The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So you are going to make someone not work because you "think" you smell something? What if the official denies it? What if you are wrong? I understand that you want to take a hard line here, but you better be right or able to prove it. Because is all you smell is something you think is alcohol and it is not alcohol, that might be a bigger problem. I agree I would be concerned, but not sure you can deny someone working just because of what you think.
Look harder..... nowhere do I mention the word "think". I am not going to take a hard line unless I detect alcohol.

Trust me..... he/she isn't working with me that night. One way or the other, the game is going to be worked with one less person than originally scheduled.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
The experienced official (with ZERO integrity) should lose his license.
Why was he at fault here? He told everyone his situation. They ASKED him.

It'd be interesting to see this actually happen in your presence. It's easy to say you're going to do something, but when it actually happens people don't always backup their statements.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post

It'd be interesting to see this actually happen in your presence. It's easy to say you're going to do something, but when it actually happens people don't always backup their statements.
I think he has other issues
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Double bullcrap?? Is your real name Spaulding?

I have a better idea, invite Gannaway to your one-beer, noon lunch and explain to him that you have a varsity game at 7:30 that night.

I'm sure he'll endorse that thinking.

Better yet, when you greet the coaches before the game, why don't you tell them that you enjoyed a cold beer at a noon lunch that day.
A little crisp today are we? I'm guessing there are or have been incidents close to home involving alcohol with you.

Regarding your zero tolerance, I went to Mass Sunday morning receiving the sacrament of Holy Communion which included Altar wine, I then (shudder) did a few kids games a few hours later.

I've heard Gannaway enjoys veal in a wine sauce or beer cheese soup, but you'd put a stop to that one.

If you're not involved in that cult down in Texas, you really should be on the United pilots forum, can you get me one of those spiffy captain's wings badges?

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 01:55pm.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post

First..... who cares if they asked him. ( I do find it odd that he's got his gear with him)

He should have told them NO !!! The game could have gone on with 4.

Second.....

I hope I am never put in this situation. However, if I am, I guarantee you that I am handling things as previously stated.

FYI.... in case you haven't figured it out by now, I could care less what people think of me. I am who I am.

Straight forward, blunt, honest. You don't like it.... tough.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
A little crisp today are we? I'm guessing there are or have been incidents close to home involving alcohol with you.

Regarding your zero tolerance, I went to Mass Sunday morning receiving the sacrament of Holy Communion which included Altar wine, I then (shudder) did a few kids games a few hours later.

I've heard Gannaway enjoys veal in a wine sauce or beer cheese soup, but you'd put a stop to that one.

If you're not involved in that cult down in Texas, you really should be on the United pilots forum, can you get me one of those spiffy captain's wings badges?
Classic, instead of answering why you would not tell the HC that you had a beer at lunch prior to his game, you try to insult me..... Weak.....

Then again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Really happened to me, I was scheduled to do a Lacrosse game late afternoon and had a business lunch that started late. I had a beer with lunch and was worried it was on my breath. I stopped at CVS and was pressed for time, grabbed a small travel bottle of mouth wash and took a shot as I got back into car, problem was it was hand sanitizer...........WOW!!!! My mouth lit up like three mile island

Looks to me like you can't make up your mind.....

If it's no problem having a beer, why were you worried about the beer being on your breath?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 06:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Works for all situations....... No game is that important to have this guy working.

The school official(s) that agreed to this should be fired.

The experienced official (with ZERO integrity) should lose his license.
Where do you get off saying he has zero integrity. I do not think that means what you think it means.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 06:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Look harder..... nowhere do I mention the word "think". I am not going to take a hard line unless I detect alcohol.

Trust me..... he/she isn't working with me that night. One way or the other, the game is going to be worked with one less person than originally scheduled.
Just how do you think you're going to detect it? Do you have a breathalyzer in your bag? The smell can be meaningless, frankly, as many things can mimic the odor of alcohol. Even on the road it only provides probable cause for the cops to search further.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First..... who cares if they asked him. ( I do find it odd that he's got his gear with him)

He should have told them NO !!! The game could have gone on with 4.

Second.....

I hope I am never put in this situation. However, if I am, I guarantee you that I am handling things as previously stated.

FYI.... in case you haven't figured it out by now, I could care less what people think of me. I am who I am.

Straight forward, blunt, honest. You don't like it.... tough.
As much as I'm against working with a detectably "drunk" partner. I disagree with you here. A drink, or even two, a couple of hours before the game (as it seems was the case) will have largely worn off by the game time. I have no problem with this guy working. He even had the wherewithal to bring up the issue and leave it in the hands of those in charge.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 08:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
As much as I'm against working with a detectably "drunk" partner. I disagree with you here. A drink, or even two, a couple of hours before the game (as it seems was the case) will have largely worn off by the game time. I have no problem with this guy working. He even had the wherewithal to bring up the issue and leave it in the hands of those in charge.
Drunk is a broad term. For many people, a drink, or even two, would have little or no effect to wear off. They could have two beers on the way to the game and nobody would know the difference.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Most humans process ~1/2 ounce of pure alcohol per hour. 1 shot of liquor, 1 beer, 5 oz wine each have ~1/2 ounce of alcohol. So depending on what time the drink(s) were consumed in relation to tip off time there may be absolutely no alcohol remaining in the blood stream.

Source, My Wife a full time Alcohol & Drug Counselor.
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Classic, instead of answering why you would not tell the HC that you had a beer at lunch prior to his game, you try to insult me..... Weak.....

Then again....

Looks to me like you can't make up your mind.....

If it's no problem having a beer, why were you worried about the beer being on your breath?

Are you daft? Why would I tell anyone what I had for lunch?

Correct, there is no problem having a beer for lunch prior to a later game. The problem is having alcohol on your breath.

Why is that a problem for you to comprehend?

For the record, I rarely have an alcoholic drink at lunch as it makes me sleepy.

Question...........what's your time frame on having a beer prior to a game?
Old Mon Feb 15, 2010, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref2coach View Post
Most humans process ~1/2 ounce of pure alcohol per hour. 1 shot of liquor, 1 beer, 5 oz wine each have ~1/2 ounce of alcohol. So depending on what time the drink(s) were consumed in relation to tip off time there may be absolutely no alcohol remaining in the blood stream.

Source, My Wife a full time Alcohol & Drug Counselor.

I'm sure that's not going to fly with Mr Carry Nations
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Drunk is a broad term. For many people, a drink, or even two, would have little or no effect to wear off. They could have two beers on the way to the game and nobody would know the difference.
That is why I said "detectably drunk".

If someone else can tell they've been drinking, they've clearly had too much to be working a game.

They may have had too much to be working with a level less than "detectably drunk", but that is a different point.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 11:47am.
Old Tue Feb 16, 2010, 06:17am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Interesting and Timely Thread for Me......

Last Friday (VB) I worked with a very senior official. During pre-game/post-game we talked about a great many subjects. He asked me about my year, about my upcoming games/partners, etc.

When I told him about my Sunday, 11th/12th Grade Rec schedule, he told me to let him know if my partner had been drinking as it was "noticed" last time they were together. He said to watch and see if he's chewing a lot of gum.

Sunday roles around, 1230 game, my P is there....and he's chewing gum. The smell of alcohol was "barely noiticeable to me" and, IMO, didn't affect his game. If I wasn't told to be on the lookout for it, I wouldn't have noticed and would have thought the barely detectable odor was mouthwash.

I didn't say anything and don't intend to.

To be quite honest, this official is very senior to me and if there was an issue, I'm not quite sure what I personally would have done.