LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 07, 2002, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Please, your comments about the match Yugoslavia - New Zealand
Old Sat Sep 07, 2002, 09:12pm
In Memoriam

You want comments?OK-you'll get them.

Most of the people who post on this site are officials.Quite a few of us don't watch the NBA much anymore because of the show-boating,hot-dogging,trash-talking,taunting,crying to officials and general crap that is a main portion of the pro game now.Maybe it's because Yugoslavia has so many pro players on it's team,but you are really starting to resemble the NBA teams in that regard.I've watched a few of your games in the tournament,and it has been embarrassing to watch your players moan,cry,and b*tch so much to the officials.You have been the worst team in the tournament,in that regard.I respect much more a team that can lose with dignity,than one who wins while acting in an unsportsmanlike manner.

It's awful tough to respect the Vlade Divac's of the world.

That's my opinion,whether you like it or not.
Old Sun Sep 08, 2002, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

No angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

Maybe it's because Yugoslavia has so many pro players on it's team,but you are really starting to resemble the NBA teams in that regard.I've watched a few of your games in the tournament,and it has been embarrassing to watch your players moan,cry,and b*tch so much to the officials.You have been the worst team in the tournament,in that regard.I respect much more a team that can lose with dignity,than one who wins while acting in an unsportsmanlike manner.
Thank you for your opinion. I really respect it.
Well, you are right. It is some kind of manner that our players always have something to tell to the officials. That's our problem, and we have to stop with that. But I would'n describe it as "moaning, crying ...". What, you want to say that there is no foul when one of USA players blasted off our Vlade Divac out of playground in the end of match? But as officials said, there is no foul. That makes Divac angry, but we never cried to officials. Just to be sure, try to find some of Yugosav sites where somebody wrote one bad word for the officials.
When we talk about loser's dignity, I have to write something: What USA player does when they lost from Yugoslavia? They run to the shower, everybody but Reggie Miller. There was no compliments ... They just run away. When Divac asked American players for towel, they didn't gave it. Well, they were team friends until "yesterday".
That situation don't makes me angry, because I know how they feel. This message is not for bulling. I know there are much difference in playing rules between USA and Europe. I hope they can find the compromise, and we will play under same rules in next matches.
Thank you again for your comment. As I said, I really appreciate it.
Old Sun Sep 08, 2002, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

And now ladies and gentleman ...

YUGOSLAVIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for congratulations! See u in Athens!
It was very nice talking to you.
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I have reffed a lot of BB , both FIBA and NCAA over the years and I don't believe the Yugoslavia NBA players learned to whine and moan in Europe , rather they likely picked up that tactic in the NBA.
The final was excellent but it is too bad the lead official swallowed his whistle on the final play in regulation time. Argentina should have won in regulation but they also should have protected their lead better and not allowed Yugoslavia back in.
The next Olympics should be very interesting!!!
Pistol
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 04:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
The final was excellent but it is too bad the lead official swallowed his whistle on the final play in regulation time.
Peter,it was definitely an uncalled foul.However,to give the guy the benefit of the doubt,I think he got straight-lined on the play and didn't have a real good look at it.Trying to see that cross-court contact at the end of a break from the lead position can be awful tough sometimes.I think that the missed call was more the result of using 2 officials only,rather than the official gagging on the play.The play at this level is high caliber,fast and physical,and definitely needs 3 officials.A third whistle on the floor would have certainly helped in this case.JMO.
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
2 things:
I think BANE did not get the jist of the post about Yugoslav players. I go back to my post re: Divac's behavior at the end of the US game. Why not T? Further, I don't think Jurassic was saying are players are better behaved then the Yugo's. He was pointing out that BOTH are bad, so it is difficult to watch and respect either. Although Reggie and Elton stuck around, so they get de facto respect!

Secondly, why aren't they using a 3 man crew? I find it odd that at the HS level, many associations are using 3 man crews, yet the top world tournament is using only 2. I just find that VERY odd.
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Talking

JMO
Yes , you could be right on the straight line analysis. I would like to see it again. I believe FIBA will be going to 3 man in the near future.
Also, on Chuck's post re: scored basket- I should have read the play more closely. In that case I agree with Eli . The most important thing is they must get it right.
Old Mon Sep 09, 2002, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: No angry

Quote:
Originally posted by Bane
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

What, you want to say that there is no foul when one of USA players blasted off our Vlade Divac out of playground in the end of match? But as officials said, there is no foul. That makes Divac angry, but we never cried to officials. Just to be sure, try to find some of Yugosav sites where somebody wrote one bad word for the officials.
Vlade has a huge reputation in the NBA of flopping and dramatizing any contact he receives. You have assume that when he goes flying, he's acting. The way he act 5'6", 160lb. guards send him to the 3rd row when they tap him on the shoulder. The officials know that and he loses the benefit of the doubt. So, when there is really contact, he doesn't get the call because the offical just thinks he's acting again. He does it to himself.

