The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 22, 2010, 12:10pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Had one of these last week. T'd a coach that desperately deserved it. Following game - he is following us out to car - angry that we won't talk with him. (he lost game) He is yelling that we cost him the game and ruined his seeding chances and that we would never work a game for his school again.

Ironically - we have been assigned our first regional game with that team. I contacted state and told them about the situation - they responded that they had considered my report when assigning tournament games and that by all accounts we had called a good game and that the T was well deserved.

Won't he be surprised to see us
Gotta love the folks in the state office!
Send him a box of cigars
They should really impose some sort of discipline against this coach for chasing after you in the parking lot.
Of course, we'll be expecting a full report about the rematch.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
that's so beautiful i might just cry.
+1

--- Famous Cleveland area official to HC

"I Love Officiating so much, I do it for free. However, I charge for all the crap I take."

--- Me
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 10:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Thanks for your input fellas. I felt good about the call right when I made it. He had a big lead and we were calling a good game up to that point. So I was really suprised he got so upset over this call. He is a veteran coach in the area so I think he feels he gets special treatment.(I don't know). I don't believe my partners threw me under the bus per say, they were just trying to get him over it I guess. One partner told him that I have been calling ball for quite awhile and he shouldn't argue with me anyway. I thought that was really funny. When he went to complain to the third official the coach says don't tell me he has been doing this for quite some time.
I really don't know why coaches think they have the right to talk to officials in that manner. I will let a coach get away with quite a bit if he talks to me like a human being.
Just wanted to see if I was the only one who thought this coach needed T. Thanks again and keep up the good work my felow stripes.
I have no problem with the 'T' you gave. It was deserved. But I do think there was too much conversation on both your part and most definitely your partners' part.

For you: too much explaining as why you didn't have a call on that particular play. Also, I'm not a fan of telling a coach to "calm down" or "coach your team". A simple "I had nothing on that play Coach" should have sufficed prior to any subsequent warnings and/or 'T'.

For your partners: Anything more than "Coach, I'm not discussing my partner with you" is too much.
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Anyone else betting that before the start of the tournament game, coach approaches the crew to give them the standard "Gee, guys, I was really upset, you always do a great job, sometimes I react without thinking, etc., etc." bull crap?
Old Tue Feb 23, 2010, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jearef View Post
Anyone else betting that before the start of the tournament game, coach approaches the crew to give them the standard "Gee, guys, I was really upset, you always do a great job, sometimes I react without thinking, etc., etc." bull crap?
I would b shocked. We'll probably just get dirty looks, like I just ran over his cat.