The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 10:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow I thought I did a lot of games.

Had a 7th grade girls game early this afternoon. My partner asked me how many games I was going to work over the President's Day holiday. I told him. Then he told me he has 27 games in the three days plus 4 on the previous Friday night. That's 31 games in four days, an average of just under 8 games a day. He's a younger guy, I would guess in his early 20s. He said he usually works all seven days each week during the season for at least four different assignors. All his games are rec games. Man - I even think that's a lot.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 06:57am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Man - I even think that's a lot.
That's because it is! Wow!
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Is his name Steve Welmer, Jr.?

Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Too many...how good can any official be working at ANY level during games 6-7-8 in one day. This is not a smart practice. I have seen guys in our area do this during Summer Tournaments and it looks horrible...they are walking up and down the court during game 1 trying to keep something in the tank for game 8.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 02:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
Too many...how good can any official be working at ANY level during games 6-7-8 in one day. This is not a smart practice. I have seen guys in our area do this during Summer Tournaments and it looks horrible...they are walking up and down the court during game 1 trying to keep something in the tank for game 8.
Two things in his favor - most of his games will be 5th, 6th and 7th grade (a few 8th grade) and the courts are MS size or even smaller (with only a few exceptions of working on a HS court). Still - it's a boatload of games.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

This is a pet peeve of mine - guys who think they can work 6+ games in a day and be effective. No one can do it. I hate working with guys who are working their 4th, 5th, and 6th games of the day. They dog it and show clear signs of not giving a crap. I don't care how young you are - you're not going to be sharp in game 6. Then the assigner will almost always have to send out an email telling people they need to hustle and not walk. Then I tell the assigner don't assign anyone 6 in a row. And the assigner gives a sob story about so-and-so not having a job, they need the money, yada yada. Ok then, don't b!tch when they walk up the court. Can't have it both ways.

End of rant.