Quote:
When we talk about loser's dignity, I have to write something: What USA player does when they lost from Yugoslavia? They run to the shower, everybody but Reggie Miller. There was no compliments ... They just run away.
True enough. We're sending some of our worst and it shows. That behavior is a disgrace. I can't wait til be send real basketball players and good people again.

Quote:
When Divac asked American players for towel, they didn't gave it. Well, they were team friends until "yesterday".
I don't know so much about that. He's a trash talking, whining, flop king. May not really have "friends", just teammates.
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Many opened questions ...

I will try to answer to all of you mates, without quoting:
For Peter: Crying and moaning to the officials is manner of every country's players, whether you want to accept or not. I don' think that our players learned it in NBA. Moning is expression of mental unstable players, that we have got, and you have got. Maybe they can learn to crying to the officials, but I think the first term is domestic upbringing of players.
I have seen last seconds of Yugoslavia - Argentina match copule of time. Anyhow, there is no foul in regular part of match. It was foul about two seconds after the match was over. Argentina is great team. I would like if there was two gold medal. Be sure I would give one to Argentina.
For Jurastic Referre:
I agree, they must have 3 ref's. I hope it will be for next matches.
For Camron Rust: Vlade Divac is not our best player. He have got very big expirience, and when we need to, he appeased our players. And against USA, he played very good. I am glad if you agree for USA players dignity after the match with YU. That's the fact.

Today, our gold player came home. You can't believe what sensational reception they have in Belgrade. That is our 5th gold medal, and second for 4 years. We are again actual World and European champions. My people are celebrateing now. And I do. So, what can I do: I will congratulate myslef.
See you in Athens, that will be very interesting. I hope FIBA will change some rules, like you said. And also, I hope all players will stop moaning to the officials.

Best regards from winner's country!!!
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 01:24pm
In Memoriam

Bane,congratulations to you,your countrymen and team for winning the Worlds Basketball Championship.
Old Wed Sep 11, 2002, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thank you

Thank you very much JR.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

I was at the Yugoslavia/Argentina game and it was amazing. I was sitting in the heart of the rowdy Yugoslavian cheer section (had a blast, too). The Yugo fans cheered the entire game. They also boo'd (and cursed) loudly when Argentina had the ball, and it seemed to frustrate those players. I do not agree with this type of disrespect, but I do think it played a big part in this game. The Yugo fans were in reality "the sixth man". The fans for Yugo were more involved than any US fan--and they out-numbered us by far. Hell, the only reason my husband and I went to any of the games at all was because I had free tickets due to volunteering (one day, I was the mascot--Bounce. It was fun.)

Even though the US literally sent their "junior varsity" team, I don't know how well they would have done with stronger players against Yugoslavia. I don't think it would have been a "run-a-way" by any means for the USA, but I don't think they would have finished sixth, either. What a shame that the US did a poor job of representing themselves in this international competition.

just my 2 cents...
Diana

Oh, yeah....I thought it was odd that it was officated by only two refs....what's up with that?

Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by deeno27
one day, I was the mascot--Bounce.
It sounds like a lot of fun. Not just the part about being the mascot, but the whole event. It's too bad that it was not marketed better to draw a better crowd. I heard that the building was mostly empty for most of the games. Is that what you saw?

How did you get the mascot gig? And did they have a "routine" that they wanted you to do? Or were you just supposed to be "wacky" for 2 hours? I'm just curious.

Quote:
the US literally sent their "junior varsity" team
I hate to be Mr. Grammar, but I think you mean that the US figuratively sent its junior varsity. The closest thing the US has for a literal JV international team is the Junior Olympic team. But that's not really what you meant, is it?

Quote:
I thought it was odd that it was officated by only two refs....what's up with that?
As was discussed in another thread, if FIBA is going to accept high-level pro players for international competition, they need to use a 3-whistle system. Two officials just miss too much, and it's not their fault. They just can't pick up everything.

Aside from being a nit-picking nitwit, I'm usually a pretty decent guy. Glad to see you on the board, Diana

Chuck
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 02:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
As was discussed in another thread, if FIBA is going to accept high-level pro players for international competition, they need to use a 3-whistle system. Two officials just miss too much, and it's not their fault. They just can't pick up everything.[/B][/QUOTE]I watched the Lithuania/USA game to-day from the Womens World Championship in China.Two things kinda stood out to me:
1)The US women threw more passes in the first quarter than the US men seemed to throw in a complete game.They also worked their butts off on defense.They scored 105 points and gave up 48.Coincidence?
2)The game was fast,up-and-down,and both teams tried to break on every play.The two officials(one male and one female)doing the game both seemed to be good officials and did a pretty good job,but the things that seemed to be missed were due to the lack of a third official out there,IMO.High quality womens basketball has out-grown the 2-official system,too.