View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 16, 2010, 12:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
For those who are calling baseball "easy" I challenge you to actually officiate a game.

Granted, there aren't as many calls to make during a game if you're on the bases. But there is a much greater area to cover.
I was the one that called baseball relatively easy. Meaning compared to other sports, it was easier to master. Now I do work baseball and have for almost 15 years. I am not speaking from a place of ignorance; I am speaking from a place of being around the game as a player and then umpires.

Quote:
Some of the mechanics for positioning and rotations are fairly complex.
That is true, but the mechanics and rotations are not as difficult to master as they are in football or basketball. Baseball has some set starting positions and movements are pretty easy to figure out as it is based on where the ball goes. Not to say that everything is that simple, but I do not have as hard of a time getting angles.

Quote:
Also, the rules of baseball aren't an easy read ever.

Anyone who says baseball is an "easy" sport to officiate has clearly never tried to read the balk rule. There isn't a section in the 2 basketball books I'm conversant in ( Fed and FIBA) which is screwed up as that.
Actually I think the balk rule is one of the easiest rules to officiate in baseball. It is not like you are moving while trying see the play. You can focus on the pitcher and nothing else. And you have two people at least in most cases that can make a call based on what they see. That rule is not harder than some football rules and you have to do that with bodies all over the place and try to get angles.

Quote:
Baseball requires a great deal of mental concentration. You might go 2 innings without a "banger" and then you might have to make 2 calls on the same play. That doesn't really happen in basketball. Also, weather doesn't make nearly as much of an impact in basketball- at least once you get to the gym it doesn't.
You have to have a lot of mental concentration in other sports as well. And since this is on the basketball board, you have to constantly be on your toes because the minute you think nothing is going to happen, you have to call something or not call something. But someone feels you should have called something or not called something. In baseball you have to call something and it is a one way or another call. I would not put weather as a factor to make a call. The only thing about the weather is you likely do not want to be there. But I have never seen the weather as a deterrent to make a call.

Quote:
Easier than basketball- perhaps from time to time but they are apples and oranges and should not be compared.
Easier than football too. For many of the same reasons I said basketball is harder than baseball. A lot of movement to get in place and much more dead ball officiating in football is required and movement. Many of the baseball calls can be made completely still. You cannot do that in football. And you have to do this consistently.

Peace