consist of pointing a gun in the air and firing blanks??
Wow, there are a dozen punch lines for this one just ready to fly.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
...where else does your job consist of pointing a gun in the air and firing blanks??
uuuuuuuh....what exactly do you use to point that gun with.
Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 02:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

There's a new sport I'm thinking of officiating. Since it's new, I can probably get in on the ground floor and work my way up to the pros pretty quick. Of course I'm talking about javelin catching.

Old Wed Mar 17, 2010, 02:32pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
There's a new sport I'm thinking of officiating. Since it's new, I can probably get in on the ground floor and work my way up to the pros pretty quick. Of course I'm talking about javelin catching.

Well, usually, only the freshmen compete because they are guaranteed a starting position. If they survive to become sophomores, they move on to other events.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Junior High Volleyball.
Old Mon Mar 22, 2010, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
As the joke in my association goes,

If you want to steal money from a school, become a volleyball official
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Junior High Volleyball.
Every year at basketball camps, we chat about other sports. I've found a BUNCH of guys who've started doing volleyball and talk about it like they are stealing money. When I tell them I do football, they sneer at me -- hate the weather (rarely a problem, except last year), the rules, the uniform (got a point there), etc. But I did volleyball for 2 years and while I love the sport, I had to take uppers to stay awake during my games and couldn't wait for them to end. I had, I think, ONE match -- a playoff game that matched 2 good teams -- where I wanted it to go 3 games. Everything else I wanted it over with, so I decided it wasn't worth it.

The volleyball uniform rocks! I'll give them that.