The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:21pm
MABO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 796
What would you do?

Here is the situation. 3rd period and game is about a 6 point difference, fairly competative but not too bad. Your running up the court and hear the crowd yelling that the clock is messed up. When you look up the clock has reset to 10 minutes, (we play 10 minute periods in FIBA) and the last time you looked at the clock you remember it was at 4:33.
You go to your partner and ask if he had a more recent look at the time remaining and get a blank stare. Ask the time keeper what happened and she says I tried to advance the period indicator and it reset. So I ask her did you notice how much time was left? Of course not!

So I ask What do I do?
__________________
"Your Azz is the Red Sea, My foot is Moses, and I am about to part the Red Sea all the way up to my knee!"

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:31pm
We don't rent pigs
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,627
Put the 4:33 back up and go from there.
__________________
I swear, Gus, you'd argue with a possum.
It'd be easier than arguing with you, Woodrow.


Lonesome Dove
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:36pm
MABO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 796
Exactly what I did and then got a supreme dose from the home bench that there was only around 2 minutes left. The crowd was agreeing with the coach but the visitor coach said he had no idea and was good with my decision.

By the way the visitors were actually winning and did win the game so the extra time was in favour of the Home team.
__________________
"Your Azz is the Red Sea, My foot is Moses, and I am about to part the Red Sea all the way up to my knee!"

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:37pm
MABO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 796
And before anyone says anything, I told the coach I don't listen to the crowd so their opinion didn't mean anything to me.
__________________
"Your Azz is the Red Sea, My foot is Moses, and I am about to part the Red Sea all the way up to my knee!"

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:51pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
And before anyone says anything, I told the coach I don't listen to the crowd so their opinion didn't mean anything to me.
You did the right thing, nothing else you can do (unless FIBA lets you guess in this situation.)
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,847
Game management - make a habit of looking at the clock more often. If over 2 minutes had passed since you last looked at the scoreboard, that's too long.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Game management - make a habit of looking at the clock more often. If over 2 minutes had passed since you last looked at the scoreboard, that's too long.
Agreed,
Everytime I inbounds the ball I look up at the clock, youth reffing taught me this (about half the time in youth games a volunteer is doing the clock and sometimes they are texting )
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,847
I learned this at my first camp. I had told the evaluator of a game I was working that I wanted to work on my game management. I was thinking game management was dealing with coaches, players, etc. So at a timeout in the 2nd quarter, he comes down to the court and tells me not to look at the scoreboard and tell him the time remaining in the quarter, the score, and the foul count. I look at him with that deer in the headlights look. He said that's game management - knowing where you are in the game at all times. There endeth the lesson.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater View Post
and before anyone says anything, i told the coach i don't listen to the crowd so their opinion didn't mean anything to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater View Post
your running up the court and hear the crowd yelling that the clock is messed up. When you look up the clock has reset to 10 minutes, (we play 10 minute periods in fiba) and the last time you looked at the clock you remember it was at 4:33.
I couldn't resist
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:27pm
MABO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 796
Haha, thanks for pointing that out All_Heart.

Ok I hear them but don't care what they say.
__________________
"Your Azz is the Red Sea, My foot is Moses, and I am about to part the Red Sea all the way up to my knee!"

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:30pm
MABO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Game management - make a habit of looking at the clock more often. If over 2 minutes had passed since you last looked at the scoreboard, that's too long.
Game management was not the problem. 2 minutes had not run off the clock if anything it may have been a 30 second run without a whistle but I did not have any definate knowledge. Sometimes as you probably know there are back and forth play where you don't actually get a chance to look up at the clock.
__________________
"Your Azz is the Red Sea, My foot is Moses, and I am about to part the Red Sea all the way up to my knee!"

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Game management was not the problem. 2 minutes had not run off the clock if anything it may have been a 30 second run without a whistle but I did not have any definate knowledge.
But you aren't sure and maybe not 2 minutes, but also maybe more than 30 seconds. It doesn't take much to glance at the clock - unless you constantly had the ball in your primary for that whole time. I wasn't really commenting on your specific situation, per se, anyway. Just a general comment that would tend to get a person closer to the actual time if this type of situation occurs. You are right - sometimes you can't always look at the scoreboard as often as you'd like.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: only in my own mind, such as it is
Posts: 12,918
Lightbulb

About 15 years ago (not kidding), I had a veteran tell me that when something like this (i.e. clock not started) you take your best guess (not out loud) as to what to reset the clock, then go over to the table at the next dead ball and tell them that the clock didn't start but you were counting it down in your head and it should be set to - give them a number here. You can be sure no one was actually counting it down, so they're not going to argue with you if you seem adamant as to the number. It's a matter of court presence.

I've done this and it works.
__________________
Yom HaShoah
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 05:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: East Westchester of the Southern Conference
Posts: 5,386
Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
About 15 years ago (not kidding), I had a veteran tell me that when something like this (i.e. clock not started) you take your best guess (not out loud) as to what to reset the clock, then go over to the table at the next dead ball and tell them that the clock didn't start but you were counting it down in your head and it should be set to - give them a number here. You can be sure no one was actually counting it down, so they're not going to argue with you if you seem adamant as to the number. It's a matter of court presence.

I've done this and it works.
I did this very thing at a JVG tournament last weekend. Game management had a new timer to start the 2nd half.
__________________
Never hit a piņata if you see hornets flying out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I learned this at my first camp. I had told the evaluator of a game I was working that I wanted to work on my game management. I was thinking game management was dealing with coaches, players, etc. So at a timeout in the 2nd quarter, he comes down to the court and tells me not to look at the scoreboard and tell him the time remaining in the quarter, the score, and the foul count. I look at him with that deer in the headlights look. He said that's game management - knowing where you are in the game at all times. There endeth the lesson.
I like that.............thank you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1