The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officials Uniform (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56772-officials-uniform.html)

KYREF1 Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:13am

Thanks Rick.

ref2coach Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:29am

Walmart, in the Men's department has the "Starter" brand of "wicking" undergarments. They have both the compression and regular fit. $10-$12 each. I have worn "Starter" for ~10 years. Great product, great price.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYREF1 (Post 656310)
Can you believe I went to our walmart and they did not have any black V Neck Shirts. I was in shock!

I'll just find an old black shirt for tonight to use.

You could wear white (no writing / logo on it). Or, dont' wear one at all -- unless your shirt is really see through (and most aren't). Try it on at home first to see.

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 656325)
Walmart, in the Men's department has the "Starter" brand of "wicking" undergarments. They have both the compression and regular fit. $10-$12 each. I have worn "Starter" for ~10 years. Great product, great price.

Most of mine are "Duke" brand; found in military clothing sales. Probably can't find them in black now as easily due to the uniform change.

I didn't know Starter had come out with a wicking garment. Good info.

FBullock Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 656325)

Agree. The Walmart stuff is great. Even if you have to replace some of it, (which I've never had to do), for the price, its a great deal. (No, I don't own stock in Walmart)

Judtech Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:16am

Wow, soooo many comments...Commando (Can't believe SNAQ didnt seize the opportunity!)...Nip burn...but I will hold off.
I agree that wearing something under the "stripes" keeps them looking more fresh and last longer. I am not a big fan of the cotton ones. I prefer the mesh/wicking undershirts. I usually wait till they go on sale at Dick's or my yearly stop at the Reebok outlet.

dsqrddgd909 Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:26pm

Maybe it's just me, but all of the synthetic wicking t-shirts make me as hot as blazes. I'm a cotton guy and it seems to be cooler for me.

Amesman Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35pm

As long as there's not a lot of raised writing or a big, gummy logo on it, you could just turn a black shirt you already have inside out. Old concert T's could be just the fit.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 656364)
Maybe it's just me, but all of the synthetic wicking t-shirts make me as hot as blazes. I'm a cotton guy and it seems to be cooler for me.

You're probably the only one....but note that all those wicking fabrics lose their wicking ability if you dry them with a dryer sheet (Bounce, etc.). The stuff in the dryer sheet clogs the channels that are meant to wick away the sweat. After that, they'll not be able to do their job. I've heard that washing/drying them 3-4 times without a dryer sheet mostly reverses the effect. I wash mine in a special sport wash from REI that is meant for wicking tech fabrics (also bought it from Amazon a few times).

Also, if you're wearing a plain polyester (or even cotton) outer-shirt over the wicking shirt, you've defeated the purpose. The wicking shirt needs an outer later that also wicks or is open enough (mesh) so the sweat can evaporate.

cmhjordan23 Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:09pm

I wear the stuff the looks like Under Armor. Get it at Walmart. Starter brand. $10. Plus their better than t shirts. Cotton soaks up the moisture. I hate that.

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 656376)
I wear the stuff the looks like Under Armor. Get it at Walmart. Starter brand. $10. Plus their better than t shirts. Cotton soaks up the moisture. I hate that.

I'm going to try the Starter, I think, the next time I buy new. I agree on cotton, I just have a surplus of those right now and can't justify spending dollars on under shirts.

CLH Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 656312)
I don't wear a V-neck. Nobody notices that little bit of collar above the V-neck.

HAHA! Tell that to Lisa Mattingly or any of the top womens officials, lol

mbyron Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:24pm

Here you go.
Walmart.com: Starter - Men's Short-Sleeve Compression Tee: Men

Rich Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 656384)
HAHA! Tell that to Lisa Mattingly or any of the top womens officials, lol

I don't understand. I'm talking about that little bit of black that sticks above the v-neck. You see it at all levels of the game, up through the NBA.

doubleringer Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:31pm

I wear just the under armor heat gear undershirt. I personally like having short sleeves...when I wore the sleeveless, I got pit stains over time in my stripes. Just my $.02.