The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 07:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down Another dumb commentator comment

Wake Forest - Florida State game on ESPN2. A Wake player takes a shot from along the endline near the corner and it hits the side of the backboard. Play by play announcer (don't know who it was) says the shot hit the "basket support". Gee - I guess the officials missed an OOB call then.

A dumb commentator comment. So what else is new? This happened in the first five minutes of the game. I wonder how many more he'll chalk up before the end of the contest?
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like Mike Patrick
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 09:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Ah Yes....

I have the pleasure of watching the otherACC game matching Coach Mike "the Whiner" K vs Gary "I could blow my cork at any time" Williams.

There was a "non-call" against Md in the first half where Williams was so far out onto the floor you would have thought he was either a player or they had called a TO - neither was the case and of course Coach K is really working the officials....
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

I am sendig them a copy of the NCAA Rule book along with the CCA Manuel for Mr. Lavin and company. Should I send them an appiciation to a camp as well?
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

I thought Coach K was going to lose it when, in a brief stretch, his team was called for a BC violation incorrectly and then a travel incorrectly! Not sure whether it was the same official, but boy was Mike hot! The F-bombs were flying left and right!

The BC: long rebound in Duke's FC, MD player then Duke player touches it in the FC (no team control), Duke player gets control in the BC. Tweet! As I saw it develop, I was thinking, "nope, not a BC." Guess I was wrong!

The travel: Duke in their FC running their halfcourt offense. A1 holds the ball with his back to the basket, A2 runs around to take the ball. A2 gets the ball and immediately releases it for a dribble. Tweet! I have no earthly idea what the official saw -- saw it on replay too.

Ask Coach K why the Dookies lost.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 08:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

The BC: long rebound in Duke's FC, MD player then Duke player touches it in the FC (no team control), Duke player gets control in the BC. Tweet! As I saw it develop, I was thinking, "nope, not a BC." Guess I was wrong!

One part you left out from this play. One of Duke's big men tapped the rebound towards the backcourt. The calling official may have felt that this was a controlled tap.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
One part you left out from this play. One of Duke's big men tapped the rebound towards the backcourt. The calling official may have felt that this was a controlled tap.
I didn't see that. My recollection is that the ball bounced high off the back of the rim toward the backcourt, untouched.

Your recollection is more charitable to the officials.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

I had one of these earlier this season and there was a tap (controlled or uncontrolled, that was the question) that ended in the backcourt.

I determined it was not a controlled tap, no-called it, and the home coach was incredulous that it wasn't a violation. At the next timeout, my partner told me it was a great no-call, that it certainly didn't fall under player control (it was off a rebounded shot), but I still wasn't really convinced myself. But sometimes you make a determination and that's that -- it's so close you just have to go with your instinct on the play.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

In watching the game it looked like it was tipped out by the big man on the rebound. Sheyer then tipped it in the front court and went and got it in the backcourt. I felt last to tip first to touch is a backcourt violation.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
In watching the game it looked like it was tipped out by the big man on the rebound. Sheyer then tipped it in the front court and went and got it in the backcourt. I felt last to tip first to touch is a backcourt violation.
Last to tip, first to touch is a violation if team control has been established. There is no team control on a shot.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
If team control is established. If the "big man"'s tip and Scheyer's tip weren't controlled, then team control was not established and it's no violation.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:42am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What is a controlled tap?

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:52am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What is a controlled tap?
Has player control been established? That's the only question that you can really ask.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 09:57am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Has player control been established?
If it was, it wasn't a tap, in terms that are most familiar to me.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 10:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Player control is established by holding or dribbling the ball; unless the "tap" constituted the start of a dribble, I don't see how that can work.