The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:21pm
MABO Member

What would you do?

Here is the situation. 3rd period and game is about a 6 point difference, fairly competative but not too bad. Your running up the court and hear the crowd yelling that the clock is messed up. When you look up the clock has reset to 10 minutes, (we play 10 minute periods in FIBA) and the last time you looked at the clock you remember it was at 4:33.
You go to your partner and ask if he had a more recent look at the time remaining and get a blank stare. Ask the time keeper what happened and she says I tried to advance the period indicator and it reset. So I ask her did you notice how much time was left? Of course not!

So I ask What do I do?

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:31pm
We don't rent pigs

Put the 4:33 back up and go from there.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:36pm
MABO Member

Exactly what I did and then got a supreme dose from the home bench that there was only around 2 minutes left. The crowd was agreeing with the coach but the visitor coach said he had no idea and was good with my decision.

By the way the visitors were actually winning and did win the game so the extra time was in favour of the Home team.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:37pm
MABO Member

And before anyone says anything, I told the coach I don't listen to the crowd so their opinion didn't mean anything to me.

Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
And before anyone says anything, I told the coach I don't listen to the crowd so their opinion didn't mean anything to me.
You did the right thing, nothing else you can do (unless FIBA lets you guess in this situation.)
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Game management - make a habit of looking at the clock more often. If over 2 minutes had passed since you last looked at the scoreboard, that's too long.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Game management - make a habit of looking at the clock more often. If over 2 minutes had passed since you last looked at the scoreboard, that's too long.
Agreed,
Everytime I inbounds the ball I look up at the clock, youth reffing taught me this (about half the time in youth games a volunteer is doing the clock and sometimes they are texting )
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

I learned this at my first camp. I had told the evaluator of a game I was working that I wanted to work on my game management. I was thinking game management was dealing with coaches, players, etc. So at a timeout in the 2nd quarter, he comes down to the court and tells me not to look at the scoreboard and tell him the time remaining in the quarter, the score, and the foul count. I look at him with that deer in the headlights look. He said that's game management - knowing where you are in the game at all times. There endeth the lesson.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater View Post
and before anyone says anything, i told the coach i don't listen to the crowd so their opinion didn't mean anything to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater View Post
your running up the court and hear the crowd yelling that the clock is messed up. When you look up the clock has reset to 10 minutes, (we play 10 minute periods in fiba) and the last time you looked at the clock you remember it was at 4:33.
I couldn't resist
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:27pm
MABO Member

Haha, thanks for pointing that out All_Heart.

Ok I hear them but don't care what they say.

Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:30pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Game management was not the problem. 2 minutes had not run off the clock if anything it may have been a 30 second run without a whistle but I did not have any definate knowledge. Sometimes as you probably know there are back and forth play where you don't actually get a chance to look up at the clock.

Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
Game management was not the problem. 2 minutes had not run off the clock if anything it may have been a 30 second run without a whistle but I did not have any definate knowledge.
But you aren't sure and maybe not 2 minutes, but also maybe more than 30 seconds. It doesn't take much to glance at the clock - unless you constantly had the ball in your primary for that whole time. I wasn't really commenting on your specific situation, per se, anyway. Just a general comment that would tend to get a person closer to the actual time if this type of situation occurs. You are right - sometimes you can't always look at the scoreboard as often as you'd like.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 04:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

About 15 years ago (not kidding), I had a veteran tell me that when something like this (i.e. clock not started) you take your best guess (not out loud) as to what to reset the clock, then go over to the table at the next dead ball and tell them that the clock didn't start but you were counting it down in your head and it should be set to - give them a number here. You can be sure no one was actually counting it down, so they're not going to argue with you if you seem adamant as to the number. It's a matter of court presence.

I've done this and it works.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 05:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
About 15 years ago (not kidding), I had a veteran tell me that when something like this (i.e. clock not started) you take your best guess (not out loud) as to what to reset the clock, then go over to the table at the next dead ball and tell them that the clock didn't start but you were counting it down in your head and it should be set to - give them a number here. You can be sure no one was actually counting it down, so they're not going to argue with you if you seem adamant as to the number. It's a matter of court presence.

I've done this and it works.
I did this very thing at a JVG tournament last weekend. Game management had a new timer to start the 2nd half.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I learned this at my first camp. I had told the evaluator of a game I was working that I wanted to work on my game management. I was thinking game management was dealing with coaches, players, etc. So at a timeout in the 2nd quarter, he comes down to the court and tells me not to look at the scoreboard and tell him the time remaining in the quarter, the score, and the foul count. I look at him with that deer in the headlights look. He said that's game management - knowing where you are in the game at all times. There endeth the lesson.
I like that.............thank you.