The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Winningest NCAA Coach to Retire

Coach Meyer won the Jimmy V. award last year. I've worked on the court for the man and have seen the way he teaches boys to become men. A truly great coach and a person. Here is the press release:

NSU Coach Don Meyer to Retire from Coaching, Will stay on with University

Northern State University President James Smith has accepted the retirement of NSU Men’s Basketball Coach Don Meyer effective at the end of the NSU Men’s Basketball 2009-2010 season.

“Although Coach Meyer will remain on staff with us here at NSU in Aberdeen, his loss on the basketball court will be felt for years to come,” said Smith. “Don is a legendary coach but, more importantly, a legendary person. His passion for developing young men into extremely successful adults is and always has been his true key to success. I look forward to working more closely with him but am saddened by the thought of not seeing him walking the floor that so proudly carries his name.”

Meyer will remain on staff at NSU in the role of Regent Distinguished Professor. In addition, President Smith will request a change of position for Meyer that will allow him to promote the image of NSU through public speaking, consulting, workshops, seminars, special appearances and fundraising activities.

“After consulting with our physicians and meeting with my family, we have determined that I no longer possess the necessary physical or mental energy to continue administering the NSU basketball program at its highest possible level,” said Meyer. “It is time for someone with more energy and time available to deal with the unique challenges of a basketball program like Northern State.”

In September, 2008 the 65-year-old Meyer was critically injured in an automobile accident that resulted in the loss of part of his left leg. During subsequent surgeries, he also learned he had an inoperable form of cancer. Undeterred, Meyer returned to the sidelines for the start of the season and went on to become the all-time NCAA men’s basketball career wins record holder – a mark he still holds. Heading to the final week of regular season play, Meyer currently has a record of 922 wins and 323 losses.

In July, 2009 Meyer was the recipient of the ESPN Jimmy V. Perseverance Award at the 2009 ESPN ESPYS. In April, 2010 Meyer will receive the “Legends of the Hardwood Award” at the NCAA Final Four.

The Wayne, Neb. native attended the University of Northern Colorado and graduated in 1967 majoring in physical education and minoring in English. Meyer began his coaching career at Western State (Colo.) where he was an assistant from 1968-70. From there he went to the University of Utah where he served as an assistant basketball coach from 1970-72 and earned a Ph.D. Meyer has spent 38 years as a head coach and has been married to his wife Carmen for 42 years. The couple have three children and eight grandchildren.
A national search for a new head men’s basketball coach will begin immediately.

More information about Coach Meyer can be found at Untitled 1.