The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Could use some feed back

Varesity boys game the other night. Home team up by 15. I'm lead bench side when post player goes up between two defenders and there is some contact but he got the shot off at the rim and missed. H coach blows up off the bench and comes down to the end of the bench hands waving yelling how could I miss that and that is horrible. As I go by (no time to stop and chat, game still going)I say The play is over coach calm down and let it go. For the next two times up and down the floor he is still telling me he can't believe I didn't make that call. On my way by a second time I tell him I thought his player got off a good shot. (still no time to stop and discuss). As I come back by for the third time L going to T, he yells at me to blow my freakin whistle. At this point I T him up. He spent the rest of the game complaining to my partners about how I should be able to take more before giving a T. Another one of our officials was watching the game and he complained to him that I should not be working V ball if I can't handle a coach yelling at me. Was looking for some feed back from the straight shooters here to let me know there thoughts. Too quick on the T. Some helpfull insite to dealling with coaches. Or just any thoughts you may have. Coaches seam to be getting on my nerves more that usuall lately. Thanks in advance.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 03:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
1) H coach blows up off the bench and comes down to the end of the bench hands waving yelling how could I miss that and that is horrible. As I go by (no time to stop and chat, game still going)I say The play is over coach calm down and let it go.

2) For the next two times up and down the floor he is still telling me he can't believe I didn't make that call. On my way by a second time I tell him I thought his player got off a good shot. (still no time to stop and discuss). As I come back by for the third time L going to T, he yells at me to blow my freakin whistle. At this point I T him up.

3) He spent the rest of the game complaining to my partners about how I should be able to take more before giving a T.

4) Another one of our officials was watching the game and he complained to him that I should not be working V ball if I can't handle a coach yelling at me.
1) Warning

2) Good "T" but you took two more trips up and down that I would have made before nailing him. You don't have to take that kinda crap from a high school coach. Ever. And if do take it, then you've got nobody to blame but yourself.

3) And you need to get a new set of partners if they let that coach get away from dumping on you for the rest of that game. They're supposed to have your back and not put up with nonsense like that. They should have put an end to his complaining immediately. Not doing anything is the same as tacitly agreeing with the coach. Methinks your partners threw you under the bus.

4) The official watching the game should have turned tail and got the hell outa there when he saw the coach coming. No way he should be taking complaints about a fellow official immediately after a game. It's "Sorry, coach, I can't discuss it now" time.

From your description, I think that you did just fine. You took care of bidness. Your partners and the fellow official in the stands? Not so good imo.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 04:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Whack A Mole Game ...

Jurassic Referee's post is right on target. I don't mind a coach complaining about a specific call at the time, or immediately after, it happens, but I am not allowing him to complain about such call several minutes later.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 04:45pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Jurassic Referee's post is right on target. I don't mind a coach complaining about a specific call at the time, or immediately after, it happens, but I am not allowing him to complain about such call several minutes later.
Are they harping on some kid for a missed layup 10 minutes after the fact? Of course not. If he doesn't know when to shut up, then the T is HIS fault, not yours. Get with your partners to advise them what happened and that if there merits a 2nd one being called, to make sure that one of them does the honor. You took too much before calling it as others have pointed out, but it sounds like you have learned from the experience.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

I think most of the veterans here will tell you that you waited too long to whack the coach. Personally, my typical process is to allow him the initial reaction without saying much, unless he is WAY out of line. The next time he brings it up, he gets the warning. The third time, he gets stuck.

Your partners, who allowed him to gripe that you are too sensitive, have no guts.

You were fine in the manner in which you dealt with the coach. My only suggestion is you need to casually mention to your partners that you posted the sitch on this site, so they can get the message as well.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 06:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

That Could Explain A Lot of Things ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
And you need to get a new set of partners if they let that coach get away from dumping on you for the rest of that game. They're supposed to have your back and not put up with nonsense like that. They should have put an end to his complaining immediately. Not doing anything is the same as tacitly agreeing with the coach. Methinks your partners threw you under the bus. Your partners and the fellow official in the stands? Not so good.
By any chance, are you located in a state where coaches "vote" officials into the state tournament?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 06:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Join The Crowd ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Coaches seam to be getting on my nerves more that usual lately.
Of course, it's mid February. Coaches are looking to make the conference or state tournament, or to lock up a high seed going into such tournaments.

