The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wrong basket (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57410-wrong-basket.html)

Johnny Ringo Wed Mar 03, 2010 08:59pm

Wrong basket

Jump ball goes to A1 in his backcourt.

A1 dribbles towards the wrong bucket and throws towards the basket (attempt). The ball does not go in and A1 gets the rebound. A1 then begins to dribble back towards his frontcourt realizing his wrongdoing.

legal play? Or do we have some sort of violation?

justacoach Wed Mar 03, 2010 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666140)

A1 dribbles towards the wrong bucket and throws towards the basket (attempt). The ball does not go in and A1 gets the rebound. A1 then begins to dribble back towards his frontcourt realizing his wrongdoing.

Does 'gets the rebound' mean it caromed directly off the backboard, or, it first bounced on the floor?

Nevadaref Wed Mar 03, 2010 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666140)

Illegal dribble violation.

just another ref Wed Mar 03, 2010 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 666142)
Does 'gets the rebound' mean it caromed directly off the backboard, or, it first bounced on the floor?

Doesn't matter.

Adam Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 666142)

Same thing.

budjones05 Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:41am

Illegal dribble

Johnny Ringo Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:26pm

Basically, A1 took a shot attempt... everyone was yelling NO, NO - Wrong Way!

A1 realizes this, gets the rebound after it missed. Grabbed the ball and strated to dribble back towards his F/C.

I thought this could be called a double dribble. Because the shot is not consider a legal try since it was the wrong basket, therefore you have an illegal dribble.

All of the officials I have spoken with in the local association said this was fine and I still was not sure - which is why I posted here.

Is this supported in the Rule Book or Case Book.

Thanks!

APG Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:28pm

4.15.4 Situation C

mbyron Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666254)
Basically, A1 took a shot attempt... everyone was yelling NO, NO - Wrong Way!

A1 realizes this, gets the rebound after it missed. Grabbed the ball and strated to dribble back towards his F/C.

I thought this could be called a double dribble. Because the shot is not consider a legal try since it was the wrong basket, therefore you have an illegal dribble.

All of the officials I have spoken with in the local association said this was fine and I still was not sure - which is why I posted here.

Is this supported in the Rule Book or Case Book.

Thanks!

Yes, it's an illegal dribble. Any game MS and up it should be called.

Johnny Ringo Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:47pm

Is my reasoning correct? These guys may argue and one of them is the assignor.

bob jenkins Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666262)

Not exactly.

The ball hitting the opponent's backboard is the same as the ball hitting the floor. (You'll find that statement (or something substantially close to it) in the rules book).

So, dribble, followed by hold, followed by throwing the ball against the backboard, followed by touch is the same as dribble, hold, dribble.

No one would have trouble calling the second a violation; they shouldn't have any trouble calling the first a violation.

You can also point out the case play mentioned in this thread, and the dfinition of "try" (specifically "at your own basket.")

Adam Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666262)

Given the rarity of the situation, I would seriously consider the merits of dropping the issue if those with whom you are arguing have any say in your assignments.

At the very least, you would need to approach them with tact.

Johnny Ringo Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:00pm

Pefect. Thanks Bob ... one more, but am I correct in saying that you can't have a legal try at your opponent's basket and that adds to why you can't get a rebound and begin to dribble again?

Adam Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666269)
Pefect. Thanks Bob ... one more, but am I correct in saying that you can't have a legal try at your opponent's basket and that adds to why you can't get a rebound and begin to dribble again?

Yes, the same concept that precludes a shooting foul in this situation.

ref2coach Thu Mar 04, 2010 01:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 666267)
Given the rarity of the situation, I would seriously consider the merits of dropping the issue if those with whom you are arguing have any say in your assignments.

At the very least, you would need to approach them with tact.

A good way to approach is to have your Rule & Case book with you then ask for help, "understanding" the way the rule and case play are written. Then ask how to reconcile the play described with the rule & case book. Be ready to ask additional "directed" questions that leads them to the correct solution. Be sure to thank them for "helping you understand" the rule and case book better. ;)

mbyron Thu Mar 04, 2010 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo (Post 666269)

You can't have any try -- legal or illegal -- at your opponent's basket. And there's nothing illegal about throwing a live ball into your opponent's basket, so it's a mistake to think of that as an "illegal try."

stosh Thu Mar 04, 2010 02:29pm

Another thing to consider on this if AI was fouled as he shot (threw) the ball at the wrong basket. If the ball goes in, I believe, the basket does not count since the foul causes the ball to immediately become dead. If he misses the shot, he gets it out of bounds nearest the spot of the foul (unless they are in the bonus).

