The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 20, 2000, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Hi everyone,

In the Temple-Seton Hall game, Pepe Sanchez was given his third foul. By his reaction, he felt that it was not a foul. The commentator complimented the ref for a fine call. I think that Pepe was correct.

The offensive ball handler (I forgot the name of the player) had the ball just above the foul line. Sanchez clearly had an initial guarding position. The ball handler tried to dribble to Sanchez's left and Sanchez moved backwards and to the left to cut off the dribbler. Contact was made on Sanchez's chest. Call was blocking, but I can't see why this was made.

IMHO, this was an example of good defence. I hate to see the defence punished for playing well.

Did anyone else see/recall the play?

Cheers,
David

------------------
Old Mon Mar 20, 2000, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

can't recall the play. I don't have a problem, if it was the officials primary. I saw some bad calls this weekend. The ones i didn't like were phantom calls because he was out of position and guessed. And the bad calls that where out of their primary. I saw the trail make a foul call in front court, in front of the center. And it wasn't a foul. I don't understand, because i see this official on TV a lot and he makes bad or at lease boarder line calls out of his area all the time. I think because he is an older guy and he blows his whistle alot and is dramatic about the calls that the coaches like him.
Old Tue Mar 21, 2000, 12:09pm
In Memoriam

Question

quote:
Originally posted by David Clausi on 03-20-2000 01:56 PM
Hi everyone,

In the Temple-Seton Hall game, Pepe Sanchez was given his third foul. By his reaction, he felt that it was not a foul. The commentator complimented the ref for a fine call. I think that Pepe was correct.

The offensive ball handler (I forgot the name of the player) had the ball just above the foul line. Sanchez clearly had an initial guarding position. The ball handler tried to dribble to Sanchez's left and Sanchez moved backwards and to the left to cut off the dribbler. Contact was made on Sanchez's chest. Call was blocking, but I can't see why this was made.

IMHO, this was an example of good defence. I hate to see the defence punished for playing well.

Did anyone else see/recall the play?

Cheers,
David

David,
Yeah, I saw that play and had it called the way you called it. In the Officials defense, he definitely had a better angle than I did.
mick