Here in the Constitution State a team needs eight wins, in a twenty game regular season, to make the state tournament. Without looking at the standings in the newspapers, you can tell as soon a the ball is tossed to start the game which teams have six, or seven, wins, with two, or three, games to go.

Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 06:29pm
Huck Finn

IMO, this is a problem with basketball and high school basketball in particular. I have heard some people describe a high school basketball as an extension of the classroom. Even if you don't agree with that, I think there are some things wrong with the OP's situation.

I don't like waving arms or open arms like a coach is hanging on the cross. I also don't like another adult yelling at me. I have no problem with a coach not liking what I called or didn't call, but as the adult leading his or her team I would expect them to set an example so I don't have to deal with little Johnny thinking he can talk to me the same way. In short, zero tolerance for unsporting acts from 15-18 year olds and just slightly more for coaches. Also, I don't like it when a coach is yelling across the court at one of my partners. I wouldn't say these things are absolute Ts, but they certainly should be addressed.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
I also don't like another adult yelling at me. I have no problem with a coach not liking what I called or didn't call, but as the adult leading his or her team I would expect them to set an example so I don't have to deal with little Johnny thinking he can talk to me the same way.
Bingo!! Obviously this coach believes that his carrying on and on about what he considers to be a questionable call should be tolerated by the officials.

When a coach is walking up and down the floor complaining loudly HE isn't doing his job (which is coaching his team, not the officials) and YOU are being distracted from doing your job by all his carrying on. A well-placed T helps BOTH of you get back to doing what you're supposed to be doing.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 07:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
By any chance, are you located in a state where coaches "vote" officials into the state tournament?
No, thank God.
Old Sun Feb 21, 2010, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your input fellas. I felt good about the call right when I made it. He had a big lead and we were calling a good game up to that point. So I was really suprised he got so upset over this call. He is a veteran coach in the area so I think he feels he gets special treatment.(I don't know). I don't believe my partners threw me under the bus per say, they were just trying to get him over it I guess. One partner told him that I have been calling ball for quite awhile and he shouldn't argue with me anyway. I thought that was really funny. When he went to complain to the third official the coach says don't tell me he has been doing this for quite some time.
I really don't know why coaches think they have the right to talk to officials in that manner. I will let a coach get away with quite a bit if he talks to me like a human being.
Just wanted to see if I was the only one who thought this coach needed T. Thanks again and keep up the good work my felow stripes.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 11:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

"Coach, if you have a question about his no-call, you might want to ask it politely. Personally, he took longer than I would have in sitting you down."

Not that I'd really say the last part.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course, it's mid February. Coaches are looking to make the conference or state tournament, or to lock up a high seed going into such tournaments.
Had one of these last week. T'd a coach that desperately deserved it. Following game - he is following us out to car - angry that we won't talk with him. (he lost game) He is yelling that we cost him the game and ruined his seeding chances and that we would never work a game for his school again.

Ironically - we have been assigned our first regional game with that team. I contacted state and told them about the situation - they responded that they had considered my report when assigning tournament games and that by all accounts we had called a good game and that the T was well deserved.

Won't he be surprised to see us
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 11:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Had one of these last week. T'd a coach that desperately deserved it. Following game - he is following us out to car - angry that we won't talk with him. (he lost game) He is yelling that we cost him the game and ruined his seeding chances and that we would never work a game for his school again.

Ironically - we have been assigned our first regional game with that team. I contacted state and told them about the situation - they responded that they had considered my report when assigning tournament games and that by all accounts we had called a good game and that the T was well deserved.

That's so beautiful I might just cry.
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 11:53am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post

People have no idea how tough this job is. My compliments in advance for not thumbing your noses at this guy when you see him, as appropriate as that may be.

Lonesome Dove