The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Gutless!

As a non official friend of mine calls us sometimes, in jest.

GV, I was new lead in a transition steal, A1 has a straight line to basket, B1 right on her, but behind, fouls her with no chance to make a play. I don't call intentional. Darn! A coach whines a little but is comfortably up, which was good for me. All day, I was thinking about exact situation. Darn it!!! Partners both said they would have probably called it. It wasn't that obvious, but definitely an intentional.

Filed away.........

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 10:49am.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
As a non official friend of mine calls us sometimes.

GV, I was new lead in a transition steal, A1 has a straight line to basket, B1 right on her, but behind, fouls her with no chance to make a play. I don't call intentional. Darn! A coach whines a little but is comfortably up, which was good for me. All day, I was thinking about exact situation. Darn it!!! Partners both said they would have probably called it. It wasn't that obvious, but definitely an intentional.

Filed away.........
If they would have called it, one of them should have approached (before you reported) and let you know what they thought!

-Josh
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
If they would have called it, one of them should have approached (before you reported) and let you know what they thought!

-Josh

Good point.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 11:45am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Filed away.........
Won't happen again, will it?

You took it for what it was...a learning experience.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 07:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

All Four Intentional ...

Quote:
Fouls her with no chance to make a play.
Push from behind, bear hug, jersey grab, excessive contact?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Or perhaps just spilled her lunch on her back.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
As I wrote Billy, it wasn't much, a 'clean' foul, but in the back, therefore intentional
Old Wed Jan 27, 2010, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Partners both said they would have probably called it.
Then why didn't one of them call it?
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

It's there or not

If it's intentional or flagrant, I know it when I see it and call it as I see it. Thinking about whether it was intentional or flagrant never did anyone any good. It's there or it's not, and the question of whether it is there or it's not is a matter for the calling official, not to someone making an out-of-area observation. The other official may have an observation to make later about whether an intentional or flagrant ought to have been called, and we will discuss that in the spirit of improvement. But on the court, if I have the foul, I have the determination of intentional or flagrant and my word is the last and only. Having an other official chime in by ruling on whether or not a foul I call was intentional or flagrant is a recipe for disaster.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
Having an other official chime in by ruling on whether or not a foul I call was intentional or flagrant is a recipe for disaster.
without the benefit of a replay monitor, I would absolutely expect that my partners will provide me with information about whether an intentional foul or flagrant foul should be called. DO NOT keep that info. to yourself and then tell me about it in the locker room! - THAT is the definition of gutless....imho.

btw, the disaster occurs after an intentional or flagrant foul is not called when it is needed (either during the game or the next day when your supervisor calls you to discuss your lack of action)....
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As a non official friend of mine calls us sometimes, in jest.

Filed away.........
I saw the title of this thread and absolutely had to read it.

I like your friend's style!

I hope that it only takes a couple of these "moments" for you to leap over this hurdle. Some officials never make that jump. They will always be weak and shy away from making the tough call in a critical situation. I don't look forward to working with those partners.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 05:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post

-Josh
Why? Did one of them also have a whistle on the play? If not, then they should stay the heck out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
without the benefit of a replay monitor, I would absolutely expect that my partners will provide me with information about whether an intentional foul or flagrant foul should be called. DO NOT keep that info. to yourself and then tell me about it in the locker room! - THAT is the definition of gutless....imho.

btw, the disaster occurs after an intentional or flagrant foul is not called when it is needed (either during the game or the next day when your supervisor calls you to discuss your lack of action)....
If I don't have a whistle on the play, then you can call whatever you wish. I don't care.
That said, if I observe an intentional of flagrant foul ANYWHERE on the court, I will blow the whistle and if one of my partners also has a whistle, then we can talk, but I'm not yielding to him if he only has a common foul. I learned a long time ago from a fantastic mentor to never give up anything which you see as intentional or flagrant.

You are correct that passing on such is going to lead to big problems later.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I saw the title of this thread and absolutely had to read it.

I like your friend's style!

I hope that it only takes a couple of these "moments" for you to leap over this hurdle. Some officials never make that jump. They will always be weak and shy away from making the tough call in a critical situation. I don't look forward to working with those partners.
I'm ready!
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 12:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I trust my partner to make this call.

If I have a double whistle, then if one of us has intentional and or flagrant, it's going to be enforced -- we're not going to "downgrade" that.

I still work a lot of 2-person and there are fouls that we have to get because we simply have the best angle. Right before halftime on Tuesday, we have a transition play where the defender clearly blocks the guy driving to the bucket. Big crash, no LGP, I'm the trail coming up from behind. I gave my partner a second and then came in and got it. He told me at halftime that he had players cut in front and had a bad look.

Maybe there's something he can do for the next time to improve that look and we can talk about that after the game, but when it happens, I'm not necessarily going to make us live and die with that. In transition, especially in 2-person, we both need to officiate contact on a drive and if the T is the only one to come up with a whistle, so be it.
Old Thu Jan 28, 2010, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Then why didn't one of them call it?
First of all I called it. If they want to come in to discuss, fine. Secondly, it wasn't much but there was no intent to make a play as she was directly
behind A1.