The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Shot Clock Reset Question

Does the shot clock reset if Team A's shot does not hit the rim and there is a simultaneous held ball on the rebound and the arrow favors Team A?
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

No reset...
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Depends.

NCAA Men's - Reset the shot clock
NCAA Women's - No Reset.

Case Book Play AR 108
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:16pm
#thereferee99

Here in California...

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
Does the shot clock reset if Team A's shot does not hit the rim and there is a simultaneous held ball on the rebound and the arrow favors Team A?
... for HS I believe the interpretation is ball to Team A for throw-in and a full reset of the shot clock.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

I found it in AR 112 p.49,50.

Reset in men's and no reset in women's.
Just wondering as they got it wrong in that same WVA vs. Louisville game. Really put the offense at a disadvantage with only 5 seconds on the shot clock. They should have had the full 35.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually in High School, on a held ball since there's no player/team control after an "air ball", the shot clock does not reset. Since the held ball, & the AP was for the team that had team/player control on offense, no reset.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Actually in High School, on a held ball since there's no player/team control after an "air ball", the shot clock does not reset. Since the held ball, & the AP was for the team that had team/player control on offense, no reset.
There's no such thing as a shot clock under HS rules. Some states use one -- and so there might be different "correct" answers to this depending on where it happens.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 06:45pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Additional Shot Clock Question

NCAAW - Purdue vs Iowa today.

Iowa has the ball and shot clock is getting low. Purdue steals near top of the key. Purdue player takes several dribbles goes over the Division Line into their front court and the Iowa shot clock expires - loudly enough to hear on TV. TWEEET! Refs halt play and bring the ball back and give it back to Purdue in their back court near where the steal occurred a few seconds before.

While I don't know NCAAW Rules, it just looked odd as Purdue had the ball on what was a semi-fast break for several seconds before it was blown dead and brought back.

Correct ruling? Thoughts? Anyone else see it?
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
NCAAW - Purdue vs Iowa today.

Iowa has the ball and shot clock is getting low. Purdue steals near top of the key. Purdue player takes several dribbles goes over the Division Line into their front court and the Iowa shot clock expires - loudly enough to hear on TV. TWEEET! Refs halt play and bring the ball back and give it back to Purdue in their back court near where the steal occurred a few seconds before.

While I don't know NCAAW Rules, it just looked odd as Purdue had the ball on what was a semi-fast break for several seconds before it was blown dead and brought back.

Correct ruling? Thoughts? Anyone else see it?
Incorrect if it's as you say. If the defense clearly has gained possession b4 the horn, we are to disregard and play on.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There's no such thing as a shot clock under HS rules. Some states use one -- and so there might be different "correct" answers to this depending on where it happens.
That's the reason why I said HS, but since the NFHS does not recognize the shot clock the rules between states can be different.

Also never heard, in the OP, if defense got the rebound or not, if defense had control then the shot clock would of been reset before the held ball was called. If that was the case the shot clock would then be reset if the if team A has the AP.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also never heard, in the OP, if defense got the rebound or not, if defense had control then the shot clock would of been reset before the held ball was called. If that was the case the shot clock would then be reset if the if team A has the AP.
Yes, you did. The OP was very specific. He wrote that the held ball was simultaneous following the try for goal which did not strike the ring.
That means that the two players, one from each team, grabbed the ball at the same time following the airball. So the defense did NOT get the rebound first and then get tied up, nor did the offense do that.

You just didn't understand the post correctly.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yes, you did. The OP was very specific. He wrote that the held ball was simultaneous following the try for goal which did not strike the ring.
That means that the two players, one from each team, grabbed the ball at the same time following the airball. So the defense did NOT get the rebound first and then get tied up, nor did the offense do that.

You just didn't understand the post correctly.
I reread the OP afterwards, initially when I read the posting I was in a bit of pain so wasn't thinking clearly/

Being that it was a simultaneous rebound, in HS, no reset, depending on the state.
Old Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
... for HS I believe the interpretation is ball to Team A for throw-in and a full reset of the shot clock.
Correct, for CA as governed by the CIF modifications.

http://www.norcalofficials.org/pdf/CIF.pdf

From page 5 of the above document:

"Shot blocked by B1, simultaneously recovered by B2 and A2 for a held ball = alternating-possession arrow, new shot clock."
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
no reset in FIBA.
Old Mon Feb 01, 2010, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I reread the OP afterwards, initially when I read the posting I was in a bit of pain so wasn't thinking clearly/
How do you explain the other 496 posts you've made?