The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Anything middle school and high school, I'll have a captain's meeting no matter what. If I'm not the R and my partner isn't getting around to it, I'll go ahead and knock it out of the way. If it's rec ball, I'll do it time permitting.

My captains meeting literally goes like this:

"Any questions before we start?" No
"Make sure you display good sportsmanship towards us and your opponents. Make sure no one has anything illegal on (this is the only bit of information that I've seen that MIGHT get passed along)"

I'll ask if my partner has anything to add. If my partner starts rambling off about color lines and reaching and what not, I'll just nod off at this point.

When I wake up, finish off with wishing both good luck and we're good to go. All this takes about 20 seconds barring a partner who goes into detail
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

to the point

Keep it short and sweet!

My partner last night had them in there for seriously more than 5 minutes. By the time he excused the coaches the girls (and myself) were bored to death, then he proceeded to talk about everything from playing defense straight up to three seconds in the key. Black was going into the locker room around the 7 minute mark (we get captains at 12 here) and the team left them.....finally I (awoke) clapped my hands and said "Have fun girls" and walked away.
Old Fri Jan 29, 2010, 12:01pm
Huck Finn

At this time of year, I just say something about sportsmanship and that is it.

I had a team last night for the third time. The first time I gave a player and the coach a T. I don't think I gave anyone a T the second time and last night I T'd up the same player, from game one, early in the first quarter. Sportsmanship, extension of the classroom, fans and player following the actions/reactions of the coach, etc. I guess I'm old school, but I don't like a whole bunch of antics after an official makes a call.