The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Just like Rufus...

I'd like to say that I am a little bummed with the end of the season... I have finished my basketball season for the 2009-10 year with another (2nd for the year) Varsity game. It was a good game, with somewhat of a semi-high intensity level. Home team won by about 6 or 7, and it was mostly a 10 point game through the night. If the home team hadn't won last night to get a good spot in the league and district playoff, I have no doubt that the game tonight would have been more intensified.

To add to this thread, I'd like to apologize to all for my cockiness and attitude I may have presented myself with. To be honest, I have learned a lot this year by joining this forum. Knowledge is power, I've always been told, and I hope to continue learning via this forum in the future. Hope all of you have a great end to your season as I had tonight. All that's left for me is a few weeks of biddy games before I kick it into the soccer season... Thanks to all who have made learning via this forum possible!
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

actually....knowledge = confidence, ignorance = fear.....

put another way...when you are knowledgable about the rules, mechanics, and how to handle virtually anything that happens in a game - then you will confidently work the game and be in control. a large amount of officials are not sure about specific rules or how to handle specific situations/plays and therefore are fearful of making a call....
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:42pm
This IS My Social Life

What's Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
I'd like to say that I am a little bummed with the end of the season... I have finished my basketball season for the 2009-10 year with another (2nd for the year) Varsity game. It was a good game, with somewhat of a semi-high intensity level. Home team won by about 6 or 7, and it was mostly a 10 point game through the night. If the home team hadn't won last night to get a good spot in the league and district playoff, I have no doubt that the game tonight would have been more intensified.

To add to this thread, I'd like to apologize to all for my cockiness and attitude I may have presented myself with. To be honest, I have learned a lot this year by joining this forum. Knowledge is power, I've always been told, and I hope to continue learning via this forum in the future. Hope all of you have a great end to your season as I had tonight. All that's left for me is a few weeks of biddy games before I kick it into the soccer season... Thanks to all who have made learning via this forum possible!
Which begs the question, "What's next for you?"
My season doesn't end for a couple of weeks yet, but I'm already looking forward to a good experience at a summer officiating camp.
If you're not registered for a good one in your area, get registered.
Nothing like a good camp experience to serve as a springboard into the seeming distant upcoming year!
Knowledge is confidence. Great to be growing together with you and the others on this board.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 10:57pm
#thereferee99

Someone more learned than me will point out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Which begs the question, "What's next for you?"
.... that "begging the question" means something else.
4.87 to be exact.
"Any form of argument in which the conclusion occurs as one of the premisses, or a chain of arguments in which the final conclusion is a premiss of one of the earlier arguments in the chain. More generally, an argument begs the question when it assumes any controversial point not conceded by the other side."
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:15pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
.... that "begging the question" means something else.
4.87 to be exact.
"Any form of argument in which the conclusion occurs as one of the premisses, or a chain of arguments in which the final conclusion is a premiss of one of the earlier arguments in the chain. More generally, an argument begs the question when it assumes any controversial point not conceded by the other side."
Your post was entitled, "Someone more learned than me . . .".
Proper grammar is, "Someone more learned than I . . .".

I'll stand corrected if you'll stand corrected.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 07:29am
Esteemed Forum Member

Isn't It ...

... me'll stand corrected?

Quote:
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Your post was entitled, "Someone more learned than me . . .".
Proper grammar is, "Someone more learned than I . . .".

Maybe it was a self-fulfilling prophecy...

Beg The Question // Get it right.