The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officials Uniform (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56772-officials-uniform.html)

KYREF1 Thu Jan 28, 2010 03:10am

Officials Uniform

Hello,

Ordered a new Smitty's V Neck XL shirt along with a new pair of Smitty's pleated beltless pants

I've searched but found nothing, I'm just curious if I need an undershirt due it looks like its see through?

If so color and prefered preference on undershirt?

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 03:23am

Black undershirts are pretty standard around my area, but you'll want to verify with local officials in your area. It's not about seeing through it, it's just more comfortable. Personally, I prefer Under Armour, but I also have a lot of left over black undershirts from wearing BDU's. Now that we've gone to ABU's, I only have one use for the black shirts I have.

KYREF1 Thu Jan 28, 2010 03:37am

As of now, I'm still doing elementary and middle school. I just received my officials license from KHSAA and will hopefully start doing JV atleast next season.

Just trying to get into the rhythm of everything as to official dress.

While I know this isn't Under Armour, I'm not even sure where to get that product locally. Would this suffice?

Men?s Dyed ComfortSoft V-Neck T-Shirt | Shop Hanes.com

Thanks

LocDog249 Thu Jan 28, 2010 04:04am

Personally I've never worn an undershirt while officiating, which is weird cause I always have one on everywhere else. I have the Smitty Micromesh. I don't see the point of having an undershirt with this if is supposed to help cool me down anyways.
I would just recommend to go with what is comfortable for you.

KYREF1 Thu Jan 28, 2010 04:12am

Yeah, may not even go with one tonight... We'll see.

I've got 2 5th grade and 2 4th grade games tonight. Pay for a decent dinner and my stuff I've bought so I'm happy.

mbyron Thu Jan 28, 2010 07:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LocDog249 (Post 656244)
Personally I've never worn an undershirt while officiating, which is weird cause I always have one on everywhere else.

I have always worn an undershirt. It protects your stripes from sweat stains and makes them last longer. IMO it also looks better.

KYREF1 Thu Jan 28, 2010 07:40am

Best place to get the best undershirt? I've got games tonight.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 28, 2010 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYREF1 (Post 656261)

You don't need an 'Officials supply house" for a fricken undershirt. Go to your local megalo-mart or sporting goods store, or Kohls, or....

I have a couple, wore them, didn't like them, don't wear one.

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYREF1 (Post 656261)

Walmart, Target, Kohl's; any department store will carry black undershirts, if you want one. I don't wear them to cool me down, but because I don't like the feel of the polyester against my skin.

IREFU2 Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYREF1 (Post 656239)
Hello,

Ordered a new Smitty's V Neck XL shirt along with a new pair of Smitty's pleated beltless pants

I've searched but found nothing, I'm just curious if I need an undershirt due it looks like its see through?

Why not an Under Armour Black shirt?

bas2456 Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:13am

I just got a couple of black t-shirts and cut the sleeves off. Works for me.

Raymond Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYREF1 (Post 656239)
Hello,

Yes, and easily found at Wal-Mart.

Rich Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 656271)
You don't need an 'Officials supply house" for a fricken undershirt. Go to your local megalo-mart or sporting goods store, or Kohls, or....

I have a couple, wore them, didn't like them, don't wear one.

I wear a sleeveless UA compression shirt. Cost $20 or so, but I like the shirt, so it was worth it to me (and I had a gift certificate, so it was free).

KYREF1 Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:05am

Can you believe I went to our walmart and they did not have any black V Neck Shirts. I was in shock!

I'll just find an old black shirt for tonight to use.

Rich Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYREF1 (Post 656310)
Can you believe I went to our walmart and they did not have any black V Neck Shirts. I was in shock!

I don't wear a V-neck. Nobody notices that little bit of collar above the V-neck.

