The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

"Believe It Or Not" in Georgia Playoffs

Nice article with video. The fanboy comments are fun as always!

The Georgia High School Association takes questions about the controversial ending to basketball playoff game (UPDATED) | Prep Zone: AJC High School Sports
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like the foul occurred with .3 secs left on the clock. Gutsy call. Especially since only one third of the gym was able to see what the official saw.

I would think the only way an official calls a foul in that situation is if it is an obvious foul that everyone in the gymnasium can see.

Gutsy gutsy call.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLH17 View Post
I would think the only way an official calls a foul in that situation is if it is an obvious foul that everyone in the gymnasium can see.
We now can only make calls that everyone can see?
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 02:43pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
According to one HC I had this year.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Yea, that's what I said. Only make calls when a foul is obvious to everyone in attendance.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
Yea, that's what I said. Only make calls when a foul is obvious to everyone in attendance.
Oh boy......
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons View Post
Oh boy......
It's only right. We officials have no business making a call that we don't know the entire audience, coaches and players will agree with. I can't believe I'm the only one that calls a game using that mantra.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I watched the video before I read anything about the incident. I was actually wondering what the "controversy" was all about. Sure it was a gutsy call, but that is why you work in the state tournament game!!
Had the other team done a better job boxing out and securing the rebound (not to mention more then one missed free throw or turn over) this wouldn't have been an issue.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Looks like the foul occurred with .3 secs left on the clock. Gutsy call. Especially since only one third of the gym was able to see what the official saw.

Fwiw I disagree completely with that philosophy. I could care less what the fans see or think. They're fans! They can see an obvious foul and still disagree with it if that foul went against their team. And I really don't care what the coachs or their bench thinks either. They don't have the same view that the official has, not to mention their inherent bias also. Any foul call should be made based SOLELY as to whether a player is gaining an illegal advantage not meant by rule. If you've made that call consistently the whole game, there's absolutely NO reason in the world NOT to make it at the end of a game.

And it's not really that gutsy imo either. I would expect a good official to make that call if it's truly there every time.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
It's only right. We officials have no business making a call that we don't know the entire audience, coaches and players will agree with. I can't believe I'm the only one that calls a game using that mantra.
I can only hope that you're the only one that calls a game using that mantra.

In my experience, you're in a very miniscule minority with that particular philosophy.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
Quote:
I've heard of calling the obvious, but never calling only the obvious.....
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

I thought that in internet Boards/Posts blue font signified sarcasm. I could be wrong, it has been known to happen!!
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
I disagree completely with that philosophy. I could care less what the fans see or think. They're fans! They can see an obvious foul and still disagree with it if that foul went against their team. And I really don't care what the coachs or their bench thinks either. They don't have the same view that the official has, not to mention their inherent bias also. Any foul call should be made based SOLELY as to whether a player is gaining an illegal advantage not meant by rule. If you've made that call consistently the whole game, there's absolutely NO reason in the world NOT to make it at the end of a game.

And it's not really that gutsy imo either. I would expect a good official to make that call if it's truly there.
Couldn't agree more with most of your first paragraph.

About the second...I'm not being sarcastic (no blue font) with this question - and that's all it is - a question: consistency being key is a given, however, in that game and in that situation does that particular play warrant a potentially game ending call? Consider the situation - Team A got not one, made two athletic plays that led to 2 shots in the remaining seconds and a third play to secure a second rebound. Team B alertly ties up the ball - no obvious foul committed. Hats off to the official that made, what I assume to be a holding call since the video isn't clear, to put the other team on the line with a chance to win with no time left. I call that gutsy in a h.s. sub state game.

Pile on.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
I thought that in internet Boards/Posts blue font signified sarcasm. I could be wrong, it has been known to happen!!
I was beginning to worry that the only color folks in here see are black and white.
Old Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
please tell me you're joking