View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja View Post
One of my peeves. 'Cause new dogs can (diplomatically)teach old dogs new tricks. It really depends on the parties involved. If both parties are open to constructive discussion, offering a rules or mechanics correction is a plus for all. It is not uncommon for newer officials to be current on changes in the last few years that some more experienced veterans are unaware of. Accepting a valid suggestion from a less experienced veteran does wonders for his/her confidence and helps the crew.

I have worked with experienced officials this season who are not clear on the NFHS time out position change that leaves one official with the ball and the other at the top or bottom of the division line circle. It really does not matter who points out the correct position. Getting it wrong makes the crew look bad.
Yes, I do agree with that. What I don't like is someone (and we had two or three of these this year) who ref'ed many years ago, took 10-15 years off, and comes back to officiating and they try to tell me how to officiate when they don't know the mechanics that have changed since their days. The game has changed over the past 10 years, out with the old habits and in with the new.