The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Lgp

Play in the lane - A1 defender on the floor - B1 gets rebound and falls over A1 - travel or foul?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
Play in the lane - A1 defender on the floor - B1 gets rebound and falls over A1 - travel or foul?
NFHS: Travel, assuming B1 A1 isn't moving. LGP isn't relevant if his lying still. If he's moving, he's liable.

NCAA: Foul on B1 A1.

Last edited by Adam; Fri Mar 05, 2010 at 01:55pm. Reason: to note that A1 is on defense in this scenario
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refsmitty View Post
It depends on how he got there. If B1 goes up for a rebound and comes straight down, then I have a foul because B1 is entitled to his spot on the floor and he beat A1 to it. B1 has to have a place to land. If A1 was on the floor before B1 jumped and A1 didn't move, then you can have a travel. Every player is entitled to a spot on the floor and NHSA says that even a player lying on the floor is LGP. There's a case play that says as much. I don't agree with it, but I don't make the rules. I just enforce them.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Lying still is only relevant if

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
NFHS: Travel, assuming B1 isn't moving. LGP isn't relevant if his lying still. If he's moving, he's liable.

NCAA: Foul on B1.
I think you meant A1 isn't moving. He is the one lying on the floor. Lying still isn't relevant if A1 got to that spot after B1 was airborne.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
It depends on how he got there. If B1 goes up for a rebound and comes straight down, then I have a foul because B1 is entitled to his spot on the floor and he beat A1 to it. B1 has to have a place to land. If A1 was on the floor before B1 jumped and A1 didn't move, then you can have a travel. Every player is entitled to a spot on the floor and NHSA says that even a player lying on the floor is LGP. There's a case play that says as much. I don't agree with it, but I don't make the rules. I just enforce them.
Lying on the floor isn't LGP, but it's a legal position on the floor. He's not liable if he ain't moving. If he's moving, he'd better have liability insurance (Padgett sells it).

Quote:
I think you meant A1 isn't moving. He is the one lying on the floor. Lying still isn't relevant if A1 got to that spot after B1 was airborne.
You're correct, dang it. I'm so used to B1 being the defender I don't always triple check my responses.

And you're right, if A1 gets there after B1 goes airborne, foul on A1.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

What would it take for you to call a PC foul on B1?
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 01:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupneff View Post
Illegal contact instead of incidental contact.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hard to envision how you could have PC. The defender is in no position to perform "normal defensive actions," so how could anyone put him at a disadvantage.

Flagrant or intentional are certainly possible, however.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 02:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Hard to envision how you could have PC. The defender is in no position to perform "normal defensive actions," so how could anyone put him at a disadvantage.

Flagrant or intentional are certainly possible, however.
If he's trying to get up, I could see it. However, if the contact creates a travel or causes B1 to lose the ball OOB, go with the violation.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Highly Unlikely

Quote:
If B1 is just coming down from getting a rebound and doesn't doing anything out of the ordinary, the only thing I could have is either a travel or block. He would have to intentional stomp on A1. If that's the case I'm going with a flagrant and his night is done! I say this is unlikely because this play is going to happen so fast he isn't going to have time to think about doing something so stupid as intentionally kick A1. He is gathering the rebound and then coming back to the ground where he then falls. At that point we have a travel or block. If he then kicks A1 we have dead ball contact and if we are going to call it, it will have to be either an intentional or flagrant technical.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If he's trying to get up, I could see it. However, if the contact creates a travel or causes B1 to lose the ball OOB, go with the violation.
Sorry, I still can't envision what you have in mind. A ball carrier keeping a player down on the floor? With what, his foot? Shoving him back down? I think I'm going intentional with either of those.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2010, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If B1 is just coming down from getting a rebound and doesn't doing anything out of the ordinary, the only thing I could have is either a travel or block. He would have to intentional stomp on A1. If that's the case I'm going with a flagrant and his night is done! I say this is unlikely because this play is going to happen so fast he isn't going to have time to think about doing something so stupid as intentionally kick A1. He is gathering the rebound and then coming back to the ground where he then falls. At that point we have a travel or block. If he then kicks A1 we have dead ball contact and if we are going to call it, it will have to be either an intentional or flagrant technical.
This is what I was thinking (possible intentional or flagrant, but not common). However, I was envisioning B1 landing ON A1. I'd still likely call it incidental (except maybe in a youth league), but wanted some other opinions.