KYREF1 Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:13am

Thanks Rick.

ref2coach Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:29am

Walmart, in the Men's department has the "Starter" brand of "wicking" undergarments. They have both the compression and regular fit. $10-$12 each. I have worn "Starter" for ~10 years. Great product, great price.

bob jenkins Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KYREF1 (Post 656310)

You could wear white (no writing / logo on it). Or, dont' wear one at all -- unless your shirt is really see through (and most aren't). Try it on at home first to see.

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 656325)
Walmart, in the Men's department has the "Starter" brand of "wicking" undergarments. They have both the compression and regular fit. $10-$12 each. I have worn "Starter" for ~10 years. Great product, great price.

Most of mine are "Duke" brand; found in military clothing sales. Probably can't find them in black now as easily due to the uniform change.

I didn't know Starter had come out with a wicking garment. Good info.

FBullock Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 656325)

Agree. The Walmart stuff is great. Even if you have to replace some of it, (which I've never had to do), for the price, its a great deal. (No, I don't own stock in Walmart)

Judtech Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:16am

Wow, soooo many comments...Commando (Can't believe SNAQ didnt seize the opportunity!)...Nip burn...but I will hold off.
I agree that wearing something under the "stripes" keeps them looking more fresh and last longer. I am not a big fan of the cotton ones. I prefer the mesh/wicking undershirts. I usually wait till they go on sale at Dick's or my yearly stop at the Reebok outlet.

dsqrddgd909 Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:26pm

Maybe it's just me, but all of the synthetic wicking t-shirts make me as hot as blazes. I'm a cotton guy and it seems to be cooler for me.

Amesman Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35pm

As long as there's not a lot of raised writing or a big, gummy logo on it, you could just turn a black shirt you already have inside out. Old concert T's could be just the fit.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 (Post 656364)
Maybe it's just me, but all of the synthetic wicking t-shirts make me as hot as blazes. I'm a cotton guy and it seems to be cooler for me.

You're probably the only one....but note that all those wicking fabrics lose their wicking ability if you dry them with a dryer sheet (Bounce, etc.). The stuff in the dryer sheet clogs the channels that are meant to wick away the sweat. After that, they'll not be able to do their job. I've heard that washing/drying them 3-4 times without a dryer sheet mostly reverses the effect. I wash mine in a special sport wash from REI that is meant for wicking tech fabrics (also bought it from Amazon a few times).

Also, if you're wearing a plain polyester (or even cotton) outer-shirt over the wicking shirt, you've defeated the purpose. The wicking shirt needs an outer later that also wicks or is open enough (mesh) so the sweat can evaporate.

cmhjordan23 Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:09pm

I wear the stuff the looks like Under Armor. Get it at Walmart. Starter brand. $10. Plus their better than t shirts. Cotton soaks up the moisture. I hate that.

Adam Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 656376)
I wear the stuff the looks like Under Armor. Get it at Walmart. Starter brand. $10. Plus their better than t shirts. Cotton soaks up the moisture. I hate that.

I'm going to try the Starter, I think, the next time I buy new. I agree on cotton, I just have a surplus of those right now and can't justify spending dollars on under shirts.

CLH Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 656312)
I don't wear a V-neck. Nobody notices that little bit of collar above the V-neck.

HAHA! Tell that to Lisa Mattingly or any of the top womens officials, lol

mbyron Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:24pm

Here you go.
Walmart.com: Starter - Men's Short-Sleeve Compression Tee: Men

Rich Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 656384)
HAHA! Tell that to Lisa Mattingly or any of the top womens officials, lol

I don't understand. I'm talking about that little bit of black that sticks above the v-neck. You see it at all levels of the game, up through the NBA.

doubleringer Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:31pm

I wear just the under armor heat gear undershirt. I personally like having short sleeves...when I wore the sleeveless, I got pit stains over time in my stripes. Just my $.02.

ILRef80 Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:34pm

I get most of my compression gear from Target. I have several shirts. I have to wear a compression shirt under my uniform. It just feels better.

doubleringer Thu Jan 28, 2010 01:43pm

I'm thinking about going with the flexi-belt. Not because my shirt comes out on the floor, but I just think they look sexy in the locker room. :D I believe Crash Davis said...."The rosebud goes in the front Big Guy."

