The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 04:50pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

2 Man Coverage Areas

One of our CYO games was a forfeit since the opponent only had 4 players (out of a roster of 6) show up. So the gameitself was a forfeit and the teams decided to scrimmage during the time alloted for the game with the home team using one of it's 7th graders to give them 5 players.

As a reuslt, I got called into action to officiate. I was all set to do the game solor, but somebody joined in after the opening tip.

Granted, I do take pride in trying to be rules-knowledgable, but I'll admit my knowledge of mechanics stinks. As such, I do have a couple of questions:

1) In a two official game, is there a dual coverage area in the lane? I couldn't remeber and there were a couple of calls where I wasn't sure whose call it was to make so I deferred to my paretner in those cases.

2) On a front court throw in where one official is administering at the hash mark, should the other official be in the L or T position?

I know we botched a few switches when it came to free throws, but rather than make an issue out of it, I'd just reposition accordingly.

Partner did try to call a backcourt violation when the offensive team hadn't even crossed the time line Now that was unexpected.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

The lane is L's primary.

By hash mark I'm assuming you mean the 28ft line. The administering official would be the T and the other official should be L
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Drives Starting In Primary ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
The lane is L's primary.
The trail may be responsible for drives starting in trail's primary that end up in the lane.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 06:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The trail may be responsible for drives starting in trail's primary that end up in the lane.
Responsibility aside, the trail frequently has the better look at any number of things in the lane.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 06:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Responsibility aside, the trail frequently has the better look at any number of things in the lane.
Traveling by a post player is the first thing that comes to mind....
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 06:26pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmsn View Post
traveling by a post player is the first thing that comes to mind....
+5

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 06:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rebounding Fouls ...

Quote:
Like rebounding situations, especially on shots that come from the lead's side.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 14, 2010, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"over the back"
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

In my games, the paint is a dual coverage area. T has a better look at quite a few things. Traveling in the post has been mentioned. When the post player curls away from the L, the T often has the only good look. Back side contact away from the L is another. With larger players, usually the further from the baseline the harder it is for the L to get a clear look at a play in the paint. A play right in front of the L that goes vertical, that's often difficult for L to see contact up high at the same time as contact on the body. Rebounding is a primary responsibility for both officials. Weird crap that happens "in traffic" in the paint is another place where the T can usefully help out. Pass and crash is another.

IMHO the T's appropriate assistance in the paint is very valuable and should be both welcomed and encouraged.

Edited to add: When the L goes out wide to referee on-ball in his area, the L's post becomes the T's secondary. So does any must-get off-ball stuff in the lane.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 08:08pm.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 08:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Iaabo ...

Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 08:55pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
One of our CYO games was a forfeit since the opponent only had 4 players (out of a roster of 6) show up. So the gameitself was a forfeit and the teams decided to scrimmage during the time alloted for the game with the home team using one of it's 7th graders to give them 5 players.

As a reuslt, I got called into action to officiate. I was all set to do the game solor, but somebody joined in after the opening tip.

Granted, I do take pride in trying to be rules-knowledgable, but I'll admit my knowledge of mechanics stinks. As such, I do have a couple of questions:

1) In a two official game, is there a dual coverage area in the lane? I couldn't remeber and there were a couple of calls where I wasn't sure whose call it was to make so I deferred to my paretner in those cases.

2) On a front court throw in where one official is administering at the hash mark, should the other official be in the L or T position?

I know we botched a few switches when it came to free throws, but rather than make an issue out of it, I'd just reposition accordingly.

Partner did try to call a backcourt violation when the offensive team hadn't even crossed the time line Now that was unexpected.
This could get costly if they wanted to take advantage of you.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 11:58pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
This could get costly if they wanted to take advantage of you.
26:

Seeing this was a scrimmage where volunteers were needed to officiate, the coaches should be happy to get someone who at least knows the rules and wants to do the right thing in terms of positioning and such.

Granted, if I was ever going to make the transtion into officating as an avocation, I'd be studying the mechanics manuals as much as possible until it became second nature

Also, this also assumes that 6th grade girls coaches even know officials mechanics. Sometimes, getting them to know the basic rules of the game -- let alone the league specific rules -- is a challenge

###

BillyMac:

That image is very helpful. What I was envisioning as the PCAs wasn't too far off from this diagram.

###

And thanks to everyone else who offered feedback.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Wed Feb 17, 2010, 08:58am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
26:

Seeing this was a scrimmage where volunteers were needed to officiate, the coaches should be happy to get someone who at least knows the rules and wants to do the right thing in terms of positioning and such.

Granted, if I was ever going to make the transtion into officating as an avocation, I'd be studying the mechanics manuals as much as possible until it became second nature

Also, this also assumes that 6th grade girls coaches even know officials mechanics. Sometimes, getting them to know the basic rules of the game -- let alone the league specific rules -- is a challenge

###

BillyMac:

That image is very helpful. What I was envisioning as the PCAs wasn't too far off from this diagram.

###

And thanks to everyone else who offered feedback.
You missed my point completely.