The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Player on floor legal guarding position

We had a situation a few weeks ago in a boy's JV game. After reading the thread on LGP while on the floor I'm not sure we got it correct (anymore).

A1 is bringing the ball up-court in transition being guarded by B1. A2 (slipped I believe [I don't really recall how he got there]) and was laying on the floor in a prone position. A1 dribbles across the court and B1 is screened accidentally by A2.

My partner called a team control foul on A2 (which I 100% agreed with at the time). Is it possibly legal to screen someone legally while you're in a prone position on the floor?

-Josh
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

in a word...

no
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

What do you mean he was "screened"?
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

There is an entire thread about a player laying on the board right now.

If A2 fell and was laying still, and B2 had time and distance to avoid him after he got there (important part of the screening principle), then A2 can't be responsible for the contact.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 05:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
We had a situation a few weeks ago in a boy's JV game. After reading the thread on LGP while on the floor I'm not sure we got it correct (anymore).

A1 is bringing the ball up-court in transition being guarded by B1. A2 (slipped I believe [I don't really recall how he got there]) and was laying on the floor in a prone position. A1 dribbles across the court and B1 is screened accidentally by A2.

My partner called a team control foul on A2 (which I 100% agreed with at the time). Is it possibly legal to screen someone legally while you're in a prone position on the floor?
Nope, but A2 wasn't screening anybody anyway by rule so that's completely irrelevant to what the call should be.

A2 had a legal position while lying on the floor under rule 4-23-1. If B1 then contacts A1, you can either no-call it for incidental contact or in the unlikely case where you think that B1 got some kind of advantage out of it, call a foul on B1. What you don't have is any kind of illegal act being made by A1 under the rules and therefore a foul shouldn't be called on him.

The only way that you could possibly call a foul on A2 would be if A2 fell down behind B1 and B1 immediately backed up and fell over A2. That doesn't sound like what you described above though.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 05:58pm.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
There is an entire thread about a player laying on the board right now.

If A2 fell and was laying still, and B2 had time and distance to avoid him after he got there (important part of the screening principle), then A2 can't be responsible for the contact.
I know there is an entire thread but I didn't want to hijack it with a specific case. It just gets too confusing. Hence the title with "RE:" attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Nope, but A2 wasn't screening anybody anyway by rule so that's completely irrelevant to what the call should be.

A2 had a legal position while lying on the floor under rule 4-23-1. If B1 then contacts A1, you can either no-call it for incidental contact or in the unlikely case where you think that B1 got some kind of advantage out of it, call a foul on B1. What you don't have is any kind of illegal act being made by A1 under the rules and therefore a foul shouldn't be called on him.

The only way that you could possibly call a foul on A2 would be if A2 fell down behind B1 and B1 immediately backed up and fell over A2. That doesn't sound like what you described above though.
There was time and distance between B1 and A2. It was quite a horrific sight since B1 went tripped and when head over heals onto the floor. But you're saying as long as time or distance is given, a prone player can legally be tripped over without a foul being charged to them. I guess I have trouble understanding that

-Josh

Last edited by jdmara; Tue Feb 09, 2010 at 06:06pm.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 06:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
There was time and distance between B1 and A2.

But you're saying as long as time or distance is given, a prone player can legally be tripped over without a foul being charged to them.
Yes.

There's nothing in the rules that I know of that says that A2 is committing an illegal act of any kind.
Old Tue Feb 09, 2010, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, thanks

-Josh