The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

A little bummed

Just finished my last games of the season tonight (2 varsity). I'm in that transition between sub-varsity and varsity and have to say that all of my varsity assignments this year have been great. Good partners, helpful feedback, and games in which to work on different aspects of officiating (from game management to squeekers).

Then tonight. I'm lead with 4 seconds left in a tie game. H1 starts her drive from the 3-point line and I've got her from that point, to where she crossed in front of me, to when she went into the lane. Then she tried a reverse layup and I wasn't ready. Thought there was contact as the defense came over for the block and there was not (slot passed on it). Sinks one FT, game over.

The boy's game was physical with no flow. I passed on calls I should of made (and my partners sometimes did), made calls that upon reflection I didn't feel should be made, and started listening to comments from the crowd (instead of just hearing, and ignoring, them).

Two lessons I learned (well, re-learned) tonight:
  1. Slow whistle - don't think you've got a call, know you've got a call especially with the game on the line. I've had this in fits and starts this year but have not been able to consistently watch the play through, then call it if it happens.
  2. Get over it - The whole time in the boy's game I'm thinking the same thing I tell the kids I coach in baseball - "You can't do anything about what just happened, but you can do something about right now". It helped get me through what I felt was a rough game on my part.

I'm going to get over tonight and hopefully learn something from it. I want to attend my first camp this summer and will come back stronger next season. Didn't want it to end this way but it is what it is.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 09:51pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post

I'm going to get over tonight and hopefully learn something from it. I want to attend my first camp this summer and will come back stronger next season. Didn't want it to end this way but it is what it is.
You did learn from it. That's obvious from your post.

It's part of the maturation process of any official. We all went through it. You sureasheck have got the right attitude anyway, Rufus. No doubt in my mind that you WILL be back stronger than ever next year.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just finished my last games of the season tonight (2 varsity). I'm in that transition between sub-varsity and varsity and have to say that all of my varsity assignments this year have been great. Good partners, helpful feedback, and games in which to work on different aspects of officiating (from game management to squeekers).

Then tonight. I'm lead with 4 seconds left in a tie game. H1 starts her drive from the 3-point line and I've got her from that point, to where she crossed in front of me, to when she went into the lane. Then she tried a reverse layup and I wasn't ready. Thought there was contact as the defense came over for the block and there was not (slot passed on it). Sinks one FT, game over.

The boy's game was physical with no flow. I passed on calls I should of made (and my partners sometimes did), made calls that upon reflection I didn't feel should be made, and started listening to comments from the crowd (instead of just hearing, and ignoring, them).

1. Slow whistle - don't think you've got a call, know you've got a call especially with the game on the line. I've had this in fits and starts this year but have not been able to consistently watch the play through, then call it if it happens.
  2. Get over it - The whole time in the boy's game I'm thinking the same thing I tell the kids I coach in baseball - "You can't do anything about what just happened, but you can do something about right now". It helped get me through what I felt was a rough game on my part.

Eh, we all kick a call sometimes. Did either team need this win to get into playoffs?

Slow whistle has helped me greatly. I was a soccer official first before becoming basketball, and I felt this was helpful with regards to the whistle. In soccer we can have a delayed whistle because we have the advantage ("play on") rule so if a foul was committed but the player can still keep going for a chance at goal or to make a play happen, you play on as if the foul never happened.

And you'll get over it soon. I used to dwell on games for days, thinking I really f*cked things up, but I've learned to leave that at the gym. You can't go back to change it anymore.

Congrats on your Sub-varsity to Varsity transition. I'm doing that now myself.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:24pm
This IS My Social Life

Cut It Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
. . . I really f*cked things up, but I've learned . . .

Apparently something you have not learned is that no one around here really appreciates your language, in spite of the asterisks. This tells us all something about you, and it doesn't reflect well on you as an official. You always say how you want to get better, how you're learning. Clean up your posts and learn to communicate as a professional, or you're going nowhere.
Just stop it.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 10:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

Apparently something you have not learned is that no one around here really appreciates your language, in spite of the asterisks. This tells us all something about you, and it doesn't reflect well on you as an official. You always say how you want to get better, how you're learning. Clean up your posts and learn to communicate as a professional, or you're going nowhere.
Just stop it.
Freddy relax. Not everyone is offended and if that offends you then you must be offended when guys tell stories or go to the bar. Calm down, if you do not like the post do not read it.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post

Just stop it.
Are you speaking for everyone? I highly doubt it.

If my "asterisk language" offends anyone, then I apologize. I thought this was a place I could sit back, relax and debate about things in a casual setting. Didn't know it was very professional here.

Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

If my "asterisk language" offends anyone, then I apologize. I thought this was a place I could sit back, relax and debate about things in a casual setting. Didn't know it was very professional here.

It really doesn't offend me, but tells me alot about you.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
It really doesn't offend me, but tells me alot about you.
Exactly.

A quote I've long believed in...

"Profanity is the attempt of a lazy and feeble mind to express itself forcefully."
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You can't relax without using foul language?

Rita
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Welcome to growing up in a Naval Household & aboard ship!!!!

Try watching the unedited version of the movie "Robocop" & playing a drinking game where whenever a colorful metaphor (asterik language) is used you down a shot.

Concerning the OP, at least still wanting & willing to learn.

Like I learned, I'll just let loose balls be from now on LMAO
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Like JR commented, you have the right attitude. To improve, you first must be honest with yourself and recognize your mistakes (which you have) and take real actions to make adjustments.

I certainly know where you are coming from and have been in similar situations and have walked away bummed out. These things happen. The key to success is learning from them and actively making adjustments.

Remember, experience comes from experiences.
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 06:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like This ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Welcome to growing up in a Naval Household & aboard ship!!!!
YouTube - In the Navy
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Calm down, if you do not like the post do not read it.
How do you know you like a post or not until after you read it??
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

The username?
Old Wed Feb 10, 2010, 07:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Don't Get Me Started About Images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordwilkins View Post
The username?
bradfordwilkins: Like BillyMac? You really should read my posts. Many of them, alright, some of them, OK, a few of them, can be quite educational and fun, alright, only educational, OK, I'm a pretty good speller, most of the time, OK, sometimes. Man, my honesty always causes me problems.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 10, 2010 at 07:55pm.