The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
I may be opening a huge can of verbal "whoop ***", but I hope none of you ever tell a coach literally to "shut up". I realize coaches (including me) deserve it, but like police officers, you are held to a higher standard. People aren't surprised when coaches "go off", but there are consequences to our actions.

Telling a coach to shut up, in my mind, is much more personal than giving the coach a T. If you're that fed up with the coach, ring him up.

Telling a coach to shut up is confrontational. Giving a T is doing your job.

I was told, loudly, one time, by a ref, "Why don't you shut up?" I did the only thing a self-respecting, egotistical person would do. I replied, "Why don't you?" I then gathered my stuff and left the bench - under orders from the referee, of course. Hey, I'm not saying I didn't deserve it. I'm just saying, the referee shouldn't lower him(her)self to that level. Tough, I know. Just ask a police officer.

I don't think you'll get an argument from anyone here.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Just a comment on issuing warnings. As others have said, if you can handle it with a warning do it. The more experience you get, you will see different extremes of behavior and know that some things cross an obvious line and you must respond with the T - no warning. As you get more experience in thinking this way, you can probably develop your own list of what crosses your line. If it is really long, you may want to move the line. But generally, it has to be right for you.

If the behavior doesn't cross your line but is beginning to push your buttons, you need to give the warning. Unless your reffing experiences are way outside the norm, you will end up giving far more warnings than Ts and you will be "calling what is obvious." It makes the game better for all.
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 03:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

When you roll the dice.............

you might just crap out.

Both officials and coaches need to understand what offends one official will not offend another. And no matter what another official does or thinks, might not apply to another official. So when a coach complains or says "well other officials let me do that," they are wrong. I know we have had many disagreements about profanity, comments or gestures but in the end each individual official has to decide what is acceptable. And no differnet then your view about obsenity, it might depend on the community or area in which you officiate. I know that in my area what is acceptable in the city is not acceptable or necessarily acceptable in the suburbs and vise versa. No matter what that line is, develop it and stay as consistent as possible. We owe the coaches and players that much.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 01, 2002, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stripes
QUOTE]Originally posted by zebraman
I'd like to put together a presentation for our refs on criteria for when a technical foul is warranted and make the game better (and when it isn't and other actions will help). While I realize that it is an art that some refs will never learn, there must be some words I can express to try to help these guys out.

Things like, "only call a T when you think it will make the game better" seem like cliches, but I do think that they might make the lightbulb go on for a few of these guys. Can you others kick in some insightful words of wisdom for me?}

Thanks in advance,

Z QUOTE]

There are a few automatics--getting personal, my wife, my mother, my kids, loud swearing, throwing clipboards, being overly demonstrative, calling you a cheater, walking on the court, yelling at you outside the box, etc.

Some other things that must be considered--is the coach trying to embarrass you? Will he drop something that has been discussed? Is he distracting you? Has the coach been warned? These issues need to be dealt with.

1. If a coach has been warned and continues--get him.
2. If a coach won't drop something--warn him, if it continues, see #1.
3. If a coach is embarrassing you-if you can tell him to stop and he will, fine. If it is bad enough--get him.

I believe that we must know where the "line in the sand" is and if a coach steps over it, we have to get them. If we don't take care of business, we have no credibility with them. Most coaches (with a clue) know that they deserve T's when they get them and they know when they deserve it and don't get it. We don't need to look for T's, but if the situation warrants it, we have to call it--really it is no different than any other call. If the paramenters for the call are met, we have to blow.

Very well put, Stripes.
QUOTE]

[Edited by Ralph Stubenthal on Sep 3rd, 2002 at 11:26 AM]
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

How to avoid giving me a T

All I need to calm me down is an acknowledgement from the officials that I've been heard. A quick "I didn't see that" or an "I called what I saw" usually does the trick. If I'm saying something to the officials, it's because I saw something they must not have, and I want them to be aware of it.
Old Tue Sep 03, 2002, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Re: How to avoid giving me a T

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
All I need to calm me down is an acknowledgement from the officials that I've been heard. A quick "I didn't see that" or an "I called what I saw" usually does the trick. If I'm saying something to the officials, it's because I saw something they must not have, and I want them to be aware of it.
I understand what you're getting at, but I'm weary of saying "I didn't see that." In some situations it could imply to a coach that you weren't looking at the play. I think it's better for all involved for the ref to say "I didn't see it that way, coach."
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: How to avoid giving me a T

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
All due respect, what it sounds like you're saying is: "if I feel you're ignoring me, I'm going to get in your face and earn a T."

I don't like giving technicals. Nevertheless, the topic of your post suggests that it's my job to worry about how not to give you a T. In reality, it's the other way around: It's your job to conduct yourself respectfully. A technical given to a coach is indeed "part of the game," but the ones we've been discussing here are more specifically technical fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct. I don't like that you predicate your sportsmanship upon an official's response to your ultimatum.

Nonetheless, I agree that it is helpful to respond more often than not. If an official doesn't respond, however, I don't think that justifies unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 02:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up Re: Re: How to avoid giving me a T

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeT

Nonetheless, I agree that it is helpful to respond more often than not. If an official doesn't respond, however, I don't think that justifies unsportsmanlike conduct.
I completely agree JoeT. Just because an official does not respond does not mean a coach should go off because of it. An official might not respond to not seem confrontational or to put fuel on the fire so to speak. An official might be more concerned with the game and does not have an opportunity to respond.

The bottom line the coaches should behave properly regardless of what an official says or does not say.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb I agree also...

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

I completely agree JoeT. Just because an official does not respond does not mean a coach should go off because of it. An official might not respond to not seem confrontational or to put fuel on the fire so to speak. An official might be more concerned with the game and does not have an opportunity to respond.

The bottom line the coaches should behave properly regardless of what an official says or does not say.

Peace
Rut,
...But I don't think PA Coach was saying that he'd get worse if we were too busy.
I thought he was saying he would get better, if we at least grunted at him.
mick

Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 02:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

I agree with you mick too.

I was not trying to suggest that PA Coach was justifying behavior because a coach kept silent. I was just saying that if a coach does not get a responds from an officials it does not mean it is open season to act crazy because of it. The official might have tuned the coach out because of all the comments he made during the game. A smart coach might realize that this is not a good fight to pursue much further.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 10, 2002, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I agree also...

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Peace
Rut,
...But I don't think PA Coach was saying that he'd get worse if we were too busy.
I thought he was saying he would get better, if we at least grunted at him.
mick

You're right Mick. It doesn't take much effort when running past the bench to say to the coach over your shoulder "I hear you, Coach." It lets him know that you aren't ignoring him and I'm sure that that is what PACoach was referring to. A good coach will usually let it go at that.