The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
My son put the ball on the floor and blew right by him while saying, "Not for long."
Did he take the ball with him or just leave it on the floor?

OK - I'll stop now.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

I get a chuckle when little Sally or Billy take the ball out of my hand while I'm waiting for my partner to give me the 'go ahead' signal after a dead ball.

It's like, "listen here *sweet cakes*/*junior*, no touchy the ball until me bounces/hands it to you.".
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:05pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
When kids come out to start a new quarter, they almost always ask, "Whose ball?"
Very true, at all ages. With the little kids, I sometimes say "Mine." Nobody knows what to say then. For all ages, I will sometimes throw the question back.
"How do you tell?" It is amazing to me how many players, including varsity, do not know the answer.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:06pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post

OK - I'll stop now.
I don't believe you.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 04:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Very true, at all ages. With the little kids, I sometimes say "Mine." Nobody knows what to say then. For all ages, I will sometimes throw the question back. "How do you tell?" It is amazing to me how many players, including varsity, do not know the answer.
Sometimes when the team whose ball it is asks, I'll say, "I dunno. Do you want it?" When they say yes (or usually they shake their head) I tell them they can have it since they asked first. Once I had a kid respond by saying, "COOL! Thanks, dude."
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pork, The Other White Meat ...

Ball goes out of bounds off Blue. I sound my whistle, put up my hand to stop the clock, say, "White", and point in the direction that White is going. Fifth grade girl from the Blue team steps out of bounds to take the throwin from me, so I tell her, "No, it's the other White team."
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Very true, at all ages. With the little kids, I sometimes say "Mine." Nobody knows what to say then. For all ages, I will sometimes throw the question back.
"How do you tell?" It is amazing to me how many players, including varsity, do not know the answer.
Never ask a coach that question!
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
I enjoy reffing the youngest players from time to time. They are often so sincere, so intent, and so clueless.

Yesterday, 5th grade girls, dead ball for my partner to administer. I'm trail, table side. I hear the nearest coach say, "Maggie, you're in." Maggie jumps up and runs straight onto the floor. Coach says, "No, no, check in at the table". But Maggie doesn't hear her because she's saying hi to me (she knows me). I say, "You have to check in at the table". She goes back to the table, talks to the table person for a moment, and then squats down in front of the table. I say, "Sub, you're in" and wave her in, while table person also tells her to go on in. Meantime, of course, whoever should be leaving has no clue, so Maggie's not getting the hint. But she finally jumps up from the X and starts to run in. Then, right in front of me, she stops, looks up at me, and says, "Now?" I only nod because I hear her parents laughing from the stands, and I don't trust myself to do differently.

They're so cute at that age!
The youngsters are the only kids I have experience with so far and they are a blast. Can't beat the k-2nd graders for rough and tumble action nonstop. The 6th graders start to get kinda serious . And coaches that are mostly parents that like bball and have zero rules knowledge!( Helps that I'm only hitting on about 15 percent rule knowledge. ) nonetheless I aspire to advance possibly all the way to middle school ,or even wreck league credentials !
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward ref View Post
The youngsters are the only kids I have experience with so far and they are a blast. Can't beat the k-2nd graders for rough and tumble action nonstop. The 6th graders start to get kinda serious . And coaches that are mostly parents that like bball and have zero rules knowledge!( Helps that I'm only hitting on about 15 percent rule knowledge. ) nonetheless I aspire to advance possibly all the way to middle school ,or even wreck league credentials !
Thank you for your time and commitment to Upward! All three of my basketball playing kids started their young careers with that program at our church. I've coached and officiated (still do) in the program, as well.

Wonderful ministry opportunity.

Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I called a foul on a youngster this year in a rec game and he started crying right then and there!