The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 06:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

JVG funnies

Last night, home wins going away, and it's clear early (as soon as they hit their first three 3 pt. shots.)

Midway through the third quarter, I white has the ball under her basket. Minor contact from behind, then she puts the ball down in a dribble (she'd already used it). I call it, and hear the coach yell, "she was pushed, that's why she double dribbled." I ignore him and start to administer the throw in, and I hear him say "Calm down? Okay, I'll calm down." I look up, and he's looking at one of his players and laughing as he says it. He'd been quiet all night and it was a good moment.

Later, early fourth quarter, after we call a shooting foul putting blue on the line, I hear him behind me, clearly talking to his girls, "Look at the score, we're not going to get a whistle."

Two good laughs in one game.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:12pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Smile I had a funny tonight too......

B12U Rec Game.

Ball goes out of bounds under basket. B's ball going the other way. I see three little kids watching the game and looking at the ball in the corner. I said, "Can anyone help the ole ref?"

A little girl maybe three or four yrs old gets up, runs after the ball, picks it up and runs toward me and throws it as hard as she can down court!

It only made it to the Division Line before it was retrieved.

Parents and I had a good laugh!
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
B12U Rec Game.

Ball goes out of bounds under basket. B's ball going the other way. I see three little kids watching the game and looking at the ball in the corner. I said, "Can anyone help the ole ref?"

A little girl maybe three or four yrs old gets up, runs after the ball, picks it up and runs toward me and throws it as hard as she can down court!

Bad hand-eye coordination maybe?
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:59pm
We don't rent pigs

At our local rec league, there is a foosball table shoved up in a corner, along with a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff. Last week the ball rolled up under the table and disappeared from sight. Little girl gave me a quizzical look.
I said "I guess we can't play any more."

It was amazing how quickly she scrambled up under the table and retrieved the ball.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Give it here you little bast***

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
B12U Rec Game.

Saw one similar about 7 years ago. Youth league game being played in an old gym that has the stage at one end (no curtains anymore). Occasionally an airball will bounce and go out of bounds up on the stage that is about 4feet higher than the gym floor. I usually vault up on the stage and grab the ball if no players are around to fetch the ball. I was trail in this situation and the ball rolls to the back wall of the stage. My partner, the lead, about 50 at the time, (doesn't vault anymore). I see him look at the ball stuck on the back wall and then he looks around for a player. Right about this time a 4 year old boy is walking past and Jim looks down and the little kid puts his arms up (Jim knew him and his parents) so Jim lifts him up on the stage and points and says something to the kid. I see the kid nod his head and he runs over and grabs the ball. Jim then puts his hands out like toss me the ball. The little kid looks at him for a second and then starts dribbling the ball all over the stage. He is totally ignoring Jim. I see Jim trying to talk the kid into giving him the ball but oh no, its a Dennis the Menace twin. I yelled to Jim, " T him up!" Father finally comes over and the little kids gives up the ball. Whole gym is laughing, best entertainment all night.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Upward ref
During my sons k-2nd grade game ( he's in 1st grade) the ball and his team are headed up the court on offense when we notice his team has only 4 blue jerseys playing. We all look down the other end to see him sitting in the bottom bleacher on a teenage girls lap, like he was without a care in the world. He has a few teenage girls he thinks are pretty cool . Coach just shrugs his shoulders .
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:15pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Talking Ya just can't make this stuff up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudwhistle View Post
I see the kid nod his head and he runs over and grabs the ball. Jim then puts his hands out like toss me the ball. The little kid looks at him for a second and then starts dribbling the ball all over the stage. He is totally ignoring Jim. I see Jim trying to talk the kid into giving him the ball but oh no, its a Dennis the Menace twin. I yelled to Jim, " T him up!" Father finally comes over and the little kids gives up the ball. Whole gym is laughing, best entertainment all night.
I've reffed in a few gyms with stages but thankfully, never had this happen. Great story!