The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 02:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I agree...I would just go up to the coach and let them know what is going on and explain to them it might be a technical next time. Usually does the trick.
I agree completely, but I have no problem with someone going directly to a T when the action endangers other players (flopping in the lane, for example.)
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

warning is the way to go here. This is jv ball correct? These kids have trouble remembering thier own names when they play much less some obscure rule. I'm sure you HTBT but this sounds a little over the top for me. If you had warned her a time or two before that would be different.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
warning is the way to go here. This is jv ball correct? These kids have trouble remembering thier own names when they play much less some obscure rule. I'm sure you HTBT but this sounds a little over the top for me. If you had warned her a time or two before that would be different.

I'm all for warning on this, but never twice.
If you warn once, they usually stop. If they don't, and you warn again, they'll do it a third time; guaranteed.

And again, I'll never fault an official for taking care of business just because they skipped a warning that isn't required by rule.
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:43pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
warning is the way to go here...
Where does the rule book say anything about issuing a warning? The rule, as correctly applied by Juulie, is put there for a reason. If she felt the situation necessitated a T, then my bet is that it was warranted.

I can't agree with those here that support a warning, or HTBT... I don't know Juulie or her experience level but if she's working HS ball in her state, that tells me she's qualified to make the call. She knows the rule. Applied the rule. Why all the second guessing???
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 03:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Where does the rule book say anything about issuing a warning? The rule, as correctly applied by Juulie, is put there for a reason. If she felt the situation necessitated a T, then my bet is that it was warranted.

I can't agree with those here that support a warning, or HTBT... I don't know Juulie or her experience level but if she's working HS ball in her state, that tells me she's qualified to make the call. She knows the rule. Applied the rule. Why all the second guessing???
If someone came on here and said, "Early in the first quarter, the head coach was a foot out of the coaching box coaching his player. I immediately issued a technical foul," would there be second guessing?
Old Mon Feb 08, 2010, 04:17pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
If someone came on here and said, "Early in the first quarter, the head coach was a foot out of the coaching box coaching his player. I immediately issued a technical foul," would there be second guessing?
Not if the author presented their justification as in Juulie's OP. I guess my point is that I just accept that most people that post here know what they're doing, unless they're asking for advice or answers.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Mon Feb 08, 2010 at 05:05pm. Reason: Added words in italics after reading another thread.