The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Free Throw Lane Violation?

Last night late in a boys varsity game team A was fouled and lined up for a 2 shot freethrow. Team B was huddling at mid court, A1 was shooting and A2 and A3 were occupying the second lane spaces. The L puts the ball at the disposal of the shooter and he misses, The L then calls a lane violation because nobody from Team B was occupying the first two lane spaces. A1 was awarded another try. Team B coach was not happy. Does the defensive team have to occupy the first two lane spaces? I thought they were not required to occupy these but the offensive team could not occupy the first two lane spaces. FYI, The shooter missed all 3 shots.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 08:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Now, What Say You?

Rule 8 Section 1, ART. 4 . . . During a free throw, lane spaces may be occupied as follows:
a. Marked lane spaces may be occupied by a maximum of four defensive and
two offensive players.
b. The lane areas from the end line up to, and including, the neutral-zone
marks, shall remain vacant.
c. The first marked lane spaces on each side of the lane, above and adjacent
to the neutral-zone marks, shall be occupied by opponents of the free
thrower
. No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these
marked lane spaces.
d. The second marked lane spaces on each side may be occupied by
teammates of the free thrower
e. The third marked lane spaces on each side, nearest the free thrower, may
be occupied by the opponents of the free thrower.
f. Players shall be permitted to move along and across the lane to occupy a
vacant marked lane space within the limitations listed in this rule.
g. Not more than one player may occupy any part of a marked lane space.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargil View Post
Last night late in a boys varsity game team A was fouled and lined up for a 2 shot freethrow. Team B was huddling at mid court, A1 was shooting and A2 and A3 were occupying the second lane spaces. The L puts the ball at the disposal of the shooter and he misses, The L then calls a lane violation because nobody from Team B was occupying the first two lane spaces. A1 was awarded another try. Team B coach was not happy. Does the defensive team have to occupy the first two lane spaces? I thought they were not required to occupy these but the offensive team could not occupy the first two lane spaces. FYI, The shooter missed all 3 shots.
The officials should have directed B to occupy the first two spots. If they refused, then the officials should have issued a T. No violation; no "delay of game" warning.

(IF this had been after a TO, then use the "resumption of play" procedure before the T.)
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 09:47am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The officials should have directed B to occupy the first two spots. If they refused, then the officials should have issued a T. No violation; no "delay of game" warning.

(IF this had been after a TO, then use the "resumption of play" procedure before the T.)
aka case book play 10.1.5SitC
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I will have to pay closer attention to wording when reading the books, "shall occupy". I will file this away and consider myself a little more knowledgable.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
aka case book play 10.1.5SitC
Exact same situation . Didn't think there were too many instances where the official directs the players to comply with the rule , and then whacks 'em if they don't !
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Bob, why is there not a delay-of-game warning given in this situation? The players are huddling, but not in the lane(as per the case play). To me this is delaying the administration of the free thows as per the ruling in A of your case play. The difference being where the huddle is occurring. I hate to disagree with Bob because I am probably wrong

A very similar situation occurred in a game I was doing. The shooting foul was being administered and the entire non shooting team was huddling with their coach on the backcourt side of the court. We asked the players to occupy the inside spaces but I think we should have given the dog warning.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Bob, why is there not a delay-of-game warning given in this situation?
Because the case play JurassicRef provided 70 minutes before your question says it's a T.

Quote:
A very similar situation occurred in a game I was doing. The shooting foul was being administered and the entire non shooting team was huddling with their coach on the backcourt side of the court. We asked the players to occupy the inside spaces but I think we should have given the dog warning.
You (as a crew) got it right. Next time, you'll lead the effort to get it right.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopguy View Post
Bob, why is there not a delay-of-game warning given in this situation? The players are huddling, but not in the lane(as per the case play). To me this is delaying the administration of the free thows as per the ruling in A of your case play. The difference being where the huddle is occurring. I hate to disagree with Bob because I am probably wrong

Difference being, in the Case Play the huddle prevents you from administering the free throw; in your play, the free throw can be administered but the defensive players are now failing to occupy their mandatory positions.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 06:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can Be A Double Violation ...

Here's a little twist, remember, if offensive players are in the first lane space, it's a double violation. Against the defensive players for not being there, and against the offensive players for being there.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 07:00pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Please expound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Here's a little twist, remember, if offensive players are in the first lane space, it's a double violation. Against the defensive players for not being there, and against the offensive players for being there.
Know this to be true but too lazy to look it up. Rules cite, pls.

Thanks
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 07:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ask And Ye Shall Receive (Matthew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Rules cite. Thanks
8-1-4-C: The first marked lane spaces on each side of the lane, above and adjacent
to the neutral-zone marks, shall be occupied by opponents of the free
thrower. No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these
marked lane spaces.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 07:21pm.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Know this to be true but too lazy to look it up. Rules cite, pls.

Thanks
DEFENSE AND OFFENSE IN OPPOSITE SPACES
9.1.2 SITUATION B: A1 is shooting the first of a bonus free-throw situation. A4
and A5 are positioned in the first two marked lane spaces (near the end line) and
B4 and B5 are positioned in the second two marked lane spaces. The incorrect
alignment is discovered by the officials (a) before the ball is at the disposal of A1;
(b) after the ball is at A1's disposal, but before the try is in flight; (c) when the try
is in flight; (d) when the successful try goes through the cylinder; (e) when the
unsuccessful try is rebounding off the basket ring; or (f) when the rebound of the
unsuccessful try is securely in A4's possession. RULING: In (a), the administering
official shall "reset" the free throw and put the players in their proper marked
lane spaces. In (b) and (c) an official shall sound his/her whistle immediately and
call a simultaneous violation, utilizing the alternating-possession procedure to
put the ball in play.
In (d), (e) and (f) the free throw has ended and the improper
alignment is ignored. (4-20-3; 9-1-2 Penalty 3)