The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 18, 2000, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Question

I am a new (1st year) official. My brother-in-law is a successful high school coach who's boys' team played in the third round of a state play-off game last night. Here's what happened: At the end of an Overtime period, with 4.0 seconds remaining; the score is 58 to 56 (Team A winning). Team B in bounds the ball at end line of their backcourt, dribbles the entire length of the court, gets a two-point shot off and it goes in to tie the game 58 to 58. THE CLOCK STILL SHOWS 4.0 SECONDS! IT WAS NEVER STARTED! My brother-in-law, who is normally composed, goes "nuts". The other coach goes "whacky" too because he wants it to be counted as a three-point shot. Spectators had to be retrained from the scorers' table by uniformed security officers. Those poor officials! I'm sure that one of their comments during their quick conference at center court was, "Now what in the #*&?! do we do?" Let me know what you would have done, then I'll reply and tell you what happened. WOW!
Old Sat Mar 18, 2000, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Red face

Some observations as a timer/wanna-be ref:

(1) In close games with only a few seconds left (especially in tourneys) most refs will be counting either with a wrist flick or mentally, and should be able to say either the shot was after the "horn" or how much should be left on the clock.

(2) This was a backcourt throw-in, so the trail should have had at least part of a ten-second count, which can be taken off of the clock.

(3) If there was no count whatsoever, then the score is tied 58-58, and team A gets to inbound the ball with 4.0 seconds left in the game.

(4) No matter which of the above happens/ed, the timer will be killed shortly after the game.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2000, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation in a college game this year. First of all we need to focus on game management. In my opinion the player never should have gotten a shot off. The officials need to recognize that the clock had not started and immediately kill the play. Second, if there was a timeout immediately before the play, the officials should use this time to confer with the scorers. Simply saying "we need you now" to the timer will often help them keep focused.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2000, 12:21am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by doghead on 03-18-2000 08:57 AM
Spectators had to be retrained

I think training the spectators is a great idea. Then we can get to work on the coaches.
Old Sun Mar 19, 2000, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Mark Dexter is right, but who gets dibl on the timer, the refs or the coaches, or the spectators?
Old Sun Mar 19, 2000, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Whoops! I should have checked my spelling on my original post...the spectators had to be RESTRAINED...ha! ha! ha! Funny comment though! Anyway, here's how it ended. The shot was counted good for two points which tied the game. The referee said that he had counted 4 seconds off in his head, so they played a second overtime period. Happily, I report that my brother-in-law's team won! The next day, my brother-in-law watched the videotape of the game with a stop watch. The shot was released at 4.2 seconds (and it definitely was a 3-point basket). Well, it's always easy to draw conclusions once we've had the advantage of reviewing it on a videotape. I think the officials did a good job here given a very tough situation. Once again, I continue to learn! Thanks for your prompt responses!
Old Sun Mar 19, 2000, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Cook on 03-19-2000 08:56 AM
Mark Dexter is right, but who gets dibl on the timer, the refs or the coaches, or the spectators?

I'm assuming you mean dibs?

Mainly the refs and coaches. The fans are usually too ignorant of what is going on, but if I messed up or (especially if) I had to say a basket didn't count b/c of horn error, all the students in my school would kill me the next school day.

Coaches would probably both be at the table screaming at me while the refs conferred at midcourt.

Refs would chew my --- out in the locker room afterwards.

Old Sun Mar 19, 2000, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by doghead on 03-19-2000 09:43 AM
The next day, my brother-in-law watched the videotape of the game with a stop watch. The shot was released at 4.2 seconds (and it definitely was a 3-point basket).

With your 4.2 second "count", you need to take a few things into account.

(1) The tape may not have been played back at exactly the same speed as it was recorded. That's why the officials need to look at a clock displayed on the videotape with a review.

(2) Let's say the timer did start the clock. 2/10 of a second is a very good reaction time to stop the clock (.2 after the whistle). Assuming the timer was watching the ref's hand, you need to factor in at least 2/10 for the ref to signal, and 2/10 more to push the button to start the clock. This is all "built in" to the 8:00 for each quarter, and is inside the limits.

Old Mon Mar 20, 2000, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

"(2) This was a backcourt throw-in, so the trail should have had at least part of a ten-second count, which can be taken off of the clock."

Well, with only 4 seconds left, most guys wouldn't be counting for the 10-second count.

"If there was no count whatsoever, then the score is tied 58-58, and team A gets to inbound the ball with 4.0 seconds left in the game."

I don't see how you could both COUNT the basket after the ball had been dribbled up court for at least 3 seconds (or more), PLUS inbound the ball with a full 4 seconds again. That simply doesn't make sense. You'd HAVE TO take at least some time off.

"Anyway, here's how it ended. The shot was counted good for two points which tied the game. The referee said that he had counted 4 seconds off in his head, so they played a second overtime period."

I think that was the right way to end it. Even if the ref wasn't really counting, it was best to SAY he had the count, the bucket was good, and go to OT. Of course, someone apparently missed his assignment to watch the last second shot (as far as where the feet started), but that's a different issue.

[This message has been edited by Todd VandenAkker (edited March 20, 2000).]
Old Wed Mar 22, 2000, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

This same situation happened to me in a tournament game. 2.5 seconds on the clock and Team A, down 2, inbounds the ball on the baseline of their backcourt. A-1 inbounds to A-2 at about the free-throw line in the backcourt. A-2 grabs the ball runs about 60 feet, pulls up from the 3-point line, sets feet, and lets go. I am the lead official on the play. I fail to look at the clock, but as mentioned, I start a mental clock. After about 3.5/4 seconds, the player is pulling up, about to shoot. At that moment, I take a quick glance at the clock, which still reads 2.5, and promptly blow my whistle and end the game. As I "promptly" (lol) blow my whistle, the ball is being released and eventually goes in. As it goes in, I am already waving it off saying ballgame.

I used my best judgment. It wasn't even close. Fans of Team A did not agree... but coaches of both teams did. I know 1.5/2 seconds doesn't seem like a long time. But when there is only 2+ seconds left, it is an eternity, and everyone knew he waited too long.

The game ended right then and there with most everyone happy.... and the timer was hung at center court.

------------------
============================
Zachary "Chunk" McCrite
Indiana High School Official