The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
Football ... the rules are a hell of a lot more complicated. .
Did not realize this (not disputing it, just didn't realize).

I always figured that, sure, while you have to be on your feet and move, it's probably not as much wear and tear as basketball officiating but wasn't sure on the decision-making.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 02:10pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This will offend some people. But I feel baseball is the easiest by far for me. You do not make a lot of tough calls and if you are not behind the plate, you almost have a day off. That being said, it still is difficult, but not as hard and physically demanding as football and basketball. Working the plate is a little difficult at first, but once you get the hang of it is really not that hard. But that does not mean anyone can do it. You have to understand the sport. But I played baseball for years and it came very easy for me.

Peace
I completely agree. Baseball is the easiest of the three by far. I find basketball to be the most challenging but it is also my newest sport and I did not play it much in school.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post

I always figured that, sure, while you have to be on your feet and move, it's probably not as much wear and tear as basketball officiating but wasn't sure on the decision-making.
Oh, no question that basketball takes a lot more energy and fitness.

Basketball also has many, many, MANY more "tough" calls game in and game out. Football has relatively few.

But the rules can be a bit of a bear, especially if you are the R and hence expected to know them and know all the penalties and enforcements. Heck, just getting the scrimmage kick rules down solid is a challenge that most high school officials never achieve, IMO.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 04:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

I think officiating rugby would be cool.

Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 05:40pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
We could say that really about any sport. I see a lot of bad basketball officials too and bad football officials. My point is they are all hard if you consider what you have to do mentally to stay sharp and to physically stay on top of things. Just if I had to choose which one is the easiest my vote is baseball. And the reason I also say that, is I see many good basketball and football officials really step into baseball and do very well. I have seen some baseball umpires try to do basketball and not have a clue how to handle themselves. Also part of this is the way the games are fast paced and how much responsibility you have to take on. In baseball unfortunately if you are on the bases you might not have a close play the entire game. I cannot think of too many basketball games where I had a day off on the court. Even when you do not call something, there is a person in your ear telling you how you missed something or how you the game should be called. And participants are constantly reminding you of that. Baseball, unless you have a close call or a close pitch, not much they are going to say. Not to say they just give you a pass (Not what I am saying at all), but there are so many times behind the plate I am a non-factor. They swing the bat and I have no role in the game (or very little role). Also in baseball you can get away with not being in the best shape. You cannot do that as a basketball official very well and you cannot do it very well as a football official and you will soon be exposed if you are not.

Peace
+1

I'm new to the area that I started officiating both basketball and baseball starting at the beginning of last year. I had my first chance to work with some baseball umpires in the area last spring who I thought did a great job on the diamond. Then, this last fall, I got to work with a couple of those same guys on the basketball court, and I had a totally different opinion of them after working with them in basketball. I then noticed that it is much easier for mediocre basketball officials to be great baseball officials. Therefore, baseball is easier to officiate, IMO.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 06:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
+1

I'm new to the area that I started officiating both basketball and baseball starting at the beginning of last year. I had my first chance to work with some baseball umpires in the area last spring who I thought did a great job on the diamond. Then, this last fall, I got to work with a couple of those same guys on the basketball court, and I had a totally different opinion of them after working with them in basketball. I then noticed that it is much easier for mediocre basketball officials to be great baseball officials. Therefore, baseball is easier to officiate, IMO.
Let me find you an online logic course - sounds like it would help.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2010, 02:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post

Football rules are the hardest because every rule and application has a specific course of action based on many factors. People think officials in football get together to pick up flags, when actually we are trying to make sure we share all the facts to get a play right. For example if we have a penalty, thinks like did the ball go out of bounds, incomplete pass, first down, live ball, dead ball, score made can all change the enforcement. If you do not recognize the right situation, you will screw up the rule completely. And even though those rules are hard, you can lean on each other to get things right and you have to lean on each other as your penalty might not have anything to do with other actions on the field. A lot of football officials also try to lean on the Referee to make most of these decisions as well. Which is a recipe for trouble, but you can get away with this a lot of the time. The problem is everyone on a football crew needs to know the rules because they might be the one that saves the crew from disaster. This is partially why I feel basketball is harder, because I cannot lean on other officials to get plays right that I call.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2010, 02:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
A lot of football officials also try to lean on the Referee to make most of these decisions as well.
This I'll never understand. Of course, as the referee on my crew, I don't have the luxury of letting someone else know the rules and enforcement.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2010, 02:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
This I'll never understand. Of course, as the referee on my crew, I don't have the luxury of letting someone else know the rules and enforcement.
I do not understand it either. But many do it and expect the Referee to know everything. And having been a Referee, I realized more how much I need others to know things I cannot answer. A lot of times I was the guy that found out the information last, as I was not looking in certain places. I am sure you know this yourself as a Referee. But often crews get away with it because coaches are clueless to rules and most situations are not realized until much later.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 14, 2010, 11:37am
TODO: creative title here

From the perspective of a thee-year football official, first year basketball official:

I wouldn't say one is necessarily harder then the other, but they are very different experiences.

Football has more complex rules, and a lot more players to watch on a given play (especially in undervarsity play when you only have a 2 person or 3 person crew). On the other hand, you usually get around 15 seconds or so of 'down time' between plays, which can help you mentally reset yourself. And in a regular 4- or 5-person crew, you generally know what you're going to be looking for before a play starts.

Basketball has relatively simple rules, but requires more snap judgements. your keys change much more rapidly then they do in football, and there's very little downtime. Also, the fans are generally much closer to the action, so they can be more of a distraction if you let them... on the other hand, basketball seems to have more of a 'Hot mom' component then football.

I haven't done baseball yet (although I'm starting this spring), so I can't make any comparisons there.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2010, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Lacrosse

I have found lacrosse to be very similar to basketball. Much of the refs role is positioning, body contact, etc. The sticks, helmets and shoulder pads add a ton of fun. Also, parents dont know the rules (at least in my area). Very little banter from the sidelines. I love doing lacrosse and the rules are not complicated, very logical.

The issue with baseball is not calling outs, or even balls and strikes - its the complicated rules on those odd-ball plays like balls thrown into dug outs, interference with the baserunner, etc. To me, many things seemed illogical. Also, you ref a LONG TIME for $60. Softball's game time commitment is less.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2010, 01:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeadski View Post
I have found lacrosse to be very similar to basketball.
Right - in both games, players get to hit the other guy with a stick!

Hey - I allow that in my games.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2010, 01:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When Whack Really Means Whack ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Players get to hit the other guy with a stick!
Hey? Do officials carry sticks? If the officials get to hit obnoxious coaches and fans over the heads with sticks, then count me in.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

For those who are calling baseball "easy" I challenge you to actually officiate a game.

Granted, there aren't as many calls to make during a game if you're on the bases. But there is a much greater area to cover.

Some of the mechanics for positioning and rotations are fairly complex.

Also, the rules of baseball aren't an easy read ever.

Anyone who says baseball is an "easy" sport to officiate has clearly never tried to read the balk rule. There isn't a section in the 2 basketball books I'm conversant in ( Fed and FIBA) which is screwed up as that.

Baseball requires a great deal of mental concentration. You might go 2 innings without a "banger" and then you might have to make 2 calls on the same play. That doesn't really happen in basketball. Also, weather doesn't make nearly as much of an impact in basketball- at least once you get to the gym it doesn't.

Easier than basketball- perhaps from time to time but they are apples and oranges and should not be compared.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2010, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

For those who are calling baseball "easy" I challenge you to actually officiate a game.

Granted, there aren't as many calls to make during a game if you're on the bases. But there is a much greater area to cover.

Some of the mechanics for positioning and rotations are fairly complex.

Also, the rules of baseball aren't an easy read ever.

Anyone who says baseball is an "easy" sport to officiate has clearly never tried to read the balk rule. There isn't a section in the 2 basketball books I'm conversant in ( Fed and FIBA) which is screwed up as that.

Baseball requires a great deal of mental concentration. You might go 2 innings without a "banger" and then you might have to make 2 calls on the same play. That doesn't really happen in basketball. Also, weather doesn't make nearly as much of an impact in basketball- at least once you get to the gym it doesn't.

Easier than basketball- perhaps from time to time but they are apples and oranges and should not be compared.