View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 22, 2000, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

This same situation happened to me in a tournament game. 2.5 seconds on the clock and Team A, down 2, inbounds the ball on the baseline of their backcourt. A-1 inbounds to A-2 at about the free-throw line in the backcourt. A-2 grabs the ball runs about 60 feet, pulls up from the 3-point line, sets feet, and lets go. I am the lead official on the play. I fail to look at the clock, but as mentioned, I start a mental clock. After about 3.5/4 seconds, the player is pulling up, about to shoot. At that moment, I take a quick glance at the clock, which still reads 2.5, and promptly blow my whistle and end the game. As I "promptly" (lol) blow my whistle, the ball is being released and eventually goes in. As it goes in, I am already waving it off saying ballgame.

I used my best judgment. It wasn't even close. Fans of Team A did not agree... but coaches of both teams did. I know 1.5/2 seconds doesn't seem like a long time. But when there is only 2+ seconds left, it is an eternity, and everyone knew he waited too long.

The game ended right then and there with most everyone happy.... and the timer was hung at center court.

------------------
============================
Zachary "Chunk" McCrite
Indiana High School Official