The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:48pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Sometimes you just keep quiet

Had a JVG game in my secondary association tonight. At halftime, one of the guys on the second game indicated my mechanic was wrong on a team control foul. [It wasn't.] I had a training session in the summer and it was being taught incorrectly. I emailed my old interpreter who was on the rules committee when the change was made and the mechanic introduced. And he indicated that what I had been doing was the correct mechanic.

I elected to not argue with the guy and decided that since I will not be working games in this association next season due to travel distance, that I did not tell my partner that the guy was wrong.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Had a JVG game in my secondary association tonight. At halftime, one of the guys on the second game indicated my mechanic was wrong on a team control foul. [It wasn't.] I had a training session in the summer and it was being taught incorrectly. I emailed my old interpreter who was on the rules committee when the change was made and the mechanic introduced. And he indicated that what I had been doing was the correct mechanic.

I elected to not argue with the guy and decided that since I will not be working games in this association next season due to travel distance, that I did not tell my partner that the guy was wrong.
Who had more years of officiating, you or him? If him, I'd keep my mouth shut. If you, I would've said something. That's just me.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Who had more years of officiating, you or him? If him, I'd keep my mouth shut. If you, I would've said something. That's just me.
One of my peeves. 'Cause new dogs can (diplomatically)teach old dogs new tricks. It really depends on the parties involved. If both parties are open to constructive discussion, offering a rules or mechanics correction is a plus for all. It is not uncommon for newer officials to be current on changes in the last few years that some more experienced veterans are unaware of. Accepting a valid suggestion from a less experienced veteran does wonders for his/her confidence and helps the crew.

I have worked with experienced officials this season who are not clear on the NFHS time out position change that leaves one official with the ball and the other at the top or bottom of the division line circle. It really does not matter who points out the correct position. Getting it wrong makes the crew look bad.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
One of my peeves. 'Cause new dogs can (diplomatically)teach old dogs new tricks. It really depends on the parties involved. If both parties are open to constructive discussion, offering a rules or mechanics correction is a plus for all. It is not uncommon for newer officials to be current on changes in the last few years that some more experienced veterans are unaware of. Accepting a valid suggestion from a less experienced veteran does wonders for his/her confidence and helps the crew.

I have worked with experienced officials this season who are not clear on the NFHS time out position change that leaves one official with the ball and the other at the top or bottom of the division line circle. It really does not matter who points out the correct position. Getting it wrong makes the crew look bad.
Yes, I do agree with that. What I don't like is someone (and we had two or three of these this year) who ref'ed many years ago, took 10-15 years off, and comes back to officiating and they try to tell me how to officiate when they don't know the mechanics that have changed since their days. The game has changed over the past 10 years, out with the old habits and in with the new.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:28pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I suspect that what he was pushing was college mechanics. Some guys don't leave their college mechanics in their bag when they do HS games. It was not that important to indicate that he was incorrect. If I were going to remain in the association, it might be a bigger issue, because I am not going to do something I know is wrong just to make some guys happy.