Raymond Thu Mar 04, 2010 02:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stosh (Post 666314)
Another thing to consider on this if AI was fouled as he shot (threw) the ball at the wrong basket. If the ball goes in, I believe, the basket does not count since the foul causes the ball to immediately become dead. If he misses the shot, he gets it out of bounds nearest the spot of the foul (unless they are in the bonus).

Whether he misses or if the ball goes in, designated throw-in at the spot nearest the foul.

BillyMac Fri Mar 05, 2010 07:41am

Just Checking ???

A1 receives a pass in his backcourt. For some reason A1 gets confused and throws a set shot toward the wrong basket, never lifting his pivot foot off the floor. The ball clangs and bounces around the basket and backboard, and finally falls fall off the rim and bounces on the floor. A1, with one hand, taps the ball the the ground and keeps on dribbling, now in the right direction. Legal? Right?

sseltser Fri Mar 05, 2010 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 666436)
a set shot toward the wrong basket, never lifting his pivot foot off the floor.

I believe this is key... never thought of it before. Thanks

Johnny Ringo Fri Mar 05, 2010 01:54pm

BillyMac, I would say that would be a legal play. The "set shot" would be the start of the dribble, and since they continued the dribble when the ball hit the floor and did not catch and start a NEW dribble - what you described is an illegal dribble.

shutupneff Fri Mar 05, 2010 02:19pm

And if a player attempts a jump shot at the wrong basket and gets their own rebound, it's a violation because the dribble was started with the pivot foot off the ground, right?

bob jenkins Fri Mar 05, 2010 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutupneff (Post 666544)
And if a player attempts a jump shot at the wrong basket and gets their own rebound, it's a violation because

It's a violation because the pronoun doesn't agree with the antecedent.

shutupneff Fri Mar 05, 2010 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 666547)
It's a violation because the pronoun doesn't agree with the antecedent.

Boo! Hiss!

[HEDGE BET]Just in case you weren't being jocular, I was just trying to keep it gender neutral[/HEDGE BET]

mbyron Fri Mar 05, 2010 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shutupneff (Post 666549)
[HEDGE BET]Just in case you weren't being jocular, I was just trying to keep it gender neutral[/HEDGE BET]

Worthy goal, but not an excuse for bad grammar. If you make your pronouns plural, change their antecedents accordingly:
"And if players attempt a jump shot at the wrong basket and get their own rebound...."

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 05, 2010 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 666553)
Worthy goal, but not an excuse for bad grammar. If you make your pronouns plural, change their antecedents accordingly:
"And if players attempt a jump shot at the wrong basket and get their own rebound...."

What if she was the player, er, were the players, er, whatever?

http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2008...o-headed_1.jpg

Adam Fri Mar 05, 2010 02:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 666553)

We need a gender-neutral pronoun. We used to have one, but apparently it too closely resembled the masculine pronoun.

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 05, 2010 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 666556)
We need a gender-neutral pronoun. We used to have one, but apparently it too closely resembled the masculine pronoun.

Are you implying all men are created equal but all women aren't? :rolleyes:

BTW - my wife has always objected to the use of the term "mankind" - not because she thinks it's not gender neutral, but because she doesn't think men are kind. :)

Adam Fri Mar 05, 2010 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 666557)
Are you implying all men are created equal but all women aren't? :rolleyes:

Sure. :rolleyes:

KCRC Fri Mar 05, 2010 03:32pm

Sounds easy until it actually happens

Saw this in 7th Grade Girls.

A1 throws the ball at the wrong basket and misses. B1 rebounds the ball and takes two dribbles toward the other end of the court and passes ahead to B2 who lays it in. Tweet. Official waives off the basket. Why?

Mark Padgett Fri Mar 05, 2010 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCRC (Post 666560)

A1 throws the ball at the wrong basket and misses. B1 rebounds the ball and takes two dribbles toward the other end of the court and passes ahead to B2 who lays it in. Tweet. Official waives off the basket. Why?

Are you asking because you really don't know or is this a question for newbies?

KCRC Fri Mar 05, 2010 03:44pm

Newbies

Newbies. Should have specified. I think most everyone will get the right answer. The post was more for amusement at the situation then for the ruling.

shutupneff Fri Mar 05, 2010 04:29pm

Quote:

Too easy. 11 players on the court, and seven of 'em are swearin' up a storm.

just another ref Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32pm

Quote:

Backcourt violation. What do I win?

BillyMac Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:48am

Johnnie Walker's Blue Label ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 666627)
Backcourt violation. What do I win?

Please select a prize from the top shelf.