The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I always find it interesting that the players in the NBA are thugs, but in a sport that allows fighting as apart of the fabric of the sport and you do not get ejected from games if this takes place, they are tough players?

For the record, I see more "white kids" wearing these things than any kids that look like they could play in the NBA. But I guess that makes them thugs too?

Peace
Pick your poison, thugs in NBA, goons in NHL.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Yeah I never understood how fights in any sport are not prosecuted (other than boxing of course). The guy in the concourse who gets in a fight goes to jail, the guy on the ice/court goes to the penalty box/bench.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Sorry you to not understand the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
so what exactly does a kid look like who "looks like they could play in the NBA?" Hello pot, kettle here..
Since it is very well known who are actually playing in the NBA and those that never seem to get in the NBA that is pretty easy. ESPN did a story on this very same issue of American born white players not making the NBA. So the implication that a "thug" in the NBA wearing these sleeves only implicates a certain type of person. Just like if I were to make the say something derogatory to the make up of the NHL, which I did not in this post. And for the record you do not see many players of color playing in the NHL so the typical player in the NHL looks nothing like the players in the NHL or even NFL. And I do not hear people call players in the NHL (which is the point) thugs even though fighting and violent behavior is encouraged and celebrated in that sport. The NBA has not had a real fight in 3 years and players were suspended for multiple games. Fights are a common occurrence in the NHL and suspensions almost never happen for fighting.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
And what does that have to do with what they wear?

Peace
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And what does that have to do with what they wear?

Peace
Nothing. The point was different monikers for different sports.
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Nothing. The point was different monikers for different sports.
One is a stereotype; the other is a moniker for a sport. Not the same thing. I have never heard the NBA TV coverage refer to the players as "thugs." And there was a time in the 70s when there were certain players in the NBA that were called “enforcers.” And fighting took place a lot at that time and the league almost completely whipped it out of the game. Ask Amare Stoudemire.

And BTW, we had discussed this issue so much as it relates to the sleeves, this topic has become redundant.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 02, 2010, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One is a stereotype; the other is a moniker for a sport. Not the same thing. I have never heard the NBA TV coverage refer to the players as "thugs." And there was a time in the 70s when there were certain players in the NBA that were called “enforcers.” And fighting took place a lot at that time and the league almost completely whipped it out of the game. Ask Amare Stoudemire.

And BTW, we had discussed this issue so much as it relates to the sleeves, this topic has become redundant.

Peace
Believe as you wish, I can't recall any hockey announcer calling players goons either. That said, I do think the term thug as it relates to the NBA is based on appearance rather than actual actions by individual players. To call a player a 'thug' just because he has ink and rows is pretty narrow minded.
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 02:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Believe as you wish, I can't recall any hockey announcer calling players goons either. That said, I do think the term thug as it relates to the NBA is based on appearance rather than actual actions by individual players. To call a player a 'thug' just because he has ink and rows is pretty narrow minded.
There was a Chicago Blackhawks player that was charged for robbery and assault right before the season started. I have not heard anyone claim they were a bunch of criminals.

I do not know anyone in the NBA that has been in so much more trouble than any other league. Actually many NBA players are very good citizens like any other league in our country. And wearing a sleeve has nothing to do with thuggery or doing anything illegal.

There are always people that will break the law. I know officials that have broken the law, does that mean we are all thugs because of a few of us. I know that officials would not like it if we were all called cheaters for what one professional official decided to do.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 03, 2010, 07:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's All About Looking Cool ...

Quote:
Wearing a sleeve has nothing to do with thuggery or doing anything illegal.
Agree. Sometimes the sleeve is for a medical reason. Sometimes the sleeve is to make the player look cool.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)