The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wrong basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57410-wrong-basket.html)

Johnny Ringo Wed Mar 03, 2010 08:59pm

Wrong basket

Jump ball goes to A1 in his backcourt.

A1 dribbles towards the wrong bucket and throws towards the basket (attempt). The ball does not go in and A1 gets the rebound. A1 then begins to dribble back towards his frontcourt realizing his wrongdoing.

legal play? Or do we have some sort of violation?

justacoach Wed Mar 03, 2010 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666140)

A1 dribbles towards the wrong bucket and throws towards the basket (attempt). The ball does not go in and A1 gets the rebound. A1 then begins to dribble back towards his frontcourt realizing his wrongdoing.

Does 'gets the rebound' mean it caromed directly off the backboard, or, it first bounced on the floor?

Nevadaref Wed Mar 03, 2010 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666140)

Illegal dribble violation.

just another ref Wed Mar 03, 2010 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 666142)
Does 'gets the rebound' mean it caromed directly off the backboard, or, it first bounced on the floor?

Doesn't matter.

Adam Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 666142)

Same thing.

budjones05 Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:41am

Illegal dribble

Johnny Ringo Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:26pm

Basically, A1 took a shot attempt... everyone was yelling NO, NO - Wrong Way!

A1 realizes this, gets the rebound after it missed. Grabbed the ball and strated to dribble back towards his F/C.

I thought this could be called a double dribble. Because the shot is not consider a legal try since it was the wrong basket, therefore you have an illegal dribble.

All of the officials I have spoken with in the local association said this was fine and I still was not sure - which is why I posted here.

Is this supported in the Rule Book or Case Book.

Thanks!

APG Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:28pm

4.15.4 Situation C

mbyron Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666254)
Basically, A1 took a shot attempt... everyone was yelling NO, NO - Wrong Way!

A1 realizes this, gets the rebound after it missed. Grabbed the ball and strated to dribble back towards his F/C.

I thought this could be called a double dribble. Because the shot is not consider a legal try since it was the wrong basket, therefore you have an illegal dribble.

All of the officials I have spoken with in the local association said this was fine and I still was not sure - which is why I posted here.

Is this supported in the Rule Book or Case Book.

Thanks!

Yes, it's an illegal dribble. Any game MS and up it should be called.

Johnny Ringo Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:47pm

Is my reasoning correct? These guys may argue and one of them is the assignor.

bob jenkins Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666262)

Not exactly.

The ball hitting the opponent's backboard is the same as the ball hitting the floor. (You'll find that statement (or something substantially close to it) in the rules book).

So, dribble, followed by hold, followed by throwing the ball against the backboard, followed by touch is the same as dribble, hold, dribble.

No one would have trouble calling the second a violation; they shouldn't have any trouble calling the first a violation.

You can also point out the case play mentioned in this thread, and the dfinition of "try" (specifically "at your own basket.")

Adam Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666262)

Given the rarity of the situation, I would seriously consider the merits of dropping the issue if those with whom you are arguing have any say in your assignments.

At the very least, you would need to approach them with tact.

Johnny Ringo Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:00pm

Pefect. Thanks Bob ... one more, but am I correct in saying that you can't have a legal try at your opponent's basket and that adds to why you can't get a rebound and begin to dribble again?

Adam Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666269)
Pefect. Thanks Bob ... one more, but am I correct in saying that you can't have a legal try at your opponent's basket and that adds to why you can't get a rebound and begin to dribble again?

Yes, the same concept that precludes a shooting foul in this situation.

ref2coach Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 666267)
Given the rarity of the situation, I would seriously consider the merits of dropping the issue if those with whom you are arguing have any say in your assignments.

At the very least, you would need to approach them with tact.

A good way to approach is to have your Rule & Case book with you then ask for help, "understanding" the way the rule and case play are written. Then ask how to reconcile the play described with the rule & case book. Be ready to ask additional "directed" questions that leads them to the correct solution. Be sure to thank them for "helping you understand" the rule and case book better. ;)