The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Ed T. Rush's probasketballreferee.com [Banner up top]

Has anyone purchased the Ed T. Rush's probasketballreferee.com program? It is VERY expensive but was wondering if anyone has purchased it and is it worth it? I know it is 600$ but if it can sharpen my skills to get me to the college level it would be well worth it.

Any suggestions?
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a member (as I know several others on this forum are) and personally it was the best decision I've ever made. It has taught me an incredible amount of information, Ed Rush's mentorship has been beyond invaluable and I feel like they are always improving things to make us be able to harness the network that the court club encompasses of officials all over the country.

I've been a member over a year but they used to bill in monthly increments so it was only a game fee a month basically. I don't know how to be more enthusiastic without sounding like a shill but I really am thrilled with my experience.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'm very excited to get this program. I will be ordering it within the week.

Just curious bw, do you do college ball as well as high school?
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Right now I do mostly Pro-AM in NYC and some High School. Thinking about doing a college camp this summer - just don't know which. I've only been a member a year so not expecting miracles but if you were to watch a video of me a year ago and a video today, they aren't even recognizable as the same guy... even losing 35 pounds after hearing the importance of passing the "eye test" (you'll find out soon enough!)

Enjoy! I am not sure exactly but mention my name and I think I get an extra CD for free or something hah :-)
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, and if there is any place to put a referall I will be sure to list you!

Anyone elses input on the program? I just want to hear what everyone has to say!

Thanks
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have been thinking about buying it myself now for a few months. However, being a recent college grad and can't find a job yet, I'm just not able to purchase it yet. Hopefully this summer I will find a job after my internship and then I will purchase it.

I have actually been swapping emails with Ed Rush himself, and he seems to be a very good guy. He tells me he doesn't make any money off of this program. Whatever extra comes after paying employees every month, he writes a check to Blow the Whistle on Cancer or some organization like that.
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
I did not purchase Ed's course, but I did look over the information from a friend who DID purchase it. I was not impressed at all with the course. The bottom line is there are no secrets or shortcuts to becoming a great referee. When it comes down to it the only thing that matters is how hard you're willing to work and are you teachable.

I personally cannot justify spending the money to pay someone to tell me the same things that a camp clinician or supervisor could tell me in person, AND if getting this information at camp, then you are working on getting hired. If you're using this program your blowing money paying someone who has no bearing on ever getting you a job. My advice is take the money and go to camp where you're going to be seen and network.

Just my $.02 guys...
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH View Post
I did not purchase Ed's course, but I did look over the information from a friend who DID purchase it. I was not impressed at all with the course. The bottom line is there are no secrets or shortcuts to becoming a great referee. When it comes down to it the only thing that matters is how hard you're willing to work and are you teachable.

I personally cannot justify spending the money to pay someone to tell me the same things that a camp clinician or supervisor could tell me in person, AND if getting this information at camp, then you are working on getting hired. If you're using this program your blowing money paying someone who has no bearing on ever getting you a job. My advice is take the money and go to camp where you're going to be seen and network.

Just my $.02 guys...
I looked at the advertising, and signed up for a free trial thing -- it was three or four e-mails and a "conference call" arrangement which I didn't do. It didn't look to me to be worth the money, although I could have been wrong. It just seemed like the same-old, same-old.

I made the same judgment as CLH; camp would be a better investment.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Sure you have to work hard, go to camps, etc. etc. But the problem with that approach is that names, not competence, get you in certain doors.

The competence is handy for sticking around once you're through the door.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure it's a good service, but $600.00? That's alot of camps with on the floor training, not to mention contacts and being seen.

To each their own, If you feel it's worth it, then it is.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Sure you have to work hard, go to camps, etc. etc. But the problem with that approach is that names, not competence, get you in certain doors.
What exactly are you saying? Are you saying that buying Ed Rush's mentoring program equates to a name that will open doors? Is Ed going to pick up the phone and make a call or two on my behalf? Or is it just that I would be able to say, "I'm a graduate of Ed Rush's mentor program", and that would open doors for me?
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
What exactly are you saying? Are you saying that buying Ed Rush's mentoring program equates to a name that will open doors? Is Ed going to pick up the phone and make a call or two on my behalf? Or is it just that I would be able to say, "I'm a graduate of Ed Rush's mentor program", and that would open doors for me?
I have no knowledge of what doors would open as a result of the networking opportunities presented by Ed Rush's program. I was answering the question of what possible value could be had from joining that program, as opposed to going to some camps.

Whether that possible value is actual is not a question I can answer.
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I have no knowledge of what doors would open as a result of the networking opportunities presented by Ed Rush's program. I was answering the question of what possible value could be had from joining that program, as opposed to going to some camps.

Whether that possible value is actual is not a question I can answer.
Okay, I'm with you now.