The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck

I was a volunteer for the World Police and Fire Olympics in Indy last year (responded to a commercial on TV), so I was on a mailing list for the World Basketball event, too. I hope to do some NCAA basketball events in Indy in the near future (I think some Big Ten stuff and Final Four will be held here). As far as being "Bounce" went, I just had to walk around and "high-five" kids, get my picture taken, and be goofy in general. I signed up to be Bounce's helper, and the lady who was Bounce was getting frustrated with the head-gear. Since she had been Bounce many times already, she let me be Bounce for around 30-45 minutes. The costume was really hot, but it was fun. I'd do it again in a heart-beat.

Yes, I did mean figuratively (re: US junior varstiy team)....The US team and fans did not impress me in any way at all. I agree that it was poorly marketed. I heard there were complaints about high ticket prices as well.

I attended some non-US games as a volunteer. If I recall, it was Argentina/Brazil and Puerto Rico/New Zealand. Both games had very few fans/people in the stands--but they were all very spirited fans. New Zealand players and fans did a warrior dance before the game--way cool. Puerto Rico had a large rhythym section--one woman had a frying pan and a big spoon! All of the countries--except the US--had fans wearing their country flags as capes and waved them wildly during the games. I think the volunteers out-numbered the fans at many games. I heard from other volunteers that the US games had poor attendance as well.

I also volunteered at a "kid's day" free basketball camp and fun zone. The camp was full of kids, and they all learned simple drills. There were college coaches and high school coaches helping with the drills. The 'free throw guy' was there (can't think of his name)--he made 194 out of 200 free throws while talking the entire time. The "fun zone" was nicely set up with different stations--around the world shooting, free throw challenge, lowered baskets for kids to "dunk", a mini ball pit, a dribble race around cones--free to the public, very family friendly. I was there for 4 hours and saw less than 20 kids. Again, poor marketing? Really hard to say. It was just too bad that more people didn't take advantage of these events.

I agree--two officials was definately not enough--especially for the medal games. I don't have too much experience as a basketball official, but I if it were me out there I'd want three officials on the floor.

By the way, after watching the YU game, I now have a better understanding of how soccer riots happen. If YU would have lost the gold medal, I was totally expecting a riot in Indy. Instead, after YU won, they took over down-town (peacefully, of course) and marched with pride through our streets. My hubby made the comment "If the US would have won, do you think the fans would have marched in the streets?". I didn't think that they would have.

Diana