The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sat Feb 13, 2010, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Drunken Referree

Night off tonight...took my daughter to our local hometown game. We got there right at the end of JVB and take our seats with 20minutes on the clock until VG game. Waiting and watching to see whose working, 15 minutes on the clock, no officials, 10 minutes on the clock no officials. Finally 8 minutes until game time 3 guys I know pretty well, I've worked with 2 of them come out and get things going. Alright their behind, it happens, okay. One of the guys I know, who is a little bit of a jokster seems to be little bit more joking than usual, but I don't think anything about it, and neither do the two partners.

Well after the anthem, when the crew removes their jackets, our jokster has his shirt on backwards, and he doesn't notice. Game gets started, his calls are pretty normal, but his mechanics are awful. He can barely run and can't really walk straight. In one situation he was T and was so far out of position the point guard was running screens off of him and he didn't move. The straw that broke the back for me, midway through the first quarter hes at C and hes turned sideways talking to the cheerleaders in the front row of the bleachers. L rotates making him the new T, and we've got a fast break, he starts to walk down court such that L overruns him to take the new L.

Near the end of the quarter he turned from T to L and runs across the court stumbling and falling over. At that point the AD and school superintendant pull him out of the gym.

Here is my question, assuming you didn't pick up your partner's incapacity in pregame, at what point would you halt the game and tell him to get his backside into the locker room. And save yourself all the assignor comments, we don't have assignors in rural Nebraska, schools schedule officials directly.