The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Vomitting

What a fun game tonite!! We had fans removed b/c of racial slurs, two technicals, the possible substitution of a JV player (we have 4 qtr rule) which would require a "T" when/if the player entered the game, a 30+ point lead whittled to 7!! But what REALLY caused me to stop for a moment was when V1 suddenly got big eyed, ran to the side and threw up!!! He ALMOST made it out of bounds but not quite. As we were waiting for the mess to be cleaned up, I was wondering if this would constitute a delay of game? To make things even MORE fun (It took awhile to find a mop), the player decided to orally evacuate his digestive system AGAIN!! Now, sice we DO have a time out (all be it official) and he threw up during the time out, causing the restart of the game, doesn't the meet the definition of a delay of game? (It would have been #2 meaning ANOTHER T!!. I jest of course but it was fun to contemplate.
Of course the jokes from the coaches were comming. The H coach said that V1 must of had the same opinion of your officiating as our fans!! The V coach said that it is about time his kids played their guts out!! I told them both that this should be an object lesson and not have Sushi for pregame!!
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

wow lol those coaches are witty....great comebacks!
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
the possible substitution of a JV player (we have 4 qtr rule) which would require a "T" when/if the player entered the game
Is that supposed to be enforced as a T in your area? I thought refs weren't supposed to be worrying about quarters, and that the coaches and local league or state administration would decide whether to just forfeit the game.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Correct. We are not responsible for keeping track of the quarters that players participate in. However, since the player was not in the book, he would have had to been added after the 10 min. mark. The "T" would be assessed based on that if he had entered the game, which he did not. Alhtough it was getting close. V was down to 5 with 2 minutes left and 1 had 4!!!!
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:16pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I think Padgett would've fixed those coaches. Evened it up so to speak.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

As far as the 4 Quarter. Not sure how many quarters he played in JV. He can play a combined 4 Quarter between the two teams. But it is not our job to worry about that.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:44pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Correct. We are not responsible for keeping track of the quarters that players participate in. However, since the player was not in the book, he would have had to been added after the 10 min. mark. The "T" would be assessed based on that if he had entered the game, which he did not. Alhtough it was getting close. V was down to 5 with 2 minutes left and 1 had 4!!!!
The question is, if the coach is taking the approach: We'll only use this player if we have to, even though we know it is violation of the rule about number of quarters, why wouldn't he have this player in the book already, just in case?

And what is the penalty for violating the quarter rule?

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 View Post
As far as the 4 Quarter. Not sure how many quarters he played in JV. He can play a combined 4 Quarter between the two teams. But it is not our job to worry about that.
Do you ref in Judtech's state? I only ask because I know it's different everywhere. I don't believe CO regulates quarters in a day, only a season. I don't know for sure, though, bucause I don't want to know.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:42pm
MABO Member

Quote:
However, since the player was not in the book, he would have had to been added after the 10 min. mark. The "T" would be assessed based on that if he had entered the game, which he did not.
This is another example of a difference with FIBA. If they are not in the book when the game starts they don't play. We don't have to worry about all the administrative Tech's.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
I think Padgett would've fixed those coaches. Evened it up so to speak.
Would it be a DOG if the coaches had to go change their shoes?
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

The H Coach was saying it in a good natured way. The fans are notoriously loud mouths about everything. He meant nothing by it and I took no offense.
As for the Qtr rule. The VC had only 8 players. With one down, and two in foul trouble he wanted to know his options. He asked about getting a JV player dressed and in the game. I explaind the 4 qtr and that THEY were responsible for the 4 qtr rule. The only thing I would have enforced would have been the admin T. Fortunately, he finished with 5 players so he didn't have to bring the extra body in. He didn't KNOW he would need an extra player, just looked for options.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The question is, if the coach is taking the approach: We'll only use this player if we have to, even though we know it is violation of the rule about number of quarters, why wouldn't he have this player in the book already, just in case?

And what is the penalty for violating the quarter rule?
If I remember the rules correctly for WIAA, if a player plays more than 4 Qtrs. in a day against the same team (different squads), the game in which that player played over the limit, their team would forfeit.

Hopefully Rookiedude or one of the other WA officials come in for verification.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 12:12am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
Hopefully Rookiedude or one of the other WA officials come in for verification.
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know; for the same reason I don't know the rules or punishments in CO. I don't want to know, 'cause it ain't my job.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

Further review

Quote:
Now, sice we DO have a time out (all be it official) and he threw up during the time out, causing the restart of the game, doesn't the meet the definition of a delay of game?
By rule, are we not required to examine, inspect and analyze the effluent and determine if it its composition is primarily water spilled onto, or caused to be spilled onto, the playing surface during the timeout? Can't find barf in Mary's index.
Old Sat Jan 30, 2010, 11:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Like Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
We not required to examine, inspect and analyze the effluent and determine if it its composition is primarily water spilled onto, or caused to be spilled onto, the playing surface during the timeout?
Hey? You have to have a chemist's union card in order to do this.

The environmental chemical analysts' motto: "As long as you flush, we will have a job".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)