CLH Thu Jan 28, 2010 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 656387)
I don't understand. I'm talking about that little bit of black that sticks above the v-neck. You see it at all levels of the game, up through the NBA.

Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about...the CCA manual says that if an undershirt is worn, it should not be seen...I know its often overlooked at many levels, but they you will seldom ever see in the NCAA-W, I cut a V in the neckline of my undershirts because I've had my a$$ ripped over it

jalons Thu Jan 28, 2010 04:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 656440)
Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about...the CCA manual says that if an undershirt is worn, it should not be seen...I know its often overlooked at many levels, but they you will seldom ever see in the NCAA-W, I cut a V in the neckline of my undershirts because I've had my a$$ ripped over it

I was at a camp (women's) two years ago and an official on the game before mine was ripped into by the clinician because the official's undershirt was showing. The clinician had the CCA manual out and was pointing and yelling at the offiicial. Thankfully I had the V-neck undershirt on that day. Of course she found plenty of other flaws in my game.

CLH Thu Jan 28, 2010 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalons (Post 656442)
I was at a camp (women's) two years ago and an official on the game before mine was ripped into by the clinician because the official's undershirt was showing. The clinician had the CCA manual out and was pointing and yelling at the offiicial. Thankfully I had the V-neck undershirt on that day. Of course she found plenty of other flaws in my game.

It was probably me!!!! LOL, but i got it taken care of now ;)

riverfalls57 Thu Jan 28, 2010 06:01pm

I like the under armour tactical heat gear v neck t shirt. You can't see the logo and it feels good under the shirt. I also just hang dry them.

26 Year Gap Thu Jan 28, 2010 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 656301)
I wear a sleeveless UA compression shirt. Cost $20 or so, but I like the shirt, so it was worth it to me (and I had a gift certificate, so it was free).

+1 [except the free part]

jalons Thu Jan 28, 2010 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 656461)
It was probably me!!!!

America's Best Officiating Camp in Elgin, IL?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 656461)
LOL, but i got it taken care of now ;)

The things we can learn from others.....

CLH Thu Jan 28, 2010 08:36pm

yep that was probably me, thank you lisa mattingly...lol

biggravy Thu Jan 28, 2010 09:09pm

Another vote for the WM Starter shirts. Cheap and very similar to UA.

Welpe Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:16pm

I bought a couple of these, which I like quite a bit underneath the Ultimate shirt sold by the same vendor.

Diamond V-Neck HOTSPORT® Loose Fit Shirt - Black: Ump Attire

Honig's as a v-neck undershirt from McDavid. They also have a compression v-neck and sleeveless v-neck.

http://www.honigs.com/sub/5/A55

Texas Aggie Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:31pm

Quote:

under armour tactical heat gear v neck t shirt
That's what I wear and have been wearing them for 5 years or so. Now they are sold in more places but when I first got them, they were only sold in police supply places. No biggie either way.

I don't, however, like the newer UA fabric. I started wearing the Nike Pro shirt in football and will replace my UA shirts in basketball on an as needed basis. I wish they had a v-neck. I don't like the black showing, though it does depend on both the cut of the undershirt and officials shirt.

jdw3018 Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by riverfalls57 (Post 656472)
I like the under armour tactical heat gear v neck t shirt. You can't see the logo and it feels good under the shirt. I also just hang dry them.

This is what I wear. Plus the compression holds stuff where it's supposed to be.

I do, however, wash them. Cause I sweat a lot.

Texas Aggie Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:53pm

I'm sure he washes them too, but means he doesn't put them in the dryer. I had been air drying (no heat) my synthetics in the dryer (except uniforms) after washing. Now my new washer is so good they will air dry on their own in anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour (socks).

I highly recommend a front load washer when you replace your current one. You can set it on high spin and even cotton clothes can air/hang dry in a very short time.