The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Drunken Referree (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/57103-drunken-referree.html)

fullor30 Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 662284)
As far as being "close to home".... (you have no clue, assume as you wish) I was challenged as to how I could detect alcohol on someone's breeath.

As far as the Altar Wine.....(talk about apples and oranges, but I'll play anyway;)) I don't know where you go to mass, but I have yet to experience a Catholic Church dispensing wine via a 12oz glass for each person.... nice try...
9:00am start...... I would not have any reason to be drinking after midnight, but that's just me.

I'll leave you to your insults.......... have at it.......

"There is absolutely no reason for any official, of any sport, at any level to consume alcohol prior to working a game that day.

None................"

Dude, make up your mind.

amusedofficial Wed Feb 17, 2010 04:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus (Post 662411)
Dude, make up your mind.

Receiving communion in both species is not "consumption" of alcoholic beverages. First, the amount administered is generally less than a teaspoonful. Second, if you are a believer, you are not "consuming" an "alcoholic beverage."

Receiving "altar wine" is no more consuming alcoholic beverages than receiving the host during the sacrament of the Eucharist is having a sandwich.

Oh, and the difference is not just theological. When was the last time you saw a Catholic Church raided by the vice squad for distributing holy communion in both species without a liquor license?

Adam Wed Feb 17, 2010 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 662425)
Receiving communion in both species is not "consumption" of alcoholic beverages. First, the amount administered is generally less than a teaspoonful. Second, if you are a believer, you are not "consuming" an "alcoholic beverage."

Receiving "altar wine" is no more consuming alcoholic beverages than receiving the host during the sacrament of the Eucharist is having a sandwich.

Oh, and the difference is not just theological. When was the last time you saw a Catholic Church raided by the vice squad for distributing holy communion in both species without a liquor license?

You're assuming a very specific theology here. Not everyone who takes communion subscribes to transubstantiation.

And if the churches were selling the wine, you can bet they'd be raided.

bob jenkins Wed Feb 17, 2010 09:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 662270)
We have plenty of holiday tournaments with games starting at 9:00 am, do you have a cut off for the night before?

I use the same thing I used when I flew: 8 hours "bottle to throttle" AND blood alcohol content < .04 (iirc) (no, I don't measure that, but I don't drink heavily the night before a morning game).

fullor30 Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 662471)
I use the same thing I used when I flew: 8 hours "bottle to throttle" AND blood alcohol content < .04 (iirc) (no, I don't measure that, but I don't drink heavily the night before a morning game).

If I had two beers at 10:00 the night before and had a 9:00 AM game, sadly I'd be pooped. :)

fullor30 Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:13am

Quote:

You missed the point.

Loudwhistle Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:30am

Reffing Rev,
Check your private messages.

DLH17 Wed Feb 17, 2010 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 662293)
To you they may be unnecessary......to me, they are required and do have a smidge of value.

same here with me

BillyMac Wed Feb 17, 2010 05:48pm

Some Are, Some Aren't, There's Room For All, It's A Big Planet ...

Quote:

If you are a believer.

Jesus said unto them, “I am the bread of life: he that comes to me shall never hunger. I am that bread of life.” (John 6:35, 48)

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/nimage/154aebb2e20dcb30

Camron Rust Wed Feb 17, 2010 06:19pm

Quote:

Still, there is alcohol in the body. As far as the stance of some that there should be none before a game at all, it is the same. A silly argument for sure, but technically the same.

I don't drink so this is not an issue for me personaly. I just think those that think 1-2 beers at lunch should disqualify someone from working a game at 6pm are really only preaching thier own opposition to drinking rather than having any tangible reason for opposing it. Now, that person who had 2 drinks at lunch probably shouldn't drive for a few hours after lunch but that is a different point.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 17, 2010 06:25pm

This whole thread has gotten silly.

Bottom line, don't officiate drunk. And if a partner shows up obviously hammered, I'm guessing most of us are going to agree that a few questions should be asked/suggestions made regarding his/her going ahead with the game. It's doing nobody a favor - not you, not your drunk partner, not the kids - if you just let him/her wander his/her drunk self out there.

So, put me in the camp of saying something/doing something if someone is noticeably impaired...regardless of the reason.

asdf Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 662641)

I just think those that think 1-2 beers at lunch should disqualify someone from working a game at 6pm are really only preaching thier own opposition to drinking rather than having any tangible reason for opposing it.

Swing and a miss...

My post game doesn't get any better than a couple of Dunkels along with a dozen wings.

My tangible reason is professionalism, respect for the game, respect for others.

If a someone who works for me has an important evening presentation and he decides to make the choice of having a couple of beers for to wash down lunch that day, he's just shown me that he has no respect for me, his job, his colleagues and others involved.

He's also history.

Still waiting a list of states that endorse the practice.

JRutledge Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 662680)
Swing and a miss...

My post game doesn't get any better than a couple of Dunkels along with a dozen wings.

My tangible reason is professionalism, respect for the game, respect for others.

If a someone who works for me has an important evening presentation and he decides to make the choice of having a couple of beers for to wash down lunch that day, he's just shown me that he has no respect for me, his job, his colleagues and others involved.

He's also history.

Still waiting a list of states that endorse the practice.

I do understand your position on this. I do not personally drink much at all. I do not drink beer and going out to have a few is not my standard of a good time. But that being said, this does not relate to the topic very much. And just because you smell something does not mean someone has been drinking automatically. And it really is not just for you to make that decision. We cannot always take our professional standards into officiating. It does not always apply as many professions have very different standards.

Peace

M&M Guy Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 662680)

He's also history.

Obvious impairment is usually a good sign of a lack of respect for the job. However, according to one of our previous posters:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 662112)
Most humans process ~1/2 ounce of pure alcohol per hour. 1 shot of liquor, 1 beer, 5 oz wine each have ~1/2 ounce of alcohol. So depending on what time the drink(s) were consumed in relation to tip off time there may be absolutely no alcohol remaining in the blood stream.

Source, My Wife a full time Alcohol & Drug Counselor.

So, someone who has a couple of beers for lunch that day most likely has no alcohol in their system at the time of the evening presentation, so there is no alcohol-related impairment.

What basis are you using for your judgement of a lack of professionalism of this employee, and therefore the basis of his firing?

Adam Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by m&m guy (Post 662751)
so, someone who has a couple of beers for lunch that day most likely has no alcohol in their system at the time of the evening presentation, so there is no alcohol-related impairment.

What basis are you using for your judgement of a lack of professionalism of this employee, and therefore the basis of his firing?

+7