The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Your worst mechanic? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56800-your-worst-mechanic.html)

fullor30 Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:26pm

Your worst mechanic?

Not really a mechanic, but I tend to use the wrong signal as shooter goes up and shot is partially blocked as he/she returns to floor. I signal illegal dribble for some strange reason. Just did it the other night. Partners didn't catch it, nobody notices, it but you feel silly.

It's fess up Friday.........

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:29pm

Sometimes, when a player gets clobbered going to the hoop, I'll signal a cross-check. Seems appropriate.

Of course, I'm sure most guys here will say they've worked with someone who signals a double foul for a 60 second timeout.

fullor30 Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 656722)
Sometimes, when a player gets clobbered going to the hoop, I'll signal a cross-check. Seems appropriate.

Of course, I'm sure most guys here will say they've worked with someone who signals a double foul for a 60 second timeout.

As I saw your name before reading I thought there was a new "we're going to overtime" mechanic instituted.

PIAA REF Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:38pm

college

My problem is keeping high school and college mechanic seperate. I have a habit of not stopping the clock in HS on out of bounds. ( i just point direction) and I have started a BC count once or twice in college women's
Which I realize when I get to 3. :(

justacoach Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 656719)
Not really a mechanic, but I tend to use the wrong signal as shooter goes up and shot is partially blocked as he/she returns to floor. I signal double dribble for some strange reason. Just did it the other night. Partners didn't catch it, nobody notices, it but you feel silly.

It's fess up Friday.........

What "signal" did you intend to use???
Was it a NFHS disseminated mechanic or one you have borrowed from our baseball brethren?

If it's the latter case, do us all a favor and remove it from your repertoire except for those instances it communicates something meaningful to your partner. These instances almost always relate to backcourt and OOB.

Loudwhistle Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 656723)
As I saw your name before reading I thought there was a new "we're going to overtime" mechanic instituted.

In Mark's case, the signal would be: extend right arm with fist and teeth clenched, then extend middle finger to maximum amount possible, direct finger at score board and then start the overtime.:D

Ignats75 Fri Jan 29, 2010 01:49pm

BAd habit, but it does defuse situations. A1 catches ball and juggles/bobbles it. Coach starts yelling for a travel. I make a juggling motion while looking at him. (I don't want to shout across court) I find it communicates effectively what I saw to the coach and does eliminate unnecessary noise.

Amesman Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:03pm

Anticipating a call and suddenly realizing I better scratch my head or ear instead.

Mark Padgett Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 656723)

Sorry - never used that. :cool:

bas2456 Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 656738)
Anticipating a call and suddenly realizing I better scratch my head or ear instead.

I do that sometimes...I wonder if anyone's caught me ever.

SAJ Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:13pm

Something I haven't really thought about until this topic was posted, but how many revolutions do you typically make on your travel mechanic? I make 3, but I've seen some only make 1. It seems to be the most cumbersome mechanic visually.

Wellmer Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:18pm

SAJ, what part of Nebraska are you in?

SAJ Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wellmer (Post 656749)
SAJ, what part of Nebraska are you in?

Southwest

fullor30 Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 656725)
What "signal" did you intend to use???
Was it a NFHS disseminated mechanic or one you have borrowed from our baseball brethren?

If it's the latter case, do us all a favor and remove it from your repertoire except for those instances it communicates something meaningful to your partner. These instances almost always relate to backcourt and OOB.

First of all, I'm clearly not doing you any 'favors'. Secondly, I have no idea what you're babbling about.

Better poll everyone before you use the word us.

fullor30 Fri Jan 29, 2010 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 656751)
Southwest

